OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
That's what it looked like,never heard of that tbo. is it a thing? more to it? Like Treb above with ham,never knew something like that existed,from where?
I only tried it because of a sarcastic comment made by a mustard hater on a discord server i'm on
1d7b1aa434.jpg

But after trying, I did some research and there's a small aromatic pairing between the two (on FoodPairing), and it seems there's a dish that uses mustard seeds and plantains (I know, different from the typical cavendish banana) from India.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I only tried it because of a sarcastic comment made by a mustard hater on a discord server i'm on
1d7b1aa434.jpg

But after trying, I did some research and there's a small aromatic pairing between the two (on FoodPairing), and it seems there's a dish that uses mustard seeds and plantains (I know, different from the typical cavendish banana) from India.

YUM!:thumbu::thumbu:

Gonna have to try that.

Understand that individuals tastes and palate differ,but to hate a food item:facepalm:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Nicely done,did you like it? I've tried it but was not for me.
It was cool to try, and I enjoyed it. i don't think I'll make it part of my regular rotation of meals, but that's what we normally do on each other's birthdays. We take turns making things that we know would be cool but that we normally don't want to make for whatever reason ahah

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Five guys is good but if I have a choice, Uniburger is my go-to. I think they've won best burger in canada before. They're slow as f***, though. 5guys beats them on service hard.
I'm not in Montreal so I miss out on that.

And when I'm in Montreal, I have a few visits I need to make.

1. Pizza. There used to be the classic greek owned pizzeria where I grew up. Luna on Gouins in Pierrefonds. Freaking amazing. Went back a few years ago and it's not the same anymore. Getting harder and harder to find now. I do enjoy Calzone's in the West Island when I'm there, it's a good substitute but it's not the same. Of all the things I miss most about Montreal food, it's the pizza.

2. Lafleurs. Must have. The fries remain the greatest I've ever had anywhere. Probably fried about 25 times. The best.

3. Montreal smoked meat. No trip is complete without.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

1. Pizza. There used to be the classic greek owned pizzeria where I grew up. Luna on Gouins in Pierrefonds. Freaking amazing. Went back a few years ago and it's not the same anymore. Getting harder and harder to find now. I do enjoy Calzone's in the West Island when I'm there, it's a good substitute but it's not the same. Of all the things I miss most about Montreal food, it's the pizza.

2. Lafleurs. Must have. The fries remain the greatest I've ever had anywhere. Probably fried about 25 times. The best.

Right, I forgot you're not in MTL. I think they're looking for franchisees, though. You could be the burger king of Ontario.

I'm also a big fan of that greek/quebecois style pizza and it is getting harder to find it done well. I used to love this place called Granada in montreal north. Vincent's was also pretty good. Finding a good steamé place is also getting more difficult :(

What was your smoked meat place? I've tried most of the heavy hitters and my favorite will always be Jarry's, but I think I'm biased as an east end kid.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Right, I forgot you're not in MTL. I think they're looking for franchisees, though. You could be the burger king of Ontario.

I'm also a big fan of that greek/quebecois style pizza and it is getting harder to find it done well. I used to love this place called Granada in montreal north. Vincent's was also pretty good. Finding a good steamé place is also getting more difficult :(

What was your smoked meat place? I've tried most of the heavy hitters and my favorite will always be Jarry's, but I think I'm biased as an east end kid.
Snowden's is pretty good. There was a great spot in the West Island for a while from the son of one of the guys who ran Schwartz's but it closed down.

Honestly though, I'm not picky. You guys will turn your nose up at say... Chenoy's but I'll eat there anytime! :laugh:

Is Vincent's a chain?

Last edited:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

I always figured your username was about the hockey player, but today I learned that you just really like fries.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I always figured your username was about the hockey player, but today I learned that you just really like fries.
Fun fact:

I joined the old Montreal Canadiens board years go under this username. It was over policed so I wound up on... the Leaf board for a long time. It was actually a pretty fun place to post. Then somebody told me about this place so I joined here.

On the Leaf board my name was: Lafleurs Fries. :)

My avatar was the restaurant logo. I still occasionally use it here.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal

Miss Jean talon had some great pizza. Not sure how it is today. Its been 4 years since I've lived in MTL, but the pizza scene from I've seen when visiting is losing that Greek style pizza to the chains and crappy 2 for or to the fancy wood oven style.

Pendelis pepperoni or all dressed in CSL road is an other great one.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Fun fact:

I joined the old Montreal Canadiens board years go under this username. It was over policed so I wound up on... the Leaf board for a long time. It was actually a pretty fun place to post. Then somebody told me about this place so I joined here.

On the Leaf board my name was: Lafleurs Fries. :)

My avatar was the restaurant logo. I still occasionally use it here.
:laugh: that's great.

I have maybe 25-50 posts on the old canadiens.com board before finding this place too. It wasn't great.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Miss Jean talon had some great pizza. Not sure how it is today. Its been 4 years since I've lived in MTL, but the pizza scene from I've seen when visiting is losing that Greek style pizza to the chains and crappy 2 for or to the fancy wood oven style.

Pendelis pepperoni or all dressed in CSL road is an other great one.
Pendelis is pretty freaking good.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
:laugh: that's great.

I have maybe 25-50 posts on the old canadiens.com board before finding this place too. It wasn't great.
It sucked. :laugh:

When I was on the Leaf board they came and tried to recruit me back. They said there was a problematic Mod over there that they'd gotten rid of. Whatever... at that point I wasn't returning.

Anyways, glad to find this place and fellow Hab fans.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It was cool to try, and I enjoyed it. i don't think I'll make it part of my regular rotation of meals, but that's what we normally do on each other's birthdays. We take turns making things that we know would be cool but that we normally don't want to make for whatever reason ahah

Nice! get a nice home made meal. We just usually go out and then reenact scenes from the 50 shades franchise films:eek::jk: or am I?:naughty:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Snowden's is pretty good. There was a great spot in the West Island for a while from the son of one of the guys who ran Schwartz's but it closed down.

Honestly though, I'm not picky. You guys will turn your nose up at say... Chenoy's but I'll eat there anytime! :laugh:

Is Vincent's a chain?

Is there that much of a difference between the smoked meat joints? have had some wherever and don't really notice much difference.:dunno:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I do like my mustard, but never considered making it. Is it worth it? easy enough?

I only made it a couple of times, I would not say it is worth it since mustard is not very expensive but it was pretty good. One time I did a really good one with mustard powder and cracked mustard seeds, that type of mustard is called Scania Mustard = Skånsk Senap in Sweden , the other time I made a honey mustard but that one was so so.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I only made it a couple of times, I would not say it is worth it since mustard is not very expensive but it was pretty good. One time I did a really good one with mustard powder and cracked mustard seeds, that type of mustard is called Scania Mustard = Skånsk Senap in Sweden , the other time I made a honey mustard but that one was so so.

Very similar to what I get from the NL it seems.

upload_2021-4-29_12-26-15.jpeg
upload_2021-4-29_12-26-29.jpeg

I'll whip up some honey mustard for salad dressing or chicken tender dips,but the mustard is store bought Dijon.Some things are just not worth the time and money,but fun at times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad