The "Fire Michel Therrien" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
(Mods, please feel free to merge this with an existing thread of the same subject, if there is one)

I hope Ray Shero is strongly contemplating the issue of this team's play under Therien and his staff. The power play is disgraceful, and the 5-on-5 performance leaves a lot to be desired. This team barely seems to play well unless they get behind and have to come back -- hence their record when trailing -- and this is a terrible habbit that has gone on far too long and is going to come back and bite them hard in the ass one of these days.

Therien gets praised for his "willingness" and his "insight" when it comes to changing line combinations, but the problem only exists in the first place because the team as a whole aren't playing well.

I know Gonch and Whitney are out, but this team is better on paper than they are performing and their forwards, who are healthy, are the ones that are disappointing the most. I don't see the "system" that Therien keeps talking about, but if there is one, it's time for something new.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I would be on board for this in a heartbeat... if there were better options out there. As of now, I'm not sure there are any.

Free Willy

Jun 30, 2008
im still scratching my head as to why he seperated crosby and malkin when it was clear that they were the only thing working, Buffalo scores on the first shift of crosby dupuis satan and he continues to stick with them!

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I would be on board for this in a heartbeat... if there were better options out there. As of now, I'm not sure there are any.
I'm not really an MT lover or hater but Cunnyworth and Constantine come to mind. With the way this team is built right now I wouldn't mind seeing Nolan either.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As much as I despise Therrien, Yeo is a million times worse. He has a power play that should be top 5 in the league without even trying and has it playing at a lower clip than the ****ing Islanders.

Robo-Pope

Feb 19, 2007
Even I've about had it with HCMT at this point. Whatever he's telling his team when they're up after 2, it is spectacularly not working.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We're like 8-2 in November. While I'm getting ready for this team to move to the next level with some superior hockey minds behind the bench, a panic move at this point in the season doesn't behoove us. If for no better reason than it might actually backfire and we might end up playing worse, and because there's not a lot of good coaching candidates available in December.

Firing a coach at this stage is usually what garbage teams do when they don't have anything else to lose.

Let's see how this season goes.

SirJordanStaal11*

Our offense has seemingly suffered under Therrien, but I am afraid what would happen to us defensively if we got a guy like Tortarella here. You guys are quick to forgot how terrible we were defensively before Therrien. He at least deserves some credit for getting us to play responsibly, even if the effort hasn't been there like we'd like this year.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Fire Therrien and Yeo and promote Savard in an interm role. If he can iron out the wrinkles...he keeps the job. If he can't...search for a new coach in the off season.

That's what I'd do IF Therrien's firing was impending...which it isn't.

SirJordanStaal11*

The trouble with Therrien too is I don't think we are capable of having the losing streak it would take to get him fired. Sid and Malkin are just too good to let that happen.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fire Therrien and Yeo and promote Savard in an interm role. If he can iron out the wrinkles...he keeps the job. If he can't...search for a new coach in the off season.

That's what I'd do IF Therrien's firing was impending...which it isn't.

That's a very reasonable scenario if the Penguins were to go 0-5 or something for a stretch.

As much as I hate Torterella his whole "safe is death" mentality really scratches at the Penguins' itch right now. In my dream world, however, Andy Murray would be on the redeye to Pittsburgh with a shiny new contract.. with Fetisov as his assistant.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We're like 8-2 in November. While I'm getting ready for this team to move to the next level with some superior hockey minds behind the bench, a panic move at this point in the season doesn't behoove us. If for no better reason than it might actually backfire and we might end up playing worse, and because there's not a lot of good coaching candidates available in December.

Firing a coach at this stage is usually what garbage teams do when they don't have anything else to lose.

Let's see how this season goes.

That is why we just fire Yeo and hire a 10 year old kid who can put 2 and 2 together to make 4. 2+2=4, not 5 Yeo....FOUR!!!

hockeydadx2*

If RS really paid attention to the opinions of people here, he'd have fired MT years ago. Thankfully, though, he does not appear to take these opinions into account when he makes decisions.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
...and the bandwagon strikes again. :facepalm:

Hate to burst everybody's bubble, but Therrien's not getting fired any time soon. Unless we just **** the bed and lose the next 10-15 games, there's no reason not to.

Although he needs an offensive mastermind around him BADLY. Yeo's the equivalent of Yakov Smirnov at this point.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
As much as I despise Therrien, Yeo is a million times worse. He has a power play that should be top 5 in the league without even trying and has it playing at a lower clip than the ****ing Islanders.

Yea.. I 100% agree. MT wasn't that terrible tonight (which shocked me).

Our powerplay needs a federal bailout.

Or... movement. It's the little things that aren't being coached that are missing on the Power Play. It's a complete and utter joke. Strong side powerplay w/ no movement?!?!? Forcing the puck to Malkin to take a slap shot EVERY time!??!? Every NHL team will be able to stop it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If RS really paid attention to the opinions of people here, he'd have fired MT years ago. Thankfully, though, he does not appear to take these opinions into account when he makes decisions.

Do you ever bring insight to a hockey discussion or just try to bash people? If you want to defend the man... bring in detailed reasons for why you believe it.

I'm not saying there is one answer... but at least back up your own.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
...and the bandwagon strikes again. :facepalm:

Hate to burst everybody's bubble, but Therrien's not getting fired any time soon. Unless we just **** the bed and lose the next 10-15 games, there's no reason not to.

Although he needs an offensive mastermind around him BADLY. Yeo's the equivalent of Yakov Smirnov at this point.

The only way MT goes is if Pens miss the playoffs. Even if Pens make it to 8th spot, he stays.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Just for the record, I am not satisfied with Therriens coaching one bit.

Having said that though... I think it would be a bit unprecidented for a team to fire a coach who has a solid winning record with a team. I think Shero would take a beating in the media if he were to fire MT right now, plus there really arent that many coaching subsitute options floating around at the moment.

I would be more satisfied with the method that Chicago went about with. They picked up Quennevile and gave him a job within the organization and had him ready to go the second they were unsatisfied with Savard.

Now as for Yeo... I certainly think he should be fired instantly mostly anyone could produce better results on the PP with the talent we have then he has been capable of doing.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Yea.. I 100% agree. MT wasn't that terrible tonight (which shocked me).

Or... movement. It's the little things that aren't being coached that are missing on the Power Play. It's a complete and utter joke. Strong side powerplay w/ no movement?!?!? Forcing the puck to Malkin to take a slap shot EVERY time!??!? Every NHL team will be able to stop it.

That and they always go for a lazy dump in where they dont even really pursue the puck much at all and simply hand it over. To me that is the aspect of our PP that has outshined the lack of movement issue since we rarely even get into the zone and get set up to not be able to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad