Speculation: The Flyers introduce......

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
and the Flyers introduce their new head coach ... Dan Bylsma !!!

"The Flyers have decided after firing Dave Hakstol 5 days ago, we missed him dearly and fully believe there is no other coach out there with more intensity. So we are excited to announce our new/old head coach, DAVE HAKSTOL!"

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
450586904.jpg

Reactions: Rebels57

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Will it make any difference what coach we have with the talent we have on this roster that Hex has put together?? Would have any other coach beaten Pittsburgh with the team we have? Perhaps more spirited and feisty but the end result would have certainly been the same. Look at what the team looks like without Sean on Friday night. An elite AHL team......oh.......this is the NHL? Get the point.....we need more talented players. Again, the bottom six is a mess and the main guys are not producing, perhaps beaten down. The bottom 3 D-men are all 6/7 and ugly to watch. And the goalies, are beyond nasty and distasteful. Every gone to an 5 star restaurant and brought mediocre food and rancid wine? That is how I feel when I go to a Flyers game this season. The only good thing about watching them on cable is I can turn it off and do something else. But that too is a disappointment because my expectations are so high, and they are so hideous. I feel cheated. But as a Flyers fan for 45 years, I will pick up the pieces, endure, then cannot wait for early September when the rookies arrive while the speculations and expectations start all over again.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Which team is doing the best developing NHL coaches in the AHL? Just pilfer their AHL head coach.
Idk man. We went with the "No NHL experience fresh take works well with kids" route with Hakstok and that didn't turn out so well. People get mad all the time that it is "an old boys club" and no one new gets a chance, but there's a reason for that. For every Jon Cooper there are ten Dave Hakstoks.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It’s more than likely going to be Knoblauch.
He was brought here for a reason. He’s an offensive minded coach as well. He more than likely will be the next coach.

Fire the assistants and let him hire his own. PP and PK absolutely need to be better.

I'd be alright with Knoblauch if we added some veteran coaching experience to the staff. No Lappy, nothing like that-see if you can get Vignault or someone on his wing. And before anyone freaks out over that, Jacques Martin is an assistant to Sullivan in Pittsburgh.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The next coach......

Ok.

So its Saturday after game 5.

We have lost a series to the Penguins badly. Lack of compete, lack of competency.
The players are cleaning out their lockers and doing exit interviews.

Hextall finally fires Hakstol....

Who is our next coach?

AV, Peters, Ruff, etc are all out there.

Who would best fit our team. Implement a system that takes care of our back end and utilizes our forward core. All while infusing youth....

Too much to ask...
Is there an actual coach out there?

• Ruff is a no go.
  • Peters is still employed.
  • Vigneault, while an upgrade, has a lot of the same issues as Hakstol.

I have no idea is the short answer.

Reactions: dingbathero

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
We need a motivator. There’s enough talent and IQ for the players to play the game. The flyers have issues with 1st periods and finishing. I’m ready for the chip kelly era of hockey to end. Hak accepted lazy play from his vets.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Idk man. We went with the "No NHL experience fresh take works well with kids" route with Hakstok and that didn't turn out so well. People get mad all the time that it is "an old boys club" and no one new gets a chance, but there's a reason for that. For every Jon Cooper there are ten Dave Hakstoks.

Yeah, I sort of agree that experienced coach would be a better option right now. But I feel that there are no coaches with NHL experience that I would want for this team right now. So, the next best thing would be going for an experienced AHL coach or some promising NHL assistant. Just no juniors or college coaches. Forget the whole "good at developing young players" thing and get a coach who coaches to win but has some sense in his head.

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
I would wait or the playoffs to finish before finding a coach. It's more than just the coaching staff that needs changed though.

Reactions: dingbathero

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I am sure with a more adaptive coach in place with the roster as it is now we would have done better.

We aren't near as bad as tbis series would indicate. Super Dr jykell and hyde tho. I know that comes from a few of the younger players finding their game.

It's on Hak to have them prepped and in the best sceniro to do well

He has not done that.

Lappy and what he calls a PK needs a clean slate. That's painful shit. The personal we have can do well on a PK just not ours.

I too would wait until the playoffs are over..... unless other teams are taking runs at potential coaches.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
whomever we hire needs to implement these 3 things.

1. An Aggressive offensive minded approach to hockey, weather that be speed through the neutral zone, or heavy fore-checking I don't care
2. Emotional Intelligence greater than that of an Onion. Hak failed at this
3. Someone that has had exposure to NHL locker rooms, and NHL personel.

This isn't college and the jump from college to pros in all sports does not go over very well historically. You can't talk to a teenager the way you do a grown man. Then there is the respect factor. I guarantee you that Berube may not have possessed the hockey acumen of Hak, but he sure as hell had the respect and attention of everyone in that damn locker room. How many enforcers have played 1000 games in the NHL. There was a reason why he lasted so long.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
whomever we hire needs to implement these 3 things.

1. An Aggressive offensive minded approach to hockey, weather that be speed through the neutral zone, or heavy fore-checking I don't care
2. Emotional Intelligence greater than that of an Onion. Hak failed at this
3. Someone that has had exposure to NHL locker rooms, and NHL personel.

This isn't college and the jump from college to pros in all sports does not go over very well historically. You can't talk to a teenager the way you do a grown man. Then there is the respect factor. I guarantee you that Berube may not have possessed the hockey acumen of Hak, but he sure as hell had the respect and attention of everyone in that damn locker room. How many enforcers have played 1000 games in the NHL. There was a reason why he lasted so long.
I've got you 2/3 :)

w640xh480_REUA_370044.jpg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Bill Barber was an NHL Hall of Famer & Flyers icon whose number 7 hangs above the arena in which he coached.

He still stunk as a coach & his team turned on him.

If you’re a good coach, the players will respect you.

Keenan was a 30-something with no NHL experience.

Bednar in Colorado went from a young junior hockey coach whom NHLers didn’t “respect” to an NHL Coach of the Year candidate in a season.

Jon Cooper was a young attorney with no NHL experience who proved himself as a coach in the NAHL & USHL.

I want the next Keenan or Bednar or Cooper, not the next Lindy Ruff.

And if Hak gets fired, it’ll almost definitely be Knoblach, anyway, & I’m fine with it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If the Phantoms win the Calder Cup or at least go on a nice run, don't rule out Scott Gordon. I wish I was kidding, but i'm not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad