The Fix: Referees, Penalties, and Bias

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I had a private message conversation with a couple of NHL refs who are regular posters on the Leafs board, and they said this whole idea is patently ridiculous.

Tell them they suck at their jobs and should focus on getting better at it rather than posting on HF. If you're not kidding and this is true, then I am even more concerned about their competency. They just went from clowns to full blown ass clowns.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
The Barzal stuff has gone way beyond him being chippy. There's a clear agenda.
And if the refs reckon it's because he has a bit to say, well they should f***ing grow a set and try being professional. He's got every right to say something with the way he's treated. I'd be far less diplomatic than him if I was watching my kid get cheap shotted time and again and officials were turning a blind eye to it.
I've watched a lot of sports and I've never seen a player disrespected over an extended period like Barzal.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Maybe Barzy's family and Isles owners should compile video clips of his on being slapped, cross checked, high sticked, grabbed, etc. and send the tape to NHL ref headquarters & politely ask them what is going on. Show evidence & see what the response is, ask them if they are ever to going to give him the protection he deserves by dishing out appropriate penalties or do they wait until he get hurt badly before they will react. I do somehow sense he is one of the young players being singled out, along with McDavid.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I've been on the sideline for a while as I'm not into the conspiracy theories, at least in sports. But this is getting ridiculous, Barzal has a target on his back and the refs could give a f***.

Reactions: scottywiper

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And if the refs reckon it's because he has a bit to say, well they should ****ing grow a set and try being professional. He's got every right to say something with the way he's treated. I'd be far less diplomatic than him if I was watching my kid get cheap shotted time and again and officials were turning a blind eye to it.
I've watched a lot of sports and I've never seen a player disrespected over an extended period like Barzal.
Barzal must be some kind of a major douche if the refs are letting him get his ass kicked every game.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
And if the refs reckon it's because he has a bit to say, well they should ****ing grow a set and try being professional. He's got every right to say something with the way he's treated. I'd be far less diplomatic than him if I was watching my kid get cheap shotted time and again and officials were turning a blind eye to it.
Funny. I teach my kid to respect the refs and not say anything to them. Fist bump after the game and say “thanks ref.” Nothing more. And parents yelling at the refs are the worst.

Anyway Barzal whines way too much. It’s embarrassing.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
maybe if he shut his mouth and didn’t whine like a little ***** after every call he’d get some in his favor

After what calls? I think he's pissed about the non-calls. This is the NHL and with all due respect to you and your son for loving the game of hockey, Barzal is taking real abuse from physical specimens, it isn't some pee wee roughhousing.

I agree he has to limit his interactions with the refs, but the "shut up and take it" philosophy your employing is easy to say when your not being ran into the boards and speared night in & night out.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
After what calls? I think he's pissed about the non-calls. This is the NHL and with all due respect to you and your son for loving the game of hockey, Barzal is taking real abuse from physical specimens, it isn't some pee wee roughhousing.

I agree he has to limit his interactions with the refs, but the "shut up and take it" philosophy your employing is easy to say when your not being ran into the boards and speared night in & night out.

You’re

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
However people want to spin it the team over the course of 43 games are last in the league in PPO -

117 vs. 95 that is 22 more PPO going the other way and only 13 PPO in the last 9 games. 28 games out of 43 the opponent has had more chances

the team is a hard hitting team, but probably one of the cleanest hitting teams in the league- the data supports a bias
Somebody has to be last. Is it always bias?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not living on the island (it's 'on', not 'in', right?), I usually get the other teams' feed, and commentators, so I get a somewhat different perspective.

For example, in tonight's game, the Canes' announcers were saying that the tripping call on Barzal was wrong. The comment, as close as I can recall, was "His stick was in the neighborhood, but he was going down anyway. Phantom call." Pretty clear penalty in my mind, but they didn't think so, or at least weren't telling their audience that.

I hear it all the time. According to other teams' announcers, the refs call everything on their team, while they let us get away with murder.

It's largely a matter of perspective: between listening to other commentators as well as ours, reading posts from other fans as well as ours, and having done some officiating and a fair bit of coaching, I maybe see the different viewpoints a bit more clearly.

Personally, I would rather see more penalties, particularly stick infractions, called, but since we have one of the weaker powerplays, I don't mind letting a few go each way. And I have to admit that I often question a call, only to watch a replay and be impressed with how they managed to get it right.

I don't always agree with calls, or non-calls, but I don't think the refs are that bad, and certainly not deliberately so.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Is it the refs' fault why we're 22nd in scoring? 23rd on the PP? 29th in shots per game? Why we've scored 19 goals over the past 12 games? Why we have virtually no offensive talent.

We have one 1st line player (and an average one at that-I know it's not popular to say around here, but it's 100$ true), a few 2nd liners, and a plethora of scrubs making up our bottom six.

Trotz has done such an excellent job, but if we're constantly relying on him to make chicken crap out of chicken salad, we're going to be disappointed.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad