OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Looks delicious! I make a very similar one but with smoked sausage or ham hocks, which of course isn't in your wheelhouse.

It's especially appreciated on snowy days.
Thank you!

Have to say that in my family (Ukrainian from my dad's side) we never used pork products for borscht, but I did see plenty of recipes for it including pork products when I looked it up just now.

Have you ever tried making a "solyanka"? It's another type of a soup originated in the Ukraine that indeed uses cured meats (pork sausage mostly), but it also emphasizes "sol" (salt in Russian) by including lots of pickled veg such as olives, cucumbers, cabbage, etc.

But, speaking of iconic Eastern European soups the number one has to be shchi (Щи). It is something that all Russians know exactly what it is. Unfortunately, it cannot be made vegan (it requires animal fat to offset its extreme sourness and funk from the fermented cabbage). I actually still dream of it at times to this day. Its smell mostly, it would perfume the entire house as the soup simmered on the stove. My grandmother from my mom's side really knew how to make it well. I'd go for a bowl of her shchi right now and I'd suck those pork bones clean. Unless you pickle and ferment your cabbage yourself, some part of the flavour is going to be lost unfortunately. Before I became vegan I've tried countless times to replicate the white shchi (there's also a red variant), but always failed because no store-bought sauerkraut could compete with the original version I remember tasting.

sm-bigstock-russian-cabbage-soup-26648261.jpeg

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Thank you!

Have to say that in my family (Ukrainian from my dad's side) we never used pork products for borscht, but I did see plenty of recipes for it including pork products when I looked it up just now.

Have you ever tried making a "solyanka"? It's another type of a soup originated in the Ukraine that indeed uses cured meats (pork sausage mostly), but it also emphasizes "sol" (salt in Russian) by including lots of pickled veg such as olives, cucumbers, cabbage, etc.

But, speaking of iconic Eastern European soups the number one has to be shchi (Щи). It is something that all Russians know exactly what it is. Unfortunately, it cannot be made vegan (it requires animal fat to offset its extreme sourness and funk from the fermented cabbage). I actually still dream of it at times to this day. Its smell mostly, it would perfume the entire house as the soup simmered on the stove. My grandmother from my mom's side really knew how to make it well. I'd go for a bowl of her shchi right now and I'd suck those pork bones clean. Unless you pickle and ferment your cabbage yourself, some part of the flavour is going to be lost unfortunately. Before I became vegan I've tried countless times to replicate the white shchi (there's also a red variant), but always failed because no store-bought sauerkraut could compete with the original version I remember tasting.

It's amazing how detailed and defined food memories can be - even after many, many years.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Thank you!

My Ukrainian Baba’s borscht was red in color. That looks f***ing awesome! Her recipe calls for some tomatoes.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
After chatting with @groovejuice last night, I got inspired to make a vegan version of a Georgian satsivi dish (one of my fondest early childhood memories). It is typically marinated chicken thighs stewed in a very rich walnut & coriander sauce.

My first thought was to replace the chicken with tofu, and lo and behold - I found a recipe that uses extra firm tofu as the substitute for the chicken!

Going to attempt to make this for the Canada Day. It's a highly complex and time consuming dish (especially with tofu since it has so much water content in it), so fingers crossed I get it right.

Last edited:

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
After chatting with @groovejuice last night, I got inspired to make a vegan version of a Georgian satsivi dish (one of my fondest early childhood memories). It is typically marinated chicken thighs stewed in a very rich walnut & coriander sauce.

My first thought was to replace the chicken with tofu, and lo and behold - I found a recipe that uses extra firm tofu as the substitute for the chicken!

Going to attempt to make this for the Canada Day. It's a highly complex and time consuming dish (especially with tofu since it has so much water content in it), so fingers crossed I get it right.

You should try that with the tofu - press and freeze. It really, really does wonders for the texture. :)

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Make often a reverse ''shoyu''. Fry the protien of choice and then in the ample amount of ''marinade'' and simmer and toss in peppers etc ,goes great on rice!

Reactions: groovejuice

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Made a vegan version of the satsivi dish I talked about earlier. Shocked how well it came out. One of the best things I've eaten in probably last several years. The interplay of pomegranate juice, walnuts, coriander and all the spices is out of this world!

Here it is served over basmati rice with lavash bread.

IMG_0299.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad