The "Fire Michel Therrien" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell Yeah!!!

Mar 11, 2007
ATL
Just a random thought here:

I think MT is 100% safe for the rest of the year now. I thought if there was going to be a time for him to get fired... it would've been the start of All-Star break. Obviously it didn't happen & I truly believe he is safe for the rest of the year no matter what happens.

Agree that he is safe as well, why bother paying two coaches for the rest of a lost season.

PenguinGuru*

My opinion on this matter should be pretty well established at this point.

And it is, we all know very well how pleased you are with the coaching staff and that you were very disappointed:sarcasm: with only a 3 year extension.

Katawah

Nov 17, 2008
Well .. here it is (as I type this) early evening of the 11th of February 2009 .. and the elephant is still in the livingroom. {{Sigh}}.

This team will not 'turn it around' until the coaching staff is replaced. This is theTOP priority .. and it is not being addressed by the ownership/management.

Until this issue is addressed and dealt with, this team will not come anywhere near going "deep into the playoffs". Trades at the deadline are not going to do a damn thing to change the toxic atmosphere that has developed around this team because of Therrien and Yeo.

The players long ago got sick and tired of Therrien and Yeo. This has been confirmed by the media reports of Bob McKenzie. The players have tried to "ignore" this, but they are only human and so it wears them down over the long haul. It doesn't go away. It doesn't get easier to ignore. It only gets to be more and more of a drag. It can't help but affect all levels of performance. Like I said .. it's a toxic atmosphere. This MUST be dealt with before any 'turnaround' is going to happen.

Shero/Mario are being irresponsible by not addressing this main priority. They have deliberately put out PR garbage .. lies, essentially, to the effect that "there's not a coaching problem". This is a lie. And it's really disgusting to see this elephant in the livingroom being ignored for so long, with no end in sight to this charade. Shero/Mario are only trying to save face and avoid the embarassment of admitting they made a mistake in giving Therrien the extension, and so they are not doing what needs to be done in the best interests of the core players and the fans. This is a huge disappointment, and it's only becoming more toxic and more despicable as time goes on.

And now, there's the likelihood that long-term assets will be sacrificed to make some "quick-fix" move at the trade deadline, which, as I already stated, will not do a damn thing to fix what's wrong, because the elephant will still be in the livingroom.

Therrien is an AHL coach. He can work with a new incoming class of guys from Juniors and College every season .. doing his "tough babysitter" schtick. It works at the AHL level because there's a new class of kids coming in every year for their first year as a pro. But it sure as hell wears thin and gets old very fast in the NHL, especially when the coach can't even make simple in-game adjustments, has zero common sense, is incredibly stubborn, and has a ridiculous compulsion to constantly juggle linemate combinations.

This charade is turning me off to this organization. A very bitter pill to swallow after all the hype.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Why don't you just copy and paste instead of typing the same thing 311 times?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Corporate Accounts payable Nina speaking, just a moment.

(that's what it is becoming, nothing wrong with the message, just the repetitiveness.)

No Quarter*

Dude, why don't you just close the thread?
As soon as this lame ass thread starts to die down this clown shows up and repeats himself again and tries to get it going again. I mean the dude doesn't post about any other hockey related subject except for his personal witch hunt on MT and it gets old after awhile.
Also I would bet that 99.9% of the people on here are sick of him also and the .1% that isn't is himself.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
More like white ones, like this thread.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Just had to bump this thread. To go from a 2-0 lead to down 5-2 in less than half the game, particularly when the players appear to have no idea what they are supposed to be doing, is just brutal.

Everyone celebrates coaches who are able to do more with less, but Therrien is in a league o his own when it comes to doing less with more. I'll take the injuries excuse in so much as it would tough to be top of the east with the players missing that long, but how many coaches could have actually managed to take this roster right out of the playoffs? It's reaching a point where this is almost an accomplishment in itself. Toronto will move to 7 points back of the Pens after tonight, yet among the 3 losses are 7-3 and 6-2 scores, and I can't say I've seen too many teams call Toronto a bad matchup.

Ridiculous, bloody ridiculous....

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just think, we only have 25 more games of MT as our head coach!:yo: Management has folded, or they would have said "screw it we will pay 2 coaches".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just as an outside perspective, if Shero is really considering it, he needs to do it before it's too late. If he waits too long or even after the season, that's basically an acknowledgment that he ignored a problem and didn't try to fix it when he could have.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Just as an outside perspective, if Shero is really considering it, he needs to do it before it's too late. If he waits too long or even after the season, that's basically an acknowledgment that he ignored a problem and didn't try to fix it when he could have.

The positives of firing Therrien appear to be obvious to everyone but Ray Shero.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

They don't wanna pay for 2 coaches because they are cheap, rather save their money and miss the playoffs only to lose it, then to pay 2 coaches. Either way, they are still going to lose money.

SirJordanStaal11*

They don't wanna pay for 2 coaches because they are cheap, rather save their money and miss the playoffs only to lose it, then to pay 2 coaches. Either way, they are still going to lose money.

At least we sort of "win" no matter what. If the team continues to suck the rest of the year we get a decently high pick and some players dealt at the deadline for picks/young players.

I would personally prefer to fire Therrien and give a new coach some time to evaluate and our record be damned rather than wait until the off-season to drop the axe.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho

and merchandising money... and fans...

Theres a lot more at stake than just some playoff bucks. People are not going to be pleased with shelling out big bucks to watch a regressing team.

Potenza

Dec 28, 2008
Just think, we only have 25 more games of MT as our head coach!:yo: Management has folded, or they would have said "screw it we will pay 2 coaches".

In truth there's no guarantee that he'll be fired this off season. RS & ownership keep saying it's not a coaching problem, we have no way of knowing if they really feel the coach needs to go or not. If they don't see it their about the only ones that don't realize it. It could turn into another wing situation where the issue exists & they don't address year after year.

hockeydadx2*

In truth there's no guarantee that he'll be fired this off season. RS & ownership keep saying it's not a coaching problem, we have no way of knowing if they really feel the coach needs to go or not. If they don't see it their about the only ones that don't realize it. It could turn into another wing situation where the issue exists & they don't address year after year.

Because, really, everybody here knows more about the whole situation than RS and ownership. Uh-huh.

MT may well need to go, but it never made sense to do it during the season. There's nobody who's any good who is available to work, and whomever is brought in still has this crappy team to coach. Better to wait until the season is over, re-evaluate the entire scenario, and then have the ability to pick from many other more worthy candidates to replace MT, if that is the path they will take.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I seriously doubt that, there has been alot of reports from players talking about the coach during interviews and stuff. One off my head is the Sykora interview. If it is the coach and he is not gone this team will all ask to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad