The "Fire Michel Therrien" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Malone is a guy that makes his linemates better, and creates time and space, and probably doesn't always show up on the scoresheet for a goal that wouldn't have happened without his work.. Whether it's creating havoc in front of the net, a hit in the corner, etc.

Yeah, I'm not a huge Malone fan but I agree with your point.

Production doesn't matter as much as helping your team win hockey games, and there is a difference.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Malone is a guy that makes his linemates better, and creates time and space, and probably doesn't always show up on the scoresheet for a goal that wouldn't have happened without his work.. Whether it's creating havoc in front of the net, a hit in the corner, etc.

I know, which is why I'm not saying it's a one-to-one swap either. Malone is the better player, no doubt. I just thought it was interesting to note that as of today, and if he keeps his pace, Satan will end up matching Malone's production from last year.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I know, which is why I'm not saying it's a one-to-one swap either. Malone is the better player, no doubt. I just thought it was interesting to note that as of today, and if he keeps his pace, Satan will end up matching Malone's production from last year.

I really miss Malone...I mean he was ok on the ice...but his escapades off it were pretty legendary.

Plus I can't use these anymore...

3220975560_babe63c291.jpg

3220124409_09e5a42eca.jpg

PenguinGuru*

I really miss Malone...I mean he was ok on the ice...but his escapades off it were pretty legendary.

Plus I can't use these anymore...

3220975560_babe63c291.jpg

3220124409_09e5a42eca.jpg

I must have been using the wrong board all these years. What off ice stuff did I miss?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I still think Kevin Dineen would be a good coach for this team. He's lacking in behind-the-bench experience compared to most other candidates though.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think we all miss Taters, on some level. Although, him wreaking gash down south means I'm now less likely to end up 2 degrees separated from Malone.:naughty:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just a random thought here:

I think MT is 100% safe for the rest of the year now. I thought if there was going to be a time for him to get fired... it would've been the start of All-Star break. Obviously it didn't happen & I truly believe he is safe for the rest of the year no matter what happens.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Just a random thought here:

I think MT is 100% safe for the rest of the year now. I thought if there was going to be a time for him to get fired... it would've been the start of All-Star break. Obviously it didn't happen & I truly believe he is safe for the rest of the year no matter what happens.

Same here. I've actually come to accept it. It's on the players to overcome any differences they have and just play hockey, as difficult as it may be.

PenguinGuru*

Do you know any girls that live in the continental United States?

Then you know someone that Ryan Malone has "bedded".

A pro hockey player sowing his loins is hardly shocking.

Unless of course you have juicy details. :naughty:

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
After playing hockey the better part of his adult life in Pittsburgh and Minnesota, Ryan Malone responds to what life is like in Tampa Bay.

"The girls don't wear parkas or long underwear. It's like half my work is done for me."

Katawah

Nov 17, 2008
Well .. this thread has degenerated .. almost predictably.

I'll take a shot at reviving it, but in a way that implicates Mario and Shero for doing nothing regarding this issue .. that is, nothing but making phony/false PR statements in the media regarding this issue.

Maybe this really requires a new thread (?), but what the hell.

Well; yes .. Mario/Shero now have definitely shown that they are not willing to acknowledge that there are these elephants in the livingroom (Therrien and Yeo).
And this shows that Mario/Shero would rather waste this season, would rather allow the morale and the atmosphere to deteriorate even further as this season winds down, and would rather not have to deal with the embarassment of firing a coach only six months after (foolishly) handing said coach a two-years extension .. rather than doing the right thing, the courageous thing, by replacing this poisonous coaching staff in the best interests of the players and the fans.

This situation is apparently now going to agonizingly have to "play itself out" to an ugly, destructive conclusion. This is going to risk doing permanent damage to the relationships between various players and the ownership/management of this organization.

Just how long are Mario/Shero going to wait?

Any trades/signings before the trade deadline this season will in all likelihood have little positive impact on the performance of this team unless by some miracle a coaching change suddenly materializes by the first week of February .. which has a snowball's chance in hell of happening. Anyway .. adding some fresh , "good quality" ingredients to a bowl of poisoned food, and stirring well .. isn't going to change the fact that you've still got a bowl of poisoned food.

I expect this team to not make the playoffs .. and at this point, assuming the MT/Yeo two-headed albatross is still dragging-down this team, I hope they do not make the playoffs. This team will never win a Cup with these coaches, the players have long ago grown sick and tired of them .. and yet Mario/Shero keep avoiding the truth while they make phony "politically-correct" PR statements in response to 'staged' interviewers' lobbed-soft-ball questions about the coaching .. while players such as Crosby hand out similar politically-correct, scripted, phony utterances in the same sorts of pseudo interviews.

A big red flag was apparently ignored by Mario/Shero in early July of 2008. They apparently decided to give Therrien the extension even after Hossa decided that he'd rather play under Babcock (and under Holland), rather than play under Therrien and Yeo. I think Therrien (and his staff) was the real reason Hossa didn't sign with the Penguins .. and there was even a first-hand report about this from a poster on the main Penguins messageboard in July 2008. Gary Roberts was not a happy camper at all, regarding MT .. and that was another red flag, at least. A bunch of players jumped ship .. but no real heed was paid to it.

Apparently Mario/Shero felt forced to extend Therrien simply because the Penguins made it to Game 6 of the Finals, even though it was the players who took Therrien to the Finals, rather than the knee-jerk assertions of so many that "MT took them to Game 6 of the Finals .. blah-blah-blah". Please .. don't put the cart before the horse.

And we recently had Bob McKenzie chime-in with a major report about how the players were really sick and tired of Therrien and his coaching. But people even played THAT down around here. Hundreds of people should have marched down to Mellon Arena and shoved that into Mario/Shero's faces.

Anyway, this disgusting mess is now on Mario/Shero .. but they are evidently content to save face and avoid facing the music, while they allow this season to go to waste, and as they allow likely resentments to build within players that could alienate various players from the organization .. not to mention turning off a lot of fans and killing the momentum that had built-up in support of the Penguins in the Pittsburgh area.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Chalk me up as a Tom Renney fan.. IF Renney is fired and he lasts until the summer without getting another NHL job I'd at least consider him to coach the Pens.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Renney is a big NO for me. Superstars don't really like playing for him, and he's waaaaaaaaaaay too defensive. If we fire Therrien, it should always be with an eye towards a more offensive approach...Laviolette, Tortorella, Crawford et al.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Never heard that superstars don't like playing for him. He squeezed some good years out of Jagr, which is more than Ron Wilson or Bruce Cassidy could do. And Jagr seemed happy in NY. Zherdev's having a career year under him, too.

I don't consider him too defensive, either. The Rangers of the past few seasons have seemed to be a team that can adjust to any style, any tempo, at the flip of a switch. Yeah, he's a defense-first coach and they basically play the trap, oh well, most teams do. He doesn't seem to object to run-and-gun and offensive creativity.

What I like about Renney is he seems like more than just a buffoon that screams at you until he's blue in the face and benches you to motivate you. He's an intelligent guy, and I think he uses more intelligent tactics to get the most out of his players than your average NHL coach. His overall "system" seems more intricate than just a 1-2-2 also, and the Rangers always have great support around the puck, especially during their breakout. When defending, I'm always surprised with how physical the Rangers D is in the corners and down low. On paper they look like 6 powder puffs, but on the ice they're downright nasty. Maybe that credit goes to the assistants, I don't know.

Another thing I like about Renney is when I've heard him defend players after having bad games. If a player has a bad game and say, turns the puck over, he looks at the big picture, talks about whether or not that player had passing options and the necessary support from his teammates, rather than just calling the player out for the turnovers.

And come on, Jagr and Sean Avery in the same locker and not a peep out of either one. That's gotta count for something.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
How about MT as head coach for the baby Pens? fire him, then re-hire him for the farm. He would be and he WAS the perfect coach for the WBS Pens. They went on something like 30-5-1 record or something close to that with him as their head coach. He will be perfect for the farm.

edit- wow what a couincidence...talking about NYR headcoach being fired and my "head coach" was in blue font with an add when you put cursor over it, and Jacob had the same thing with "Rangers".

edit 2- Hmm not anymore, my blue font has dissapeared.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Never heard that superstars don't like playing for him. He squeezed some good years out of Jagr, which is more than Ron Wilson or Bruce Cassidy could do. And Jagr seemed happy in NY. Zherdev's having a career year under him, too.

I don't consider him too defensive, either. The Rangers of the past few seasons have seemed to be a team that can adjust to any style, any tempo, at the flip of a switch. Yeah, he's a defense-first coach and they basically play the trap, oh well, most teams do. He doesn't seem to object to run-and-gun and offensive creativity.

What I like about Renney is he seems like more than just a buffoon that screams at you until he's blue in the face and benches you to motivate you. He's an intelligent guy, and I think he uses more intelligent tactics to get the most out of his players than your average NHL coach. His overall "system" seems more intricate than just a 1-2-2 also, and the Rangers always have great support around the puck, especially during their breakout. When defending, I'm always surprised with how physical the Rangers D is in the corners and down low. On paper they look like 6 powder puffs, but on the ice they're downright nasty. Maybe that credit goes to the assistants, I don't know.

Another thing I like about Renney is when I've heard him defend players after having bad games. If a player has a bad game and say, turns the puck over, he looks at the big picture, talks about whether or not that player had passing options and the necessary support from his teammates, rather than just calling the player out for the turnovers.

And come on, Jagr and Sean Avery in the same locker and not a peep out of either one. That's gotta count for something.

Well I respectfully disagree. Renney seems a lot like Andy Murray of the Blues. Their weakness is that they are probably too cerebral, too much into tinkering and tweaking systems. You can overload your players with information. Hockey players aren't the brightest human beings on the planet. I say that not to knock them but we're talking about a large percentage of the NHLPA not being college graduates. Sometimes, less is more for them.

And I just don't like the way the Rangers play and haven't since he got there. And I hated the way the Canucks played under him, too. They are really, really soft. Especially on defense. He seems to have his favorites (the fourth line) and a rather big dog house (Prucha).

If we have to go in this direction, I hope we keep Therrien for a long time. At least he's proven once to be capable of getting the most out of his players, unlike Renney.

Katawah

Nov 17, 2008
Today was a shining example of what a lousy coach Therrien is.

We desperately needed some sort of in-game adjustment that would provide us with .. duh .. more offense. Just one adjustment that could have .. should have .. been made .. was to activate the defensemen into the offense, at least in the attacking zone. This was a no-brainer, in fact. But, no .. no .. no .. no .. good old Therrien would have none of that. After all, he knows that when something isn't working, the best thing to do is to just DEFINITELY NOT try anything different whatsoever.

He did the same damn thing he did in games One and Two of the Cup Finals last season! He failed to activate the 'D' then .. and he obviously hasn't learned a damn thing from that experience. This was total Deja Vu. He fails to learn.

And he just kept us dumping the puck in, and then not really bothering to put us in a position to retieve it after the dump-in.

He apparently did everything he could in order to create an outcome similar to games One and Two of the Cup Finals last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad