The Flames have 5 point-per-game players

Status
Not open for further replies.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
He's shooting six percent above his career sh%. I think that's quite high and should see some regression. I'm usually a little more doubtful when I see giant variations in scoring from season to season. Just my opinion of course. I could very well be wrong.

Are you talking about Lindholm? Players have career years all the time, especially young players on the upswing whose offensive output was hampered by a cap floor team that finished chances at a league worst rate over his entire career there. I would bet on him shooting at a better rate in Calgary than he did in Carolina.

But even as his shooting percentage has come down since the beginning of the season, he's contributed through his strength, speed, playmaking, and possession and put up points everywhere he's been slotted.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Big night from the top line, all but solidifies the top line being point-per-game players. Now just need a big night from the captain and Tkachuk.

Gaudreau - 90 points in 70 games
Lindholm - 76 points in 70 games
Monahan - 76 points in 70 games
Tkachuk - 68 points in 70 games
Giordano - 65 points in 68 games

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Big night from the top line, all but solidifies the top line being point-per-game players. Now just need a big night from the captain and Tkachuk.

Gaudreau - 90 points in 70 games
Lindholm - 76 points in 70 games
Monahan - 76 points in 70 games
Tkachuk - 68 points in 70 games
Giordano - 65 points in 68 games

Lordy that's a top heavy team.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa

I think they'll be fine. Flames are on pace to have the following guys with either 10 goals or 30 points on the season:

Gaudreau - goals and points
Monahan - goals and points
Lindholm - goals and points
Tkachuk - goals and points
Giordano - goals and points
Backlund - goals and points
Brodie - goals and points
Hanifin - points
Ryan - goals and points
Frolik - goals and points
Bennett - goals and points
Jankowski - goals and points

That's not including Hathaway, Hamonic, Czarnik, and even Neal, all of whom are in striking distance of 10 goals.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

They actually don't. 4 forwards at or near a PPG. That's already one more than plays on a top line. Then they have, to fill out their top 6:

Backlund: 43 points in 66 games
Frolik: 27 points in 53 games

In their bottom 6 they have:

Ryan: 28 in 69
Bennett: 26 in 68
Jankowski: 25 in 67

That's excellent depth. The Flames are probably right behind Tampa in terms of scoring depth.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
They actually don't. 4 forwards at or near a PPG. That's already one more than plays on a top line. Then they have, to fill out their top 6:

That's excellent depth. The Flames are probably right behind Tampa in terms of scoring depth.
San Jose has us beat too they have a tonne of players over 30-40 points.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After 3 months this thread has aged extremely well.
Congratulations to Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, and Giordano!
What you've accomplished so far this season is quite impressive.

Just curious... Does anyone know when the last time a team had 5 players Or even 4 players that finished with a 1.0 or higher ppg average?

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Just curious... Does anyone know when the last time a team had 5 players Or even 4 players that finished with a 1.0 or higher ppg average?

1994-1995:
Fleury - 58 points in 47 games
Nieuwendyk - 50 points in 46 games
Housley - 43 points in 43 games
Ward - 2 points in 2 games

But probably what you're really asking is the year before:
1993-1994:
Reichel 93 points
Fleury 85 points
Roberts 84 points
MacInnis 82 points
Niewendyk 75 points (in 64 games)
(Haas 2 points in 2 games...)

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
1994-1995:
Fleury - 58 points in 47 games
Nieuwendyk - 50 points in 46 games
Housley - 43 points in 43 games
Ward - 2 points in 2 games

But probably what you're really asking is the year before:
1993-1994:
Reichel 93 points
Fleury 85 points
Roberts 84 points
MacInnis 82 points
Niewendyk 75 points (in 64 games)
(Haas 2 points in 2 games...)
Thanks. Ya.. I don't think you can count a 48 game season. Much more difficult feat over 82 games.
So it's been 25 years since 5 players on the same team scored at a 1.0 or higher ppg average.
Amazing.

Reactions: Sk8M8

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Yeah, “right behind” doesn’t generally mean there are at least 10 teams between them lol

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wont last for long. Still early in the season and the only one I see going 80+ points is Johnny.

Our depth is what should be talked about:

Send Dube down (wasn’t bad), Mangiapane called up and playing fine, Czarnik scratched for a lot of games (for depth and not because he sucks). No Frolik either.

On defense, Valimaki just recently injured, Kylington playing fantastic. No Stone, he’s out with an injury too.

Goaltending, Smith sucks *** at first, Rittich picks up the slack. Now, Smith fought for his job back.

Happy for those top 5 players, but it’s our depth that amazes me.
Someone might be eating a little crow in 3 weeks.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Thanks. Ya.. I don't think you can count a 48 game season. Much more difficult feat over 82 games.
So it's been 25 years since 5 players on the same team scored at a 1.0 or higher ppg average.
Amazing.
Oh sorry, this was the Flames I was talking about only. Last time the Flames did it. I'd imagine some of the Detroit teams stacked with HHOF players did it after. (Edit; Detroit hasn't since 1995

Last edited:

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, “right behind” doesn’t generally mean there are at least 10 teams between them lol
You're suggesting that the third place team offensively is a middle of the pack team in offensive depth? Lol, sounds like someone is concerned with reality.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Really? What 10 teams have all 6 top 6 forwards with .5 PPG or more? What 10 teams also have 3 bottom 6 players on pace for 30+ points?

You're selling him short. He said at least 10 teams between Tampa and Calgary. So those 10 teams don't even include Tampa, and has to be at least 10...

Reactions: blankall and Dack

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Just goes to show that people often underrate the impact of team's play style when comparing individual points.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You're suggesting that the third place team offensively is a middle of the pack team in offensive depth? Lol, sounds like someone is concerned with reality.

Nope, they're up there with Tampa in goals because of their top guys. Depth is not very good.

Really? What 10 teams have all 6 top 6 forwards with .5 PPG or more? What 10 teams also have 3 bottom 6 players on pace for 30+ points?

Anaheim has 6 forwards at 0.5PPG or more. It's a thoroughly unimpressive feat in this extremely high scoring season. Here's a full list of the 16 teams who have at least 6 forwards scoring at least 0.5PPG:

Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Calgary, Columbus, Colorado, Detroit, Florida, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vegas, Winnipeg, Washington

The Flames don't even have 3 bottom-6 players on pace for 30+ points. Jankowski is on pace for 29.

The initial post which suggested they were top-heavy was based on the top-5 scorers. So, let's look:

Team (Beside top-5)GoalsPoints
SJ126428
WPG120377
TB121375
CBJ117355
WSH114351
NSH130348
TOR114341
VGK123341
MTL110328
CGY112313
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I included full season points from guys that were acquired during the season and excluded all points from players that were traded. I counted points from players who are still with the organization but in the minors, but those are mostly negligible.

So, they rank 10th in points from players outside of their top-5 point scorers. Every other team has fewer points from their non top-5 guys. A few teams might have more goals but I didn't check. Either way, 10th certainly isn't as bad as I expected. I said there were at least 10 teams between them and Tampa and by just the actual numbers, there are 6 teams between them and TB, and only 9 teams between them and 1st. So, perhaps that was exaggerated. But IMO, there are a few other teams with slightly fewer points among their non top-5 players who have more offensive depth than Calgary. (Pittsburgh and Boston come to mind.)

So, maybe their scoring depth is not bad, but it is certainly not high end.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
The Flames don't even have 3 bottom-6 players on pace for 30+ points. Jankowski is on pace for 29.
What?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Backlund and Frolik are the top 6 for simplicity.

Jankowski, Ryan, Bennett are all on pace for 30 points (pro-rated, as that's all that matters). So uh?

Simply by players that have played 20+ games with their team and have a 0.37 PPG there are two teams with more forwards than the Flames (9), this wouldn't account for deadline deals:

Toronto+Tampa with 30 each.

So, that argument is stupid.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Backlund and Frolik are the top 6 for simplicity.

Jankowski, Ryan, Bennett are all on pace for 30 points (pro-rated, as that's all that matters). So uh?

Jankowski’s pace over 79 games (the maximum he can play) is 29 points. Had they said “0.366 PPG, which translates to 30 points per 82 games”, then I would check.

Being on pace for a certain number and scoring at a certain rate is a lot different because teams have a lot more guys scoring 0.366 PPG or higher than they do guys on pace to finish this season with at least 30 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad