Speculation: The Flyers introduce......

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
No, I'm scared of coaches that sound similar to people already in our organization after Hack/Hex.

It's a curse and you can't convince me otherwise.

its why we stayed away from corey tropp, wendell clark, and brad richards.

i think you are on to something to be honest. Bernie Parent :thumbu: Ryan Parent :thumbd:. Kimmo timmonen:thumbu: Jussi Timmonen :thumbd:, Brayden Schenn :thumbu: Luke Schenn :thumbd:, Darryl Sittler :thumbu: Ryan Sittler :thumbd:, Chrisiano Rinaldo :thumbu: Zac Rinaldo:thumbd:, Ben simmons:thumbu: wayne simmonds:thumbd:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I'm not convinced he will be fired, which is really frightening

If he's not, get ready to wait for another rebuild cycle after Hextall is fired in 2-3 years

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
The reward of drafting well is skilled players incoming. You need an offensive minded coach willing to let skilled young players utilize their talent instead of being scared and neutering them, as well as playing them in key situations.

Reactions: pmwlker and Foggy14

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yess.
Enough to explain a .70 negative discrepancy? From a guy most fans want to fire?

That’s a pretty big discrepancy from what I don’t think is an equivalent discrepancy in rosters.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Enough to explain a .70 negative discrepancy? From a guy most fans want to fire?

That’s a pretty big discrepancy from what I don’t think is an equivalent discrepancy in rosters.

If you look at the underlying numbers on the team, which have always been fantastic beyond Corsi, and you look at the talent level -- which is young and bubble team at best -- then all signs point to him doing a terrific job in scheme.

They have the worst goaltending situation every season, even worse than our situation last year, and to even be in the playoff hunt for much of the year is about as well as can be expected. The discrepancy can mostly be explained by goalies: you cannot win with the worst and 6th worst (this year) goalies in the league with 40+ starts......or 4th worst last year. They also did poorly in special teams this year......they always do poorly in PP (which is part talent, part Brindy, who some dream about hiring), but they're usually fantastic PKing, so that was just an off year. But if you think the talent isn't clearly worse, I don't have much else to say.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If you look at the underlying numbers on the team, which have always been fantastic beyond Corsi, and you look at the talent level -- which is young and bubble team at best -- then all signs point to him doing a terrific job in scheme.

They have the worst goaltending situation every season, even worse than our situation last year, and to even be in the playoff hunt for much of the year is about as well as can be expected. The discrepancy can mostly be explained by goalies: you cannot win with the worst and 6th worst (this year) goalies in the league with 40+ starts......or 4th worst last year. They also did poorly in special teams this year......they always do poorly in PP (which is part talent, part Brindy, who some dream about hiring), but they're usually fantastic PKing, so that was just an off year. But if you think the talent isn't clearly worse, I don't have much else to say.
.70 worse? With one of Hak’s 3 seasons involving an injured ineffective Giroux, rookie #1 defenseman, near league worst goaltending, Ghost also recovering from surgery & stinking until February... You think the talent level equates to a .570 vs. .496?

Fact is, Peters’ NHL record is way worse. And I don’t think the teams’ talent discrepancies are .07 different.

Last edited:

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Hexy has a lot of due diligence and thinking to do.

My best thought (along with a number of other fans) was to hire Gerard Gallant when Florida (Tom Rowe) fired him in such a strange and no-class way 18 months ago.

While that opportunity is long gone, I'm sure we can find a guy with a similar skill set; pro coaching experience, smart, a good communicator and motivator. A couple other things that Gallant seems to possess, that I'd like to see in our next head coach, is confidence (not arrogance) in himself and the ability to instill a sense of confidence and responsibility in his players.

Hak (who I don't think is a bad person at all) has never seemed that comfortable in his own skin at the NHL level. Maybe he's a different guy in the locker room and at practice, but I doubt it. That "tightness" filters down to a team, and it's not good.

I've read some articles where young players have talked about how Gallant doesn't dwell on mistakes, but uses them to teach how to improve and gain confidence. With our pipeline, that's really important. I want a coach who can do that.

I didn't play at a high level, but I played enough to understand how important good coaching is, and the difference confidence can make with young players. If I'm Hexy, I wouldn't trust Hak with our pipeline.

Of some of the names mentioned, I'd pass on Ruff and Sutter. I wouldn't trust them with our young, upcoming group. I respect Sutter a lot, but the Kings were a very veteran group that actually had more "player only" meetings than the Flyers this season.

Peters would be good, but it sounds like we might be behind Calgary on getting him.

Dave Tippett is very interesting. He really did over-perform with a crap franchise. Makes me wonder what he could do with an organization that has all the resources a coach needs, some good veterans and a young, upcoming group of young players.

I guess the good news is that the Flyers should be able to attract, and pay, a top level coach who can take us to the next level.

Hexy, it's your move.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Dave Tippett is very interesting. He really did over-perform with a crap franchise. Makes me wonder what he could do with an organization that has all the resources a coach needs, some good veterans and a young, upcoming group of young players.

He’s just another Sutter: older coach set in his ways who loves defense first, boring hockey and is terrible at integrating youth and loves veteran crutches.

So, of course he’d be on Hextall’s shortlist. :laugh:

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
He’s just another Sutter: older coach set in his ways who loves defense first, boring hockey and is terrible at integrating youth and loves veteran crutches.

So, of course he’d be on Hextall’s shortlist. :laugh:

He isn't that old. :D

Yeah, he wouldn't be my top guy from a style perspective, but someone behind the Flyers' bench who actually knows how to coach an NHL team would be refreshing after what we've watched over the past five seasons.

It really is nuts that with all the resources we have, and the fact that there's no cap on what we can spend on coaches, Berube and Hakstol were the "best" we could come up with over the last half decade.

I wouldn't mind Gordon.

If the Phantoms show well in their playoffs, I've gotta think Scott will be on Hexy's short list if decides to make a change.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
By the way, Darryl Sutter is only 59. I know he looks a lot older and has been around forever.

Reactions: BillDineen

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The coach has to command the respect of the players, that's not negotiable. And it's pretty clear that half the team is tuning Hakstol out at this point, or he's getting hopelessly out-coached and has no answers and the players all see it.

So yeah, Sutter would be a vast improvement.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If the Phantoms show well in their playoffs, I've gotta think Scott will be on Hexy's short list if decides to make a change.

Gordon missed coaching Brett Hextall by 1 year on the Phantoms, so that certainly doesn't help his case, but given how Hextall operates, Gordon probably will be on the shortlist. I say that as an indictment.

We've seen guys with similar profiles -- head coaches who got fired for various reasons, toiled in the minors or as assistants for years after, looked dead in the water -- like Bruce Cassidy and Mike Sullivan come out like gangbusters as NHL head coaches again, but that's still not to be expected. You have to know a lot about their hockey minds and where they stand relative to the game today. I'd also add that Scott Gordon flamed out as an NHL head coach THIS decade, not in the mid-2000s, and he's actually several years older than both. Funnily enough, he actually replaced Sullivan as coach of the Providence Bruins when Sullivan was promoted to the big club.

We have a lot of avid Phantoms watchers here, and while it's been mildly better this year, I see little to provide me with confidence he can run and manage the complexities of an NHL system. The Phantoms play entertaining pond hockey. The idea of him squaring off with talented tacticians in the NHL -- planning, adjusting, adapting, coming out on top -- fills me with dread.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A Coach that concetrate on aggressive offensive all over the ice. pinching dman, forchecking winger. We played beautiful hockey under him. And he was able to win because of a good influence in Timeouts and between Periods!

I would kill for Laviolette. Did anyone knows, someone like him?

Sry for my bad english.

Reality check, if Hextall wanted a coach like that, he would have hired a coach like that.
The next coach will run a system similar to Hakstol, because Hextall wants it that way.

In this scheme, Ghost was 17th, Manning 32nd, Provorov 35th, MacDonald 53th and Gudas 62nd in PP/60 at 5x5 out of 162 defensemen (800+ minutes)
That's pretty amazing, given the limited talent.
When Sanheim and Myers grow up, this defense could set scoring records.

So I don't think this scheme suppresses scoring, if we had real depth we'd be one of the top scoring teams in the NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yess.

Wrong, he has as much or more talent than Hakstol has had, his veteran core, Staal, Derek Ryan and Justin Williams and a bunch of young players who are a couple years ahead of the Flyers young players (Aho is 20, Hanifin and Fleury are 21, the rest are 23-25 years old).

His problem has been he's an awful offensive coach, 27th, 27th, 21st, 23rd in goals scored during his tenure.
Which has kept him out of the playoffs because the goalies have been even worse than the Flyer goalies the last four years.

The grass is always greener, but there's a reason most experienced HCs are on the street.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Wrong, he has as much or more talent than Hakstol has had, his veteran core, Staal, Derek Ryan and Justin Williams and a bunch of young players who are a couple years ahead of the Flyers young players (Aho is 20, Hanifin and Fleury are 21, the rest are 23-25 years old).

His problem has been he's an awful offensive coach, 27th, 27th, 21st, 23rd in goals scored during his tenure.
Which has kept him out of the playoffs because the goalies have been even worse than the Flyer goalies the last four years.

The grass is always greener, but there's a reason most experienced HCs are on the street.

Please point out which players are equivalent to Giroux, Voracek, or Couturier. Pay careful attention to how their best forward scored 65 points, which ties Gostisbehere, and perhaps you will realize that you've dug yourself into a hole.

The notion that he has as much or MORE talent is just as ludicrous as trying to portray Ghost as a Carle. Hakstol proving he can't coach in the playoffs and completely embarrassing you must have you pretty shaken up.

Reactions: Magua

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I didn't just read someone say the Hurricanes have MORE talent than the Flyers, did I?

GTTK.gif

Usually I give you the benefit of the doubt, sir, that you're not trolling. But come the f*** on.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Uh, which Giroux, which Voracek, which Ghost. This year or the previous three years?

Peters has been there four years, this year he had 6 forwards with 40+ points, last year 7, etc.
Aho 49 ES points, Teravaninen 44 ES, Skinner 40, Williams 39, Staal 32, Ryan 31, Lindholm 34, McGinn 26, Rask 20
Giroux 66, Couts 62, Voracek 50, Konency 44, Simmonds 28, Filppula 27, Patrick 22, Raffl 21

Year before:
Skinner 48, Staal 36, Rask 34, Stempniak 34, Aho 30, Lindholm 29, Teravaninen 27, Ryan 20
Voracek 38, Couts 31, Simmons 27, Schenn 27, Giroux 26, Konecny 24
Two years before:
Skinner 44, Staal 36, Rask 30, Staal 26, Nordstrom 26, Versteeg 24, Lindholm 23, Nestrasil 21
Simmonds 39, Giroux 38, Schenn 37, Voracek 32, Couts 31, Raffl 29, Laughton 21

Hanifin had 32 points for Peters, I'd bet he'd have a lot more playing for Hakstol. He's got the talent, he's been misused.
Hakstol got more offense out of MacDonald, Manning and Gudas than Peters out of top young mobile defensemen
Carolina had one of the worst PP units in the league.

Just see nothing in Peters' performance that give me confidence, and he looks even more boring than Hakstol, who at least encourages his defensemen to attack the O-zone.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Reality check, if Hextall wanted a coach like that, he would have hired a coach like that.
The next coach will run a system similar to Hakstol, because Hextall wants it that way.

Then they both need to go. You employ systems that work for the players, not a system that you want the players to play in. Its not a feasible approach to use a system that doesn't work and try and sell, move, and buy players that would fit your desired scheme. Its far easier and significantly more cost effective to deploy the appropriate schemes.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall is rebuilding a team, that means he's choosing the players, and if so, don't you think he's choosing players to fit the scheme that he prefers.
If Voracek or Simmonds doesn't fit that scheme, it's easier to trade them than to retool the entire rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad