Friedman: The fit is not there between the Sharks and Marleau

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I doubt the fit is there with anyone, honestly. He looks done.
Don't tell Patty that. He won't have it. He believes he still has it. It's why he hasn't retired, yet.

There's no real mention of SJ even being interested in him tbh, even for league minimum. So that can mean two things.

A. They don't want to bring him back, even for nostalgic reasons.

B. They feel he's not worth 700k, or the Marleau camp believes their worth is much more.

End of day, they signed Kevin freakin' Labanc for $1M dollars. What the f***, Doug Wilson? What is your secret?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Thanks for making us waste a first Marleau! You ditched the Sharks and they are returning the favor. Then you ditched the Leafs to go back and made them pay out the ass to do it.

Want to wish that he doesn't find a home and is forced to retire but I am not that big of a *****e.. I think. We'll see what he decides to do now.
boohoo, we needed cap space and getting that cap space is the price to get that nowadays.

Get over it already.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
It came out in a similar vein of absolute certainty, albeit without a quote, but it came from Steve Simmons, and nothing of the sort had been purported by somebody with Friedman’s level of credibility.

Marleau isn’t the one who doesn’t want to play for SJ for league minimum. SJ is the side that doesn’t want him.
SJ probably figure that they already have their allotment of old guys.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
SJ probably figure that they already have their allotment of old guys.

They have two players above the age of 30 currently under contract, and both of them are top pairing defensemen. When they add Thornton, he’ll be the 3rd, and he’s still a 3rd line center. Marleau is unlike these guys in that he’s a replacement level player.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Uh, he did us a massive favour by waiving his NMC to be traded to a bottom feeder team to be bought out, Man. We super needed that to happen and he helped us out.

I don't think you should be mad at Marleau for anything.
Dude you're gonna get eaten alive for calling the Caniacs a bottom-feeder. Edit that quicktime.

Reactions: Stubu

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I wonder where he ends up?

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to EDM. One last kick at the can and will get top 6 play. He is done IMO unless he seriously does the whole load management thing. He will likely want 2 million though. If I an EDM I roll the dice and not sign him. Last thing you need is another middle 1st round pick. Be as bad as you may be and get another lottery pick, bring Bouchard and Broberg up next year, hopefully some of the wingers in the system are ready to play.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
What? No they didn't lol. Marleau asked for a trade to be with his family who moved back to SJ. He would only accept a deal to SJ. LA was in talks but he refused to waive his trade protection for them.
He is not stupid and could read the writing on the wall so he did them a favour by asking for a trade and then agreeing to waive to the Canes. The Leafs would have been screwed if they didn't get rid of Marleau.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Why do people assume SJ wants him at any number?

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. A minimum deal to play on the sharks seems like a no brainer once you've made that much money and you can go to a top tier team that you are familiar with. That's why it seems more likely that the sharks just don't really want him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to EDM. One last kick at the can and will get top 6 play. He is done IMO unless he seriously does the whole load management thing. He will likely want 2 million though. If I an EDM I roll the dice and not sign him. Last thing you need is another middle 1st round pick. Be as bad as you may be and get another lottery pick, bring Bouchard and Broberg up next year, hopefully some of the wingers in the system are ready to play.

I got to tell you, Edmonton fans are sick of lottery picks. We want the team to make the playoffs. That might be a bit of a stretch this year (I see them as a bubble team) but it had better happen this year or next. Fans have zero patience for another failed season.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sharks are still looking to add a top 6er with very limited cap space so any unnecessary cap, even if it's league minimum, could potentially stand in the way. The fit isn't there in the top 9, and i don't know if the Sharks and Marleau want to see him stapled on the 4th line or even get buried in the minors. Would just be a bad look to bring a well respected veteran guy like that in and then not have a proper role for him.

Besides, Sharks have enough veterans. Marleau doesn't bring any off-ice help.

It feels like signing him would just be forcing it for the sake of past history.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Carolina made the conference finals.

So what?

So did Edmonton one year........returned to form at the bottom.
And Ottawa........returned to form at the bottom.
And Vegas..........on their way back down as we speak.

Teams can get lucky some years.

Carolina is a bottom feeder. They just don't realize it yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad