Friedman: The fit is not there between the Sharks and Marleau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
So would the sharks take him for min wage for one year, or do they not even want him? Is Marleau really trying to get more than a minimum type deal, or is "fit" more of a role type thing, like he's not going to be given a top 6 spot and PP time and that's what he's looking for? I don't see why he wouldn't want to return there for a cheap one year deal to play whatever role they needed him to. I doubt he'll find a better situation than that...

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Surprised he doesn't want to play for SJ for league-min. They're not stupid to overpay him and they're also not any ordinary contender either. It's a team he basically played his entire career on.

Maybe he feels as a 40 year old (week and a half) he's worth about $4M per year.

Reactions: Fixxer

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Thanks for making us waste a first Marleau! You ditched the Sharks and they are returning the favor. Then you ditched the Leafs to go back and made them pay out the ass to do it.

Want to wish that he doesn't find a home and is forced to retire but I am not that big of a *****e.. I think. We'll see what he decides to do now.

Uh, he did us a massive favour by waiving his NMC to be traded to a bottom feeder team to be bought out, Man. We super needed that to happen and he helped us out.

I don't think you should be mad at Marleau for anything.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It did, but I believe this is the first attributed quote. Everything else was a "I'm hearing" type of thing.

It came out in a similar vein of absolute certainty, albeit without a quote, but it came from Steve Simmons, and nothing of the sort had been purported by somebody with Friedman’s level of credibility.

Surprised he doesn't want to play for SJ for league-min. They're not stupid to overpay him and they're also not any ordinary contender either. It's a team he basically played his entire career on.

Maybe he feels as a 40 year old (week and a half) he's worth about $4M per year.

Marleau isn’t the one who doesn’t want to play for SJ for league minimum. SJ is the side that doesn’t want him.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Does he pull a Spezza and take a league minimum contract? If so that would really open up his options and a place like Glendale would be ideal. But if he wants a two million dollar payday that can't be fully buried in the minors then I can't imagine a lot of teams come knocking.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Thanks for making us waste a first Marleau! You ditched the Sharks and they are returning the favor. Then you ditched the Leafs to go back and made them pay out the ass to do it.

Want to wish that he doesn't find a home and is forced to retire but I am not that big of a *****e.. I think. We'll see what he decides to do now.

Leafs ditched him and his contract. They wanted nothing to do with it for another year.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So would the sharks take him for min wage for one year, or do they not even want him? Is Marleau really trying to get more than a minimum type deal, or is "fit" more of a role type thing, like he's not going to be given a top 6 spot and PP time and that's what he's looking for? I don't see why he wouldn't want to return there for a cheap one year deal to play whatever role they needed him to. I doubt he'll find a better situation than that...

Why do people assume SJ wants him at any number?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The fact that SJ doesn't want him actually makes Marleau waiving his NMC look way more generous.

He could have definitely made it an awkward situation and refused to waive. The Leafs would have been forced into some tough decisions, one of Kapanen or Johnsson would have probably been dealt. He's very unlikely to land in a better situation in terms of winning and the coaches usage than he had in Toronto. I always assumed he waived because he knew SJ would have a spot for him.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Lou is to blame for that horrendous contract, and Babcock is to blame for overplaying him. If anything, I'm grateful to Marleau for waiving his NMC.

I'm not too surprised San Jose doesn't want him, even for cheap. Marleau looked totally done last year

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Wish Marleau all the best, was very happy when the Leafs got him, unfortunately he's pretty much done, smart of the Sharks to avoid, I imagine most teams have better internal options, especially if he's lost another step.

No ill will about how the contract ended, that's on Lou for giving it to him, I'm sure he would've been happy to stay and I wish the team managed some success for him. I feel the Leafs let him down, particularly in his first year when he scored two in game 7, by year 2 he was done but still sucks to sign with a contender and not win a playoff round.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The fact that SJ doesn't want him actually makes Marleau waiving his NMC look way more generous.

He could have definitely made it an awkward situation and refused to waive. The Leafs would have been forced into some tough decisions, one of Kapanen or Johnsson woukd have probably been dealt. He's very unlikely to land in a better situation in terms of winning and the coaches usage than he had in Toronto. I always assumed he waived because he knew SJ would have a spot for him.

We paid the first to let him go out and try to find something instead of LTIR him. Dubas even said they did him a favour

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

How dare he refuse to waive his NMC that your team for god knows what reason decided to give him. No one owes the Leafs jack shit

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

He could have definitely made it an awkward situation and refused to waive. The Leafs would have been forced into some tough decisions, one of Kapanen or Johnsson woukd have probably been dealt. He's very unlikely to land in a better situation in terms of winning and the coaches usage than he had in Toronto. I always assumed he waived because he knew SJ would have a spot for him.

I don't think it was Marleau that initiated it, that's just the story everyone went along with. He's on the road half the year anyways, I'm sure his family could live with only seeing him for a few days in a 6 month period before he hangs them up. Neither party wanted an amicable relationship to end on Robidas island.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad