The Flames have 5 point-per-game players

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I don't know if they're going to win the Stanley Cup but Calgary fans have been treated to an entertaining team all year. Same thing with Lightning fans and Sharks fans. I wish the Bruins were as entertaining to watch.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't know if they're going to win the Stanley Cup but Calgary fans have been treated to an entertaining team all year. Same thing with Lightning fans and Sharks fans. I wish the Bruins were as entertaining to watch.
Well they're at least entertaining to listen to on TV. :dunno:

Honestly, though, the game is always entertaining with Marchand on the ice.

Aug 3, 2010
Well they're at least entertaining to listen to on TV. :dunno:

Honestly, though, the game is always entertaining with Marchand on the ice.
Came here to say this. Some teams don't even have an entertaining player let alone a strong scoring line like Pastrnak and Marchand.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Been some scoring changes. Gaudreau is no longer a point-per-game player. The scrub only has 361 points in 362 games.

But Giordano now has 52 points, putting him first for defensive scoring with Burns. That also means that Giordano would be the leading scorer on 21 other teams. Again, he's fifth on the Flames.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
So as a non-Flames watcher, what changed from the previous years? Peters just that good of a coach?

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
And Glen Gulutzan being that bad, that guy will never be on the coaching staff for an NHL calibre team again. Certainly Lindholm has been a revelation on that top line. Tkachuk started the year as a 20 year old, so of course he was expected to improve. And probably a lot of everything just going well, changes the energy.

And while goaltending is still suspect, as is the case with any team relying on 'first-time starter', the most unsustainable thing about the Flames is probably just how badly productive James Neal has been. A consistent 50 point threat for years, on pace for 20 points.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
And Glen Gulutzan being that bad, that guy will never be on the coaching staff for an NHL calibre team again. Certainly Lindholm has been a revelation on that top line. Tkachuk started the year as a 20 year old, so of course he was expected to improve. And probably a lot of everything just going well, changes the energy.

I also think talent produces more talent- guys who could be 1st line playing on the 2nd produce more, guys who could be 2nd playing 3rd produce more, good linemates feed off each other, etc. it’s tough to make happen which is why it’s so rare- lightning are an example, as are bruins at times.

My Sabres are the antithesis of this- middlestadt might look better on the 3rd line or with better linemates, but as is our 2-4 lines are a dumpster fire most nights

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So as a non-Flames watcher, what changed from the previous years? Peters just that good of a coach?
Peters always had amazing advanced stats with Hurricanes, they just couldn't produce. Which seems to be the story of that team's existence, really.

As it turns out, Lindholm is actually a very effective player when he gets to play with more players that actually have some serious skill.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
And while it's certainly overshadowed by far more important things like the drastic change in PP structure and results, reuniting Brodie with Giordano, etc, winning faceoffs is a pretty important piece of the puzzle for a team that wants possession. And new comers Ryan and Lindholm are some of the best face-off guys in the league.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Gaudreau - 120
Monahan - 100
Tkachuk - 93
Lindholm - 93
Giordano - 87

That's what they're looking at over 82 games. I'm not going through every team, but have to go back to the late 80's/early 90's to find anything like that with the Flames.

Reactions: DirtDiver and Sk8M8

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Gaudreau - 120
Monahan - 100
Tkachuk - 93
Lindholm - 93
Giordano - 87

That's what they're looking at over 82 games. I'm not going through every team, but have to go back to the late 80's/early 90's to find anything like that with the Flames.
Robert Reichel 84gp 40g + 53a = 93pts
Theoren Fleury 83gp 40g + 45a = 85pts
Gary Roberts 73gp 41g + 43a = 84pts
Al MacInnis 75gp 28g + 54a = 82pts
Joe Nieuwendyk 64gp 36g + 39a = 75pts

1993-94

They were also the team to beat in the original DOS version of NHL Hockey.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This is the funnest I've had watching my Flames since the 80s. The early nineties started to be frustrating as player after player left and playoff disappointments mounted.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Peters is a fantastic coach, has the read on every game and knows what tweaks to make.
Ward is an excellent PP coach we poached from NJD. We finally have a 1D 4F PP1 featuring Giordano. Before it was either 1D 4F with Brodie (who isn't a PP natural) or a 2D 3F with Gio/Hamilton (and that setup was inherently flawed and favoured Hamilton volume shooting over skilled hockey)
Brodie is the right ES partner for Giordano, not Hamilton which Gulutzan kept forcing. Brodie has always completed Gio and together they are a beautiful pair to watch.
Lindholm's two way game offsets a lot of Monahan's weaknesses.
Backlund has bounced back from a pretty unlucky season in terms of bounces. Last year was a classic case of PDO misery for him.
Jankowski, Hathaway, Lindholm, and Ryan have really shored up the penalty kill compared to the likes of Troy Brouwer and Matt Stajan. Again this is on Gulutzan who kept going to that miserable combination.
Peters' willingness to play youth earned minutes in big roles - whether that's Hanifin in tough minutes or Andersson on a 6v5 or Kylington 13+ minutes in tight games or Valimaki on PK2 or Bennett on PP2 or Jankowski on PK1 have been confidence instilling. The best part is that while Peters has played Mangiapane and Dube some minutes at 3LW and such, our best option might actually be Alan Quine who is in the minors simply to get the kids some ice time. Yet if it comes down to it in April/May/June, Quine might give a further jolt to our depth as he was nothing short of fantastic in his callup.
Again Peters pushes buttons - he has healthy scratched veteran guys like Stone, Prout, Ryan, Hathaway, and Frolik in favour of kids like Andersson, Dube, Mangiapane, etc and the effect on team chemistry has been profound. No veteran is complacent like they were under Gulutzan. Guys know if they bring half the effort they will play half the games.
Finally the changes to goalie equipment have been noticeable. Guys have actual net to shoot at this year. Good riddance to the Michelin man era.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Tkachuk got a year older, Monahan is finally healthy, Lindholm has fit like a glove for the top line, the PP is way better than last year, Gio is healthy and playing with a good defensive partner. Monahan was on a similar pace for the first 35 games last year as well then get injuries galore in the regular season.

Peters is a much better coach in every aspect for the 2 guys we previously had, but a healthy Monahan and an elite winger (Lindholm) over an inconsistent 2nd/3rd liner (Ferland) has made a huge difference for Johnny who himself has been more consistent and even more dynamic this year.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Tkachuk got a year older, Monahan is finally healthy, Lindholm has fit like a glove for the top line, the PP is way better than last year, Gio is healthy and playing with a good defensive partner. Monahan was on a similar pace for the first 35 games last year as well then get injuries galore in the regular season.

Peters is a much better coach in every aspect for the 2 guys we previously had, but a healthy Monahan and an elite winger (Lindholm) over an inconsistent 2nd/3rd liner (Ferland) has made a huge difference for Johnny who himself has been more consistent and even more dynamic this year.

Healthy Monahan has been huge. For some reason he's one of those guys who's play seems to significantly deteriorate when playing hurt. And it's tremendously difficult to win in this league when your top line center is essentially worthless. But he played some tremendous hockey between games 20-45. That said, he's been playing pretty poorly lately, despite his current scoring streak. Hopefully he's not dealing with another injury, because that's kinda what it looks like.

Lindholm has been excellent which is no surprise - I predicted that he'd he a 70+ point player if he was played with Gaudreau, which probably would be realistic if save percentages hadn't plummeted this year. He's been the Flames 2nd best forward all season.

This is a fun thread to read through (from 2016): Is Elias Lindholm a draft disappointment?

A lot of people laughed at me for saying Lindholm was better than Monahan, including you!

Once again Whiskey strikes with the dumbest thing I'll read this week.

Do you still believe this to be true?
Because Monahan is better than Lindholm at literally everything that has to do with hockey.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Flames have flirted with being a great team the last few years. This year - new coach, a year older/better Tkachuk, Rittich stabilizing the goaltending, and a great trade - bam they are legit contenders.

With their scoring, grit and D depth they will be difficult to beat in a 7 game series.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Healthy Monahan has been huge. For some reason he's one of those guys who's play seems to significantly deteriorate when playing hurt. And it's tremendously difficult to win in this league when your top line center is essentially worthless. But he played some tremendous hockey between games 20-45. That said, he's been playing pretty poorly lately, despite his current scoring streak. Hopefully he's not dealing with another injury, because that's kinda what it looks like.

Lindholm has been excellent which is no surprise - I predicted that he'd he a 70+ point player if he was played with Gaudreau, which probably would be realistic if save percentages hadn't plummeted this year. He's been the Flames 2nd best forward all season.

This is a fun thread to read through (from 2016): Is Elias Lindholm a draft disappointment?

A lot of people laughed at me for saying Lindholm was better than Monahan, including you!

Do you still believe this to be true?

Monahan is still a better player than Lindholm and has been for his entire career. But please, continue with your Monahan hate.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly Monahan has shown this year that he’s really rounded out his game. He will never win a Selke, but he’s become a top end 1C. He’s always been an elite goal scorer, this we know. But this year he’s shown an improvement in his playmaking ability but most importantly in his defensive play. In last nights game, when one of our dmen would pinch, Monahan was the first guy back covering for his dman when the play went the other way and he broke a couple of plays. The game before I saw him strip the puck off of 2 Wings players near center ice, one of them being the speedy Larkin to create a turnover.

This might sound like basic stuff, but Monahan was never consistently making these types of plays early in his career. He was just a body in his own end waiting until his team retrieved the puck to get back on offence. He’s improved so much and it’s been very pleasant to see.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
[Mod]

Monahan is still a better player than Lindholm and has been for his entire career. But please, continue with your Monahan hate.

Monahan hate? I was just saying how excellent he's been for most of the season, and how him being healthy has been a significant reason for the team's success.

As I said above, I see Lindholm as the better overall player, but it's debatable for sure. And having that opinion is far from "dumbest thing I've read in a week" category.

That sort of distinction better fits a comment like "Monahan is better than Lindholm at literally everything"

Perhaps you should just concede that maybe I was on to something back then? You seem to think all of my opinions are formed on the basis of hating Monahan, but maybe I just see things the way I see them?

Last edited by a moderator:

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Flames have flirted with being a great team the last few years. This year - new coach, a year older/better Tkachuk, Rittich stabilizing the goaltending, and a great trade - bam they are legit contenders.

With their scoring, grit and D depth they will be difficult to beat in a 7 game series.

They will be beat in 7 games come playoffs.

I am not even sweating them come playoff time.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
They will be beat in 7 games come playoffs.

I am not even sweating them come playoff time.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad