OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What’s baos?

Steamed buns stuffed with stuff, usually a minced meat mixture and hard boiled eggs (i think)

There are many variation from salty to sweet.
Baozi - Wikipedia

I guess yours would be a dàbāo (if you made the "Chinese" one). Many Asian countries have their own variations. I love the Malaysian one with curry (had it in a Chinese bakery though).

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Made a vegan version of the satsivi dish I talked about earlier. Shocked how well it came out. One of the best things I've eaten in probably last several years. The interplay of pomegranate juice, walnuts, coriander and all the spices is out of this world!

Here it is served over basmati rice with lavash bread.

View attachment 352095

That looks fantastic!

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
So unrelated to what's being discussed. What style of burger is everyone into? I definitely prefer the thin style smash burger.

In the summer, I just use the grill since I'd rather not fill my house with smoke if it can be avoided. It's obviously also very good, but not my #1 pick.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So unrelated to what's being discussed. What style of burger is everyone into? I definitely prefer the thin style smash burger.

In the summer, I just use the grill since I'd rather not fill my house with smoke if it can be avoided. It's obviously also very good, but not my #1 pick.

Buy a cast iron griddle for your grill and smash it on it.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Thick patty on the Q. No shortage of fat for sure and then whatever toppings I'm feeling that day.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Saskatchewan snow beef
98061287_536990320313867_1329875746339946496_o.jpg

vs

Hokkaido snow beef
58033091_2257495704503692_8664209613228343296_o.jpg

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It's clear and not the same cut either. Can't see how so many places can get away calling ''beef'' wagyu when it is not. Wagyu is specific breeds from a specific region,like champagne,can't call it champagne if it's not from Champagne.:groucho:
It's an interesting story with this snow beef and how their operation came to be. Of course not true Wagyu but a hybrid of it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

Back when I used to eat meat my favourite were burgers with two thin patties of in-house ground chuck/round combo cooked on a flat top.

I personally don't like when those patties are hacked up by spatulas while they're cooking as some places do. I understand that doing so reduces the cooking time and yields more caramelization, but it also renders the patties more dry.

I don't think I've ever had a top shelf burger in Quebec or even Canada sadly. They're always overcooked up here, probably because the meat isn't ground in-house (a heath safety concern I assume).

My favourite burger would be two thin patties with American cheese melted on top, with 2-3 in-house made pickle slices and in a Brioche bun. No sauce, no lettuce or other veg on it. That's exactly what I had at a NYC restaurant a few times. Sadly the name of the establishment escapes me right now. :(

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
After chatting with @groovejuice last night, I got inspired to make a vegan version of a Georgian satsivi dish (one of my fondest early childhood memories). It is typically marinated chicken thighs stewed in a very rich walnut & coriander sauce.

My first thought was to replace the chicken with tofu, and lo and behold - I found a recipe that uses extra firm tofu as the substitute for the chicken!

Going to attempt to make this for the Canada Day. It's a highly complex and time consuming dish (especially with tofu since it has so much water content in it), so fingers crossed I get it right.

Thanks for posting the recipe. I went to a Georgian restaurant in Prague and it was really good. Got some bottles of Georgian champagne style bubbly that I really liked from the same restaurant and also Cuban cigars that I got for my dad.

Smoking killed him in the end but I think it was grief, my little sisters death was really hard on him since he adored her and when his wife (he remarried) died from cancer he stopped living. I remember talking to him on the phone and he was extremely depressed.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks for posting the recipe. I went to a Georgian restaurant in Prague and it was really good. Got some bottles of Georgian champagne style bubbly that I really liked from the same restaurant and also Cuban cigars that I got for my dad.

Smoking killed him in the end but I think it was grief, my little sisters death was really hard on him since he adored her and when his wife (he remarried) died from cancer he stopped living. I remember talking to him on the phone and he was extremely depressed.
Georgian cuisine is very unique IMO. I can't really compare it to another one. On one hand you might think it's closer to Middle Eastern food (Iran, Iraq, Turkey specifically), because some of the most common ingredients used are similar. Yet, it's not. It somehow bridges the gap between the West and the East with its flavours.

For example, Georgians use pork products while most of their neighbouring countries on the South side do not. But this isn't a country that consumes a lot of meat.

They don't use dried fruit nearly as much as other countries around. Rice or noodles aren't staples here either. Georgian cuisine doesn't rely on starch typically.

It's a lot of low and slow stewing and fresh vegetables that dominates Georgia's food culture. Their baked breads are some of the best in the world as is their red wine.

If I was to recommend one dish you should try it'd be Khachapuri (a cheese filled flatbread usually served with raw egg yolk on top), but I am not sure sulguni cheese can be found in North America.

Georgian soup dumplings (khinkali) are also outstanding.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Georgian cuisine is very unique IMO. I can't really compare it to another one. On one hand you might think it's closer to Middle Eastern food (Iran, Iraq, Turkey specifically), because some of the most common ingredients used are similar. Yet, it's not. It somehow bridges the gap between the West and the East with its flavours.

For example, Georgians use pork products while most of their neighbouring countries on the South side do not. But this isn't a country that consumes a lot of meat.

They don't use dried fruit nearly as much as other countries around. Rice or noodles aren't staples here either. Georgian cuisine doesn't rely on starch typically.

It's a lot of low and slow stewing and fresh vegetables that dominates Georgia's food culture. Their baked breads are some of the best in the world as is their red wine.

If I was to recommend one dish you should try it'd be Khachapuri (a cheese filled flatbread usually served with raw egg yolk on top), but I am not sure sulguni cheese can be found in North America.

Georgian soup dumplings (khinkali) are also outstanding.

I actually had that dish in Prague, I posted it in the Covid yesterday but it was deleted. That was the only dish I remembered when seeing pictures of Georgian food and it was great.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I actually had that dish in Prague, I posted it in the Covid yesterday but it was deleted. That was the only dish I remembered when seeing pictures of Georgian food and it was great.

Had some great food from the other famous Georgian cuisine.Unique place outside of Savannah,had to ring a bell and they open a slot in the door and then let you in:eek:Not sure what type of place it really was but I was the darkest one in there.:whaaa?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad