The "Fire Michel Therrien" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potenza

Dec 28, 2008
Dude, why don't you just close the thread?
As soon as this lame ass thread starts to die down this clown shows up and repeats himself again and tries to get it going again. I mean the dude doesn't post about any other hockey related subject except for his personal witch hunt on MT and it gets old after awhile.
Also I would bet that 99.9% of the people on here are sick of him also and the .1% that isn't is himself.

If the post annoy you that much put him on ignore & don't read the posts lol

Potenza

Dec 28, 2008
Because, really, everybody here knows more about the whole situation than RS and ownership. Uh-huh.

MT may well need to go, but it never made sense to do it during the season. There's nobody who's any good who is available to work, and whomever is brought in still has this crappy team to coach. Better to wait until the season is over, re-evaluate the entire scenario, and then have the ability to pick from many other more worthy candidates to replace MT, if that is the path they will take.

This team has need top 6 wings for years & they never really addressed the issue. With your logic I guess there haven't been wings available all those years.

I brought the issue that he might not go this offseason, because people on here are like he's almost gone. There's no guarantee he will be they could bring him back next year, they might have complete faith in him. The point I was trying to make is no reason to get your hopes up that he will be gone. We have no real way of knowing whats going on behind closed doors.

ZenPenguin*

Therrien should be fired for having Dupuis and/or Talbot on a line with Crosby. If that's not a good reason, then his "system" which has produced the least amount of shots per game even though he has the two best players in the NHL on his team, is obviously not working.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
If Shero doesn't fire this guy in the off-season, I will be seriously disappointed. It's very possible that we have the worst coaching staff in the NHL.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I've said plenty about how MT should have already been let go, but after this game against the Leafs, I don't understand why he hasn't been let go and an interim coach hasn't been brought in. They HAVE to let him go after the season is over, given that we don't make it to the finals again. So why wait? Fire him now and just maybe this season can be recovered, the team can maybe turn around and show up strong and play like we know they can in the playoffs.

tdizzle77

Jan 21, 2009
Lemieux wasn't watching the game. He was watching his kid's pee-wee hockey games...maybe he was scouting some talent there.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
We couldn't even muster 25-30 shots on the Leafs, one of the most piss-poor defensive teams in the league. How can you expect to win games when you play like that?

It's not as simple as shooting more, but 18 shots on net halfway through the 3rd period is a disgrace. Especially considering the Maple Leafs blueline is mostly inexperienced and probably bottom 10 in the league.

I don't mean to come off as a jackass, but I'm not sure we could score 3 goals against an AHL team the way we've been playing lately.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
I half-way thought I'd wake up this morning and see that I move had been made after last night's meltdown.

3TB3*

take a 2-0 lead in the 1st period and immediately go into a "prevent defense"? if you can't win with a crosby AND a malkin and a goalie standing on his head for 2 periods on your team , you shouldn't be coaching this team anymore.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
We couldn't even muster 25-30 shots on the Leafs, one of the most piss-poor defensive teams in the league. How can you expect to win games when you play like that?

It's not as simple as shooting more, but 18 shots on net halfway through the 3rd period is a disgrace. Especially considering the Maple Leafs blueline is mostly inexperienced and probably bottom 10 in the league.

I don't mean to come off as a jackass, but I'm not sure we could score 3 goals against an AHL team the way we've been playing lately.

This team has only scored 1 actual real goal in the last 3 games, people have to remember those other 2 were defensive own goals or ricochets off of defenders..... just one friggen goal in 9 periods. While everyone is freaking out about how horrible our defense has been our offense has gone fishing as well in this stretch. This team right now is possibly even worse than the one that was in early January.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
This team has only scored 1 actual real goal in the last 3 games, people have to remember those other 2 were defensive own goals or ricochets off of defenders..... just one friggen goal in 9 periods. While everyone is freaking out about how horrible our defense has been our offense has gone fishing as well in this stretch. This team right now is possibly even worse than the one that was in early January.
Agreed. How can Shero be so blind? When you have 2 of the top 3 players in the league there is no excuse for such abysmal offensive performance.

I don't think a coaching change will dramatically improve our situation, but enough is enough. Therrien has proven time and time again that he has no consistent offensive system. Last year our hot PP helped to cover up our issues generating offensive even-strength, but this year our PP is horrendous.. that cats out of the bag.

You simply cannot win games in this league without taking chances and putting shots on net. That's the biggest problem with this team. We don't have anyone who can hit the net, much less put the puck in the back of the net. You can't win hockey games with only 2 players carrying the offensive load.

gialloneri

Hypno-Brooks!
Aug 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think a coaching change will dramatically improve our situation, but enough is enough. Therrien has proven time and time again that he has no consistent offensive system. Last year our hot PP helped to cover up our issues generating offensive even-strength, but this year our PP is horrendous.. that cats out of the bag.

I'm no expert on the intricacies of the game, not having ever played, but something I noticed last night is the way we cycle the puck in the corners. We'll have one player battling for the puck on the boards in the corner, with the other two forwards lining up behind the net along the boards and back on the sideboards waiting for the outlet pass. It seems like such a low percentage system - more often than not, we'll lose the puck without getting a shot off, or our players have no chance to get to a rebound in the rare event we get a shot away.

Now, other teams, it seems to me, when cycling the puck they have a player out front to suck in a defenseman and to give an offensive rebound threat. We, on the other hand, have all our players set up in the offensive zone in unthreatening positions. On more than one occasion, I've seen all three players positioned on the goal-line or behind the net, which basically means none of them are in position to score with a quick one-timer. We're making it far too easy for opposition defenses to nullify any offensive threat even when we're established in the attacking zone.

Now, maybe some of this is a function of having too many small or soft forwards, that we need to use 2 players to battle for the puck along the boards, but it seems like the offensive system is unchanged from last season. Perhaps I'm well off-base on this one, but what are others' thoughts?

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
my thought is that therrien sucks and must have some very compromising pictures of Shero:naughty:

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Agreed. How can Shero be so blind? When you have 2 of the top 3 players in the league there is no excuse for such abysmal offensive performance.

You simply cannot win games in this league without taking chances and putting shots on net. That's the biggest problem with this team. We don't have anyone who can hit the net, much less put the puck in the back of the net. You can't win hockey games with only 2 players carrying the offensive load.

What, you mean going to Crosby/Malkin on the same line halfway through the game is not a system?

To go somewhat OT, it was funny to hear CBC announcers talking about when the Pens would go to Malkin/Crosby, at one point even saying "Pens are waiting for this" or something along those lines. No, we're not. We're waiting for Therrien to be fired.

Seriously though, yes, they hadn't played with Gonchar all season, but it's one thing to not quite have the chemistry out there, and it's quite another to look as completely lost on the PP as they did last night. While I've never ben one to say that just because a guy has a contract he can play(Satan), the way they looked last night was more than just guys who can't play. They are trying to do what the coaches are telling them, but it just goes against common hockey sense so badly they just can't commit to it. Or so it would seem.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
That'd require a GM with balls.

Not that I necessarily agree with naming himself coach in the place of the fired one, but does anyone else not think there is somewhat of a link between New Jersey's success and Lamoriello's complete unwillingness to tolerate subpar performance? And until recently, I think New Jersey faced somewhat similar financial issues as the Pens....

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Came in right the day before he got fired. Sometimes I have these premonitions :snide:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad