OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So we were talking about the wonders of sous vide.

Such a fantastic product.

I don't think people realize it doesn't matter if you can do things without it. The point is you need to do absolutely jack shit and get the right results.

I literally season ribs, throw them in a bag and forget about it.

If I take it out in 12, 16, 20, 24, 36 hours it doesn't matter, it won't overcook.

I just take it out, throw it on grill for a few minutes, coat it with BBQ sauce and forget 'fall off the bone'...the bone is literally begging to escape.

Personally, I'm just a meat lover so I do a lot of steaks, roasts, ribs, etc... with it.

Sous Vide Everything on youtube really does quite a few things, experiments and the whole lot with sous vide. A good guide. He was posted on last page and I highly recommend him as well.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So we were talking about the wonders of sous vide.

Such a fantastic product.

I don't think people realize it doesn't matter if you can do things without it. The point is you need to do absolutely jack shit and get the right results.

I literally season ribs, throw them in a bag and forget about it.

If I take it out in 12, 16, 20, 24, 36 hours it doesn't matter, it won't overcook.

I just take it out, throw it on grill for a few minutes, coat it with BBQ sauce and forget 'fall off the bone'...the bone is literally begging to escape.

Personally, I'm just a meat lover so I do a lot of steaks, roasts, ribs, etc... with it.

Sous Vide Everything on youtube really does quite a few things, experiments and the whole lot with sous vide. A good guide. He was posted on last page and I highly recommend him as well.

You can't overcook, but at some point the meat texture and taste will change. As usual, Guga comes to the rescue with an experiment:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Made a boat load of various type cookie dough's and sampled some before freezing. A good variety and some special ones for the proper occasion,tasty,sweet and potent:thumbu:

What kind of sweetener do you use? If standard sugar, do you try to limit quantities from original recipes or do you swap in Splenda, Stevia and the like?

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I made pork adobo and a nice bowl of rice for dinner.

IMG_20201209_194529__01.jpg

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
What kind of sweetener do you use? If standard sugar, do you try to limit quantities from original recipes or do you swap in Splenda, Stevia and the like?

Baking is not exactly in my wheelhouse,so I pretty much stick to the recipe that I'm doing at the time. I don't really want to take a chance and ruin it,that's right peate I said ruin:)but it's a treat and not a meal. And I really have no idea if I could even sous vide cookies,pies,and cakes.Where is EF Hutton when you need him:laugh:
upload_2020-12-10_9-53-54.jpeg

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Baking is not exactly in my wheelhouse,so I pretty much stick to the recipe that I'm doing at the time. I don't really want to take a chance and ruin it,that's right peate I said ruin:)but it's a treat and not a meal. And I really have no idea if I could even sous vide cookies,pies,and cakes.Where is EF Hutton when you need him:laugh:
View attachment 378554

Cookies
Sous Vide Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cakes
Sous Vide Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Sous Vide Flourless Chocolate Cake

Pie! (Just the filling though)
Sous Vide Chai-Spiced Apple Pie Recipe | Williams Sonoma Taste

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Never tried making adobo,but you make it look great!Complex?
Had no idea you also played drums:)

Adobo is usually made with pork or chicken, slow cooked with a sauce of soy, palm or cane vinegar, garlic and some sugar. I also use Thai chiles, dried shiitake mushrooms, ginger and/or galangal in my version.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Adobo is usually made with pork or chicken, slow cooked with a sauce of soy, palm or cane vinegar, garlic and some sugar. I also use Thai chiles, dried shiitake mushrooms, ginger and/or galangal in my version.

Definitely has some Asian influence there,not often I see anyone mention galangal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad