OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
3 cups of young potatoes (the skins kept on)
75ml of white vinegar
3-4 tablespoons of white sugar
2-3 tablespoons of water
One medium-sized onion finely diced
A tablespoon of chopped parsley
Salt/black pepper to taste
Garnish with finely chopped chives and crisp bacon bits

It's a recipe I "stole" from one Bavarian lodge restaurant years ago. Doesn't get any better when it comes to a potato salad IMO.
Thank you!

Reactions: GoodKiwi

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I went to the butcher and had them grind up some sirloin and brisket and making some burgers.

It's an excellent comvination, but I hope they added some fat to those very lean cuts. If not, you're looking at really dry fully cooked burgers or eating them medium rare (which I would happily do).

Reactions: Runner77 and cphabs

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Potatoes should be fried in duck fat. That makes by far the best fries to be had.
Can't argue that.

But, IMO, it's even more important to twice (or even thrice, although that isn't the kinda effort many restaurants go for) cook your fries each time at the exactly right temperature. Fat alone doesn't make for great fries all by itself. No matter what it is.

Great fries is a dish that is susceptibly difficult to make, especially in a home setting.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Can't argue that.

But, IMO, it's even more important to twice (or even thrice, although that isn't the kinda effort many restaurants go for) cook your fries each time at the exactly right temperature. Fat alone doesn't make for great fries all by itself. No matter what it is.

Great fries is a dish that is susceptibly difficult to make, especially in a home setting.

The double fry is definitely the technique to use, generally with a lower temp initial fry, a mesh drain, then a high temp crisp after a rest. I like the thicker cut steak fries, but any size or shape is good.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The double fry is definitely the technique to use, generally with a lower temp initial fry, a mesh drain, then a high temp crisp after a rest. I like the thicker cut steak fries, but any size or shape is good.
Identical cut is what matters most when shaping French fries. They won't cook evenly otherwise.

As to the thickness... everyone's got their own preference, but my favourite is the exact opposite of yours. Matchstick fries is what makes me weak in my knees.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Rhodes was spectacular! Incredible culture... ancient and wicked lmao was during the Gulf War after 6 months of maritime interdiction in the Red Sea. People were incredibly kind to us. I’ll never forget that kindness. We were all fatigued, injured, and lumped up.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and was treated nicely in those difficult times.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Nobody does a panade when making burgers? makes thing even easier and moist!can add flavor as well with additives.

I'll use a panade for a meatloaf, which usually has several ingredients besides the meat. In a burger though, I want the meat to be the star, so outside of seasonings, I add very little, unless the meat is extremely lean. I've found a couple of Tbsp of oyster sauce adds some moisture and a little added zip. I cook the burgers to just past medium rare.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'll use a panade for a meatloaf, which usually has several ingredients besides the meat. In a burger though, I want the meat to be the star, so outside of seasonings, I add very little, unless the meat is extremely lean. I've found a couple of Tbsp of oyster sauce adds some moisture and a little added zip. I cook the burgers to just past medium rare.

I heard eons ago that if you took the fat out of pork and beef,the taste is indiscernible. However I can attest that having made vindaloo with pork and beef,tenderloin, very difficult to discern actually.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Anyone seen that beer that some canadian company has made and is marketing called huruhuru?

They have tried to go with a Maori theme and design, but someone didnt do their research - huruhuru translates as pubic hair! Been a lot of laughs over it here in New Zealand!

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Anyone seen that beer that some canadian company has made and is marketing called huruhuru?

They have tried to go with a Maori theme and design, but someone didnt do their research - huruhuru translates as pubic hair! Been a lot of laughs over it here in New Zealand!

Too funny! sad but funny. Next thing we learn is that they hired the musical artists Bush and Moist to perform the jingle.:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad