The Erik "Gudzilla" Gudbranson Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
giphy.gif

Joke aside, I'm hoping you're just trolling us, if only because of what it means if you're not.

I actually kinda hope he's not trolling because it would mean he's Jim Rutherford and we can ask him for some trade scoops.

Jokes aside Gudbranson has played well and I'm happy to see it even if I have my doubts about his long term abilities.

Reactions: NEPA

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Daley in the cup year at his best was like Letang lite. The analytics backed that up.

GudgoingtoBranson is like Letang after a lobotomy.

I mean I like how he has done compared to the low expectations, but come on.
Gudbranson is a slightly slower, less offensive, but gigantic version of Ian Cole.

I am ok with that. Yeah his cap hit isn't ideal, but honestly, I would rather him than Olli Maatta and I am 100% alone in that boat and that's fine. I think Gudbranson is a solid #5/6 that can really fit in the role he is in. He's in a good age too that there's still a lot of potential that hasn't been explored. He skates fairly well for his size, blocks shots, is physical and decent in his own end. He's been a Penguin for barely a dozen games, but I think he'll be that element we were missing in Ian Cole.

JJ wasn't that. I think JJ is what we had in Daley/Hainsey, in that he can move the puck, is a borderline dip shit at times, but can be solid when his game is simplified to the point a 1st grader understands the game plan.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Daley in the cup year at his best was like Letang lite. The analytics backed that up.

GudgoingtoBranson is like Letang after a lobotomy.

I mean I like how he has done compared to the low expectations, but come on.
Whadayamean "better than Letang"...?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His season is over with injury.
I know.

It was a joke about how the Canucks faithful love to pump the tires of shit players, like Pouliot and Sutter. They were also tripping over themselves to anoint Boeser as the heir apparent to Ovechkin for goal scoring.

They's jokes bro.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Gudbranson is a slightly slower, less offensive, but gigantic version of Ian Cole.

I am ok with that. Yeah his cap hit isn't ideal, but honestly, I would rather him than Olli Maatta and I am 100% alone in that boat and that's fine. I think Gudbranson is a solid #5/6 that can really fit in the role he is in. He's in a good age too that there's still a lot of potential that hasn't been explored. He skates fairly well for his size, blocks shots, is physical and decent in his own end. He's been a Penguin for barely a dozen games, but I think he'll be that element we were missing in Ian Cole.

JJ wasn't that. I think JJ is what we had in Daley/Hainsey, in that he can move the puck, is a borderline dip **** at times, but can be solid when his game is simplified to the point a 1st grader understands the game plan.

Well there's also the difference between how Cole and Gunbranson actually play defense. :D

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The only pattern I don't like, and it was evident in VAN footage as well, is that he just parks in front of the crease.

It is what it is, but, it's a lazy, exploitable move.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The only pattern I don't like, and it was evident in VAN footage as well, is that he just parks in front of the crease.

It is what it is, but, it's a lazy, exploitable move.

Yeah but keeping aholes like Philly players and Tom Wilson from taking runs at Murray..it could help when he's on and in the crease. I don't think we can afford to lose Murray to further injury anymore since trading Gustavsson was ******* dumb imo. If it helps then good

I read a Vancouver fan say that he was good in the aspect of limiting chances from rebounds the goalie makes fwiw.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not sure what #5-6 D men are putting up 28 point paces, but sure.

Pettersson has been an incredible find for us.

I guess this is the same board / fan base that skewers Letang every time he gives away a puck or makes a bad read tho..

I think its kinda fair to call Pettersson a 5/6 when those are the minutes and responsibilities he's been taking with us (more 5 than 6 though, as we ride our 3rd pairing hard, maybe even 4/5).

But as you point out, his production far exceeds that title. That's because he's usually been the sole guy who moves the puck well and jumps into the play well on his pairing. In terms of the defence pairing's attacking responsibilities and transition, he has been carrying his partners. While usually being a better defensive player too...

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016

JJ wasn't that. I think JJ is what we had in Daley/Hainsey, in that he can move the puck, is a borderline dip **** at times, but can be solid when his game is simplified to the point a 1st grader understands the game plan.
Fully agree with everything stated.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018

Agree but a solid 5/6 for 4M I might take a pass on that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The legend of Trevor Daley I see has rivaled Ian Cole.

Nah you just compared two player's skillsets that are extremely different. Daley and Gudbranson are nothing alike. Doesn't mean Gudbranson can't be valuable here, I just have no idea why you compared them. What are we missing?

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad