OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Any of you try goodfood? Thinking on checking it out.

I have tried both HelloFresh and GoodFood. I can tell you both lack actual flavor. The recipes are easy to follow but sometimes have you questioning what drugs the people were on when they come up with the recipe. You’ll need copious amounts of salt and pepper.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I have tried both HelloFresh and GoodFood. I can tell you both lack actual flavor. The recipes are easy to follow but sometimes have you questioning what drugs the people were on when they come up with the recipe. You’ll need copious amounts of salt and pepper.
BUT ITS HEALTHYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyy

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Thanks! was curious in regards to laws and regulations which may prevent items being permitted for sale in Quebec.

That is a massive amount of fois gras! You'd actually morph into what you've consumed in the same manner.:)

The idea is to have a couple or 3 nice portions and go back in another month or so. :laugh:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I've only tried GoodFood, but I can attest to that entirely.

It lacked flavour big time.

Once my trial discount ended I shed the service immediately.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Different taste, and different reaction if you bring that to a party.
All the girls are always so impressed by the beacon wrapped dates...so if you're single and have to bring dates to a party, beacon wrapped dates buddy! Guarantee you leave with at least one number ;)

Had no idea that Jeddah was hot spot for the singles scene.:laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The original version was grilled chicken liver wrapped in bacon on a skewer. That was called Angels on Horseback. This being a similar snack was given a similar name.

Still find it curious as why they are named as such. In this context,bacon is the horseback and visually I just don't see the relation,but it's food and delicious is all that matters. I suppose a list could be made of unusual sounding items for anything.:)

Reactions: Runner77

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Still find it curious as why they are named as such. In this context,bacon is the horseback and visually I just don't see the relation,but it's food and delicious is all that matters. I suppose a list could be made of unusual sounding items for anything.:)

It is odd. The Angels has been around since at least the 60's, so I guess there's generational and cultural aspects to those names.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
@angusyoung I did some research and the original Angels on Horseback is a British appetizer with oysters wrapped in bacon. I imagine in landlocked places, chicken livers were substituted. Those are the ones I recall from my childhood.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Didn't try it there lol but..there is a big underground scene in KSA, and ya, it's quite active for singles.

Would it not still be a dicey situation? what would the repercussions be if caught let's say? I heard they amputate a hand for stealing, what do they amputate for frolicking?Mr.Johnson?:(

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Would it not still be a dicey situation? what would the repercussions be if caught let's say? I heard they amputate a hand for stealing, what do they amputate for frolicking?Mr.Johnson?:(
Police aren't looking for this. It used to be the Hay'a, islamic religious police, but they were stripped of all power. It's still frowned upon culturally so you don't flaunt it and there's zero public display of affection, but...like...Tinder is very active and there are known coffee shops/restaurants/spots where singles meet.

When I was looking for an apartment, it's one of the first things the sales clerk told me there..''we sell ''special'' drinks at our restaurant, and if you want to have friends over it's all at your discretion. This is a private gated community.''

I mean...it's not Montreal or San Fran or Hong Kong or even Dubai, but it's not as bad as most think either.
You can find any alcool or drug you want if you dig enough.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Police aren't looking for this. It used to be the Hay'a, islamic religious police, but they were stripped of all power. It's still frowned upon culturally so you don't flaunt it and there's zero public display of affection, but...like...Tinder is very active and there are known coffee shops/restaurants/spots where singles meet.

When I was looking for an apartment, it's one of the first things the sales clerk told me there..''we sell ''special'' drinks at our restaurant, and if you want to have friends over it's all at your discretion. This is a private gated community.''

I mean...it's not Montreal or San Fran or Hong Kong or even Dubai, but it's not as bad as most think either.
You can find any alcool or drug you want if you dig enough.

Glad to hear that they are evolving somewhat to time. Years ago it was prudent for non locals to pretty much stay on the compounds,but thing were available there,except woman!

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
@angusyoung I did some research and the original Angels on Horseback is a British appetizer with oysters wrapped in bacon. I imagine in landlocked places, chicken livers were substituted. Those are the ones I recall from my childhood.
There's also Pigs in a blanket, but that's with dough wrapped around a weenie. There's a name for bacon and hot dog pieces but I can't remember.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
There's also Pigs in a blanket, but that's with dough wrapped around a weenie. There's a name for bacon and hot dog pieces but I can't remember.

The pigs in a blanket I'm familiar with is a breakfast sausage wrapped in a pancake. Basically the same thing. The one you know was called a danger dog and originated in Mexico. :)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Made my wife and I a blueberry lemon drop this evening. The berries don't come through as much as I had hoped, but it's still quite good!

EbV7H3h.jpg

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
One thing I miss about Saudi Arabia, their dates. The best in the world, it's just not comparable. Delicious stuff.

Side note...beacon wrapped dates is my go-to potluck appetizer or desert. It's like candy...

That's known as Devils on Horseback. :)

Had some recently from Notre-Boeuf-de-Grâce. They had goat cheese inside and served with hot sauce. Pretty good.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad