OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Anyone having a special meal for tonight’s game?

Just the usual,:thumbu:

images
upload_2020-8-1_10-32-52.jpeg
upload_2020-8-1_10-33-31.jpeg
upload_2020-8-1_10-34-35.jpeg

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
We'll see how it goes. Our first time buying meat at a butcher for burgers rather than just grocery store ground beef.
What's the meat to fat ratio you're going for? 80/20 at least I assume (70/30 is even better IMO).

Back when I used to grind my own burger blend I experimented a lot and eventually came to the conclusion that a 50/50 blend of sirloin and chuck never failed me at producing the moistest burgers.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Let me guess,you were drinking ouzo and playing golf on the shittiest golf-course in the world?me too!:laugh:
Rhodes was spectacular! Incredible culture... ancient and wicked lmao was during the Gulf War after 6 months of maritime interdiction in the Red Sea. People were incredibly kind to us. I’ll never forget that kindness. We were all fatigued, injured, and lumped up.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Vinegar or mayo based?

The former isn't as common this side of the pond and it isn't what I was raised on back in Russia, but it's the better kind IMO.
I’ve had both and love them both! I am more familiar with mayo based, Hellman’s, but am happy either way! I’m first generation American of Ukrainian decent. I miss my Baba’s cooking!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Vinegar based ones are better when serving hot, and mayo when serving cool, IMO.
I suppose you're right, I just don't like potatoes served cold. The vegetable seizes up and makes for a worse, denser texture IMO.

But, more importantly, it's critical to dress a mayo-based potato salad while the potatoes are still as hot as possible. In my experience, very few people are aware of how important it is for the overall flavour.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I suppose you're right, I just don't like potatoes served cold. The vegetable seizes up and makes for a worse, denser texture IMO.

But, more importantly, it's critical to dress a mayo-based potato salad while the potatoes are still as hot as possible. In my experience, very few people are aware of how important it is for the overall flavour.
I’m a huge coleslaw fan as well.

Reactions: angusyoung

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

My parents got me a smoking gun for Christmas last year or the year before, and we've used it on a few things but it's always been a one-time gimmick that we never bothered using again... until we made potato salad.

Cooked the potatoes normally, and then added the smoke for 5-10 minutes, and it's really great. It'll do until I eventually buy an smoker at home to smoke meats (and potatoes!).

Reactions: GoodKiwi and cphabs

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I’ve had both and love them both! I am more familiar with mayo based, Hellman’s, but am happy either way! I’m first generation American of Ukrainian decent. I miss my Baba’s cooking!
3 cups of young potatoes (the skins kept on)
75ml of white vinegar
3-4 tablespoons of white sugar
2-3 tablespoons of water
One medium-sized onion finely diced
A tablespoon of chopped parsley
Salt/black pepper to taste
Garnish with finely chopped chives and crisp bacon bits

It's a recipe I "stole" from one Bavarian lodge restaurant years ago. Doesn't get any better when it comes to a potato salad IMO.

Reactions: cphabs

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My parents got me a smoking gun for Christmas last year or the year before, and we've used it on a few things but it's always been a one-time gimmick that we never bothered using again... until we made potato salad.

Cooked the potatoes normally, and then added the smoke for 5-10 minutes, and it's really great. It'll do until I eventually buy an smoker at home to smoke meats (and potatoes!).
I went camping a little while ago and simply tossed a bunch of starchy potatoes wrapped in tinfoil on some ambers of the campfire. That blackened skin of them perfumed with smoke is something that's out of this world!

Add grilled, thick-sliced eggplant, tahini and coriander leaves. Wrap in pita and lose your mind enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad