THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm not sure you know what or why you are arguing, especially with me. Good luck in your future rants.
Im not arguing with anyone I was having a discussion with you and whoever else happen to have an incorrect opinion about our fearless leader and dont have much evidence to back up why you dislike him other then quotes you dislike as opposed to facts pointing to him being the legit goat as far as American coaches go and top 20 all time and still rising. Its like saying Woody Hayes was a bad football coach because he was too hard on the players...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Im not arguing with anyone I was having a discussion with you and whoever else happen to have an incorrect opinion about our fearless leader and dont have much evidence to back up why you dislike him other then quotes you dislike as opposed to facts pointing to him being the legit goat as far as American coaches go and top 20 all time and still rising. Its like saying Woody Hayes was a bad football coach because he was too hard on the players...

Sorry for the English lesson.

debate - argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.
argument - a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

I hate to tell you this but you were presenting an argument, as was I.

Additionally that is a massive run on sentence.

Just because you think Torts is awesome doesn't mean my opinion is wrong. Frankly the little I can make out of what you wrote suggests you don't even have the most rudimentary understanding of my (nuanced) position. Have a good one.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Im not going to let this thread die and go to later pages... I want some of you to have to re read the garbage posted in here after over reacting all season. The team had noticeable down spots this year that match up with Fligs 2 medical emergencies, Murray going down, and TDL chemistry. If you look at those points it was outside issues keeping them down and becauase all canadian fans jump on Torts for being honest about Crosby 15yrs ago he is everyones whipping boy qho loses the lockerroom 25x a year and doesnt umderstand hockey today when you have highly skilled and fast teams the league has left him behind apparently. Has a cup, multiple coach of the years and even more nominations, top 25 in wins all time, and just a great teacher and an all time motivator and leader of men.
My biggest complaints and criticisms of Torts come from his line usage. Especially in game 3 of the PO's last year. He finally hit on 4 lines that is working so full credit to him, but lets not act like past issues are mistaken or invalid because he won a series. He flat out spanked Cooper, so credit where credit is due though.

Speaking of overreaction...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It's fairly hilarious that we now the bandwagon "keep him" fans posting around here now. This performance in the playoffs really doesn't change my opinions about Torts one way or another. Clearly he was always capable of coaching a team to win the Cup, he already did it once Many head coaches that have won Cups have been fired from their team(s).

There are many reasons to fire a head coach. He was probably not going to get fired no matter what happened, he was probably going to start the next season as the head coach.

Frankly he could help us win a Cup this season and still be fired next season if we start off slow. We have entered the big leagues now, the rules are different.

Again, I think he's a very good coach. I put him, maybe, in the 5-10 range of coaches in the league right now. I haven't looked at the list of current head coaches to firm up my placement. As I said earlier, he's probably already had a HoF coaching career. Having said that, I still have issues with him. I was never really firmly in one of the "keep him" or "fire him" camps. We can do better and we can certainly do worse.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
As the starter of this thread , Torts is safe , for now . It’s almost like he read this thread and had a coming to Jesus moment ... rolling 4 lines , getting Wennberg out of the lineup, scouting the opponent , and actually formulating a plan to actually take away the opponents strengths . Goes to show how well they can play by making these adjustments . As major pointed out , most of the reason they barely squeaked in was terrible coaching / player utilization.

Perhaps Torts is turning over a new leaf , and if so , he will be much more successful here . The bar was raised after last night though . I’m fully behind Torts for the remainder of the season , let’s see if he keeps it’s up .

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
As the starter of this thread , Torts is safe , for now . It’s almost like he read this thread and had a coming to Jesus moment ... rolling 4 lines , getting Wennberg out of the lineup, scouting the opponent , and actually formulating a plan to actually take away the opponents strengths .

[sarcasm] Yea .......... like we are a collection of geniuses. [/sarcasm]

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Blue Jackets bide time, trying to stay sharp as they wait

Tortorella heard the dogs barking at the edge of his property in Galena last Wednesday or Thursday. “I had some people drive up to my house,” Tortorella said. “They were just so excited, and some people were emotional, just talking about what they experienced in that Game 4 and the series. Any time they need from me in that situation … I have it for them, because I think it’s tremendous. As I’ve said from the get-go, my wife and family … we love it here. The people have been so good to us. To be a part of something like this, it reminds me a little bit of Tampa, when we were going through some stuff there. I’m just thrilled to be part of it and thrilled the people are behind us. They’ve been behind us through the bad stuff, too, so I respect that.”

• Wait. Fans just drove to Tortorella home unannounced? “I didn’t know who the hell it was … but that meant a lot. Some people would feel indignant about it. I … now, I’m not inviting everybody over to my house right now … but it was emotional for me, too, to see how much they care.”

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'll just wrap up my thoughts in a short post.

> Torts is a good coach, however I don't think he's great.
> I tend to think that Torts mismanages our roster and loses site of the bigger picture in his desire to win every game. It's a common failing, however this team is young and Foligno (as an example) isn't our future. In addition he just flat overplays Bob. To be honest, we've needed every point the last couple of seasons to even make it in so it's hard to be too hard on him for it.
> I don't think Torts is going to make a positive impact from a game planning perspective. To be honest, we need that playing against Tampa.
> Torts isn't all that great at in-game adjustments.
> Torts tends to get out-coached a bit
> There is certainly the concern that if you fire him you'll end up with someone worse.
> I'm not sure I'm in the fire him camp, but I'm certainly not in the keep him camp. We just signed him to a new two year deal, seems like we've got him to start next season no matter what happens in the playoffs.
> Based on the above, I'm not going to lose any sleep over him.
> With a roster in flux for next season, it's quite possible we start off slow next season. This could really make a mess of things as far as evaluating the coaching staff.
Just stumbled across this as I caught up on this thread. I can't wait to read the rest of the thread now that we've smoked Tampa by outplaying and outcoaching them.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Let's see how the Jackets do going forward in the playoffs and next season before we anoint Torts the Jack Adams in perpetuity award. He probably isn't as bad as he appeared during the season and he probably isn't as good as the Jackets thrashing of the Bolts implies.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'll eat crow on this. I wanted Torts gone, but with the win over Tampa I think he bought himself more time. Again I don't like his style, but as others have mentioned it's more effective in the playoffs than the regular season.
Now that could all change if Panarin or Duchene says I'll stay but only if the system changes.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Just stumbled across this as I caught up on this thread. I can't wait to read the rest of the thread now that we've smoked Tampa by outplaying and outcoaching them.

Yeah, I said later in the thread that the coaching staff did a good job preparing them. The interesting part was that we didn't have to adapt, Tampa had no answer.

Having said that, I stand by what I wrote. It's easy right now to change and to jump on the bandwagon, but 4 games doesn't erase what I've seen since he became our head coach. He won a Cup before, logic would dictate he can win another one. I heard some clowns (97.1?) say that the road is now wide open to the Cup for the CBJ. That's just not true. There are very tough matchups left, ones I felt less comfortable with than Tampa - Islanders as an example. Playing Boston is just one goon hit away from losing a player to injury. Long way to go.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
There is nothing on the web, but I heard on Sirius that the Senators are interested in talking to Brad Shaw about being the head coach

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Its clear (to me) that the high of the TB series has worn off, and the "FIRE TORTS"-ers will just be as loud as they ever have after a "failure" of a series against BOS.

(Ignoring making the playoffs-that wouldn't happen-AGAIN-3 years in a row)

"The series win against TB is only 1 series win in 20 years", they will say....

And yet, it will also be seen as reason why they should have beaten BOS, if they lose.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What ever happened to Torts turning Bjorkstrand into a "checker"??

Or let me guess, since he supposedly, "doesn't teach/coach offense", he's not responsible for any positive influence on an offensive players overall offensive game and results...??

Where do Bjorkstrand, Texier, Dubois, Anderson, AND OTHERS fit into the narrative that Torts is bad for young players, whether in regards to "overall" or OFFENSIVE "development"...??

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
What ever happened to Torts turning Bjorkstrand into a "checker"??

Or let me guess, since he supposedly, "doesn't teach/coach offense", he's not responsible for any positive influence on an offensive players overall offensive game and results...??

Where do Bjorkstrand, Texier, Dubois, Anderson, AND OTHERS fit into the narrative that Torts is bad for young players, whether in regards to "overall" or OFFENSIVE "development"...??
Welp, from my understanding , they have kept Texier far far away from Torts , and told him just basic defensive concepts . No paralysis by analysis , and he’s just playing his game ... amazing concept .

Contrast that with Bjorkstrand that is just now recovering from Torts coaching , and showing the allstar potential we all thought he had . Your foolish however to discard the year and a half that Bjork totally lost his game , and is just now recovering from . Milano , same boat ... William Karlsson , a checker here , 10 minutes per night , leaves here , goes on to score 50 g last year . So to dismiss the criticism of player utilization , would be pretty foolish . Let’s just hope Torts doesn’t fall back into his old tendencies with round 2 beginning . He needs to coach the same way . Roll 4 lines and trust them . Leave his skilled wingers alone , so they can play their game

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Its clear (to me) that the high of the TB series has worn off, and the "FIRE TORTS"-ers will just be as loud as they ever have after a "failure" of a series against BOS.

(Ignoring making the playoffs-that wouldn't happen-AGAIN-3 years in a row)

"The series win against TB is only 1 series win in 20 years", they will say....

And yet, it will also be seen as reason why they should have beaten BOS, if they lose.
Can we please at least hold off on targeting strawmen until the arguments they caricature actually appear?

* * *​
Welp, from my understanding , they have kept Texier far far away from Torts , and told him just basic defensive concepts . No paralysis by analysis , and he’s just playing his game ... amazing concept .

Contrast that with Bjorkstrand that is just now recovering from Torts coaching , and showing the allstar potential we all thought he had . Your foolish however to discard the year and a half that Bjork totally lost his game , and is just now recovering from . Milano , same boat ... William Karlsson , a checker here , 10 minutes per night , leaves here , goes on to score 50 g last year . So to dismiss the criticism of player utilization , would be pretty foolish . Let’s just hope Torts doesn’t fall back into his old tendencies with round 2 beginning . He needs to coach the same way . Roll 4 lines and trust them . Leave his skilled wingers alone , so they can play their game
...do you have sources for any of this? Because it reads a lot more like biased supposition than it does reporting.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Can we please at least hold off on targeting strawmen until the arguments they caricature actually appear?

No.

What you call a "strawman", I consider a guaranteed future in regards to a certain sequence of events occurring.

Not to mention they are LITERALLY arguments that have already been used in the past.

Torts knows what he's doing and talking about more than random fans that claim he doesn't know what he's doing and talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad