Speculation: The Flyers introduce......

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Hextall is rebuilding a team, that means he's choosing the players, and if so, don't you think he's choosing players to fit the scheme that he prefers.
If Voracek or Simmonds doesn't fit that scheme, it's easier to trade them than to retool the entire rebuild.

I hope Hextall is choosing players based on their talent level and not the player designed to play in a specific scheme. Talent will always shine through schemes but more often than not it'll elevate fringe NHL players rather than deflate them.

It is one thing to move a player and its another to be selecting a coaching in which their scheme doesn't work and trying to force it to work. The coach either needs to adapt or be let go.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Outside of a few elite players, most players are better suited to one scheme or another, "talent" is a collection of attributes, and there are always tradeoffs (or the player wouldn't be available, players without apparent flaws tend to go in the top 10).

Hextall seems to have a pattern in his drafting:
1) centers all have high IQs, two way players, good playmakers (Patrick, Frost, Rubtsov, Vorobyev)
2) wings vary, a mixture of big physical guys and fast scorers, but again, high IQ is a general theme
3) defensemen are mobile with offensive skills (Sanheim, Myers, Friedman)

Of course, once you get past the 3rd rd, picks will be more eccentric, since you're basically picking fliers.

They've also heavily stressed two way play in development, especially for defensemen
Hextall seems likes a system built around N/S passing from defensemen, D-men attacking the O-zone when the opportunity presents, emphasis on both forechecking and back checking from forwards, and forwards smart enough to execute the cycle and not get caught deep.
So if I were looking at coaches, I'd dismiss the Lavi's of this world, and maybe Peters as well, since he seems to be too conservative with his D-men.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I would love Sam Hallam.

38 years old, 10 years Pro Head Coaching experience.

About to win his 2nd SHL title as head coach with a team that had never really even competed before he came to them.

Players love him, great motivator, aggresive, fun, offensive system, has used young players extensively in big roles for his team.

Sounds about what we need.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
European coaches are clearly an untapped market. There’s simply no way there aren’t numerous coaches — ignoring any language barrier, which would be irrelevant here — overseas who aren’t better hockey minds than the retread parade of hockey guy coaches. It would be bold and unlikely though. I’d imagine they’d have to be willing to be an assistant or AHL coach first. There’s definitely a learning curve transitioning from big to small ice strategies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve liked the videos I’ve seen of Hallam.

I think Hextall, like Bobby Clarke, underrates the emotional motivation aspect of coaching. Probably because they didn’t need it. And you don’t want a constant screamer back there. That I completely agree with. But maybe one who makes you feel he’s fighting for you & doesn’t overdo it. And still is adept strategically.

Laviolette had that knack. Seems rare.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
European coaches are clearly an untapped market. There’s simply no way there aren’t numerous coaches — ignoring any language barrier, which would be irrelevant here — overseas who aren’t better hockey minds than the retread parade of hockey guy coaches. It would be bold and unlikely though. I’d imagine they’d have to be willing to be an assistant or AHL coach first. There’s definitely a learning curve transitioning from big to small ice strategies.

Marco Sturm has been getting talked up lately but it seems like even he’s gonna have to prove himself over here first with as an AHL HC or NHL AC job. The indications are that he wants to come back to NA start a coaching career even if it’s in one of those roles.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Marco Sturm has been getting talked up lately but it seems like even he’s gonna have to prove himself over here first with as an AHL HC or NHL AC job. The indications are that he wants to come back to NA start a coaching career even if it’s in one of those roles.

He just coached Germany to a silver medal which has been a huge surprise and he may be a good one at adapting to in-game situations.

Coaching an NHL team through a regular season going along with player development are different kind of beast. He will definitely have to prove himself first on a smaller stage in NA.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad