HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I wish Pouliot would smarten up, Gudbranson has been struggling on that pairing. Remember the days when Sami Salo was on the third pairing? Gudbranson would look good on a pairing like that.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
I wish Pouliot would smarten up, Gudbranson has been struggling on that pairing. Remember the days when Sami Salo was on the third pairing? Gudbranson would look good on a pairing like that.
Gudbranson has struggled with every pairing......maybe he's just bad.

Reactions: Pavel96

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
If Guddy ever gets a D partner with confidence and offensive flair, and he improves on his consistency, watch out.. he would easily become a top 4 to top pairing level defender. Henrik Sedin would look bad too if didn’t have anyone to pass to that could score. Chemistry matters.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Pouliot's not going to smarten up. Gudbranson's not going to smarten up. They're both just bad at what they do, and the more years you stick with them the more time you waste.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Guddy ever gets a D partner with confidence and offensive flair, and he improves on his consistency, watch out.. he would easily become a top 4 to top pairing level defender. Henrik Sedin would look bad too if didn’t have anyone to pass to that could score. Chemistry matters.

Gudbranson has been in the NHL for 8 years and has been a complete bag of suck for 7 1/2 of them with a multitude of different partners, all of whom miraculously played better with anyone else not named Gudbranson.

He’s had one short decent stretch in his career where his sorry ass was being carried by a top-15 defender in the league in Brian Campbell.

If the only time you don’t look like an AHLer is when you’re paired with an All-Star ... you’re an AHLer.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Actually what matters is skill...something Gudbranson is sadly lacking.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

I think Gudbranson would look good if he was born 20 years earlier. Then he would of played in the clutch and grab era

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Gudbranson is consistent. He is consistantly bad.

He will NEVER easily become a top 4 defenseman. Gudbranson is not even NHL quality.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This thread is an awesome indicator of posters willingness to lie / lack of ability to assess hockey players.

Managing your ignore list has never been as easy.
Other posters who disagree with me are just lying/dumb assessors of hockey talent....Its so convenient to have a function where I dont have to deal with "these people'

Is that what you're saying?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hey guys let’s head out these flat earthers you can’t just dismiss their opinions

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
You know how you talk about how a player is a detriment to a team?

Well, in the fancy stat world, over the last two seasons, Gud is actually a detriment to this team.

I'm not sure why but I had the hankering to look at some Corsica.hockey today and while looking at the Canucks defense, a statistic caught my eye and that was GS or Game Score.

What's GS? GS is a way to measure how effective a player is at affecting the final score of a game. It's a complicated formula that'll make your eyes glaze over but if you're so inclined, you can read more about GS here.

Player Game Score = (0.75 * G) + (0.7 * A1) + (0.55 * A2) + (0.075 * SOG) + (0.05 * BLK) + (0.15 * PD) – (0.15 * PT) + (0.01 * FOW) – (0.01 * FOL) + (0.05 * CF) – (0.05 * CA) + (0.15 * GF) – (0.15* GA)

The author acknowledges that GS is skewed toward offensive players which makes it a not-as-useful-as-it-could-be tool for judging d-men.

So Gud has a -2 GS this season so what does this mean relative to the rest of the league?

Below is a chart showing bottom 10 in GS and top 10 in GS.

0KAKIBt.png

From a fancy stat perspective, Gud has been the worse d-man in the league for the last two seasons and is actively detrimental to us winning games. His horrid CF% combined with his horrid GF% has dropped him into negative territory from a GS perspective.

A true tank captain if you will.

If there was an anti-Hart trophy, Gud would be nominated for it.

Worse than Sbisa and worse than Bartkowski.

Jimbo sure knows how to pick 'em!

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah, this is just a god awful pairing that is painful to watch. The worst is that when they out with Petterson's line - just a black hole of support. Meanwhile I see Stecher out there with Sutter and Beagle still pushing the play.

As much as I do like Gudbranson's ability to (sometimes) stick up for teammates, his inability to make plays far supersedes any usefulness to the team's success.

If he has any value around the league we should take it by the TDL.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Other posters who disagree with me are just lying/dumb assessors of hockey talent....Its so convenient to have a function where I dont have to deal with "these people'

Is that what you're saying?

Well let's see what the argument being made is. One person is arguing that if Gudbranson plays with a legitimate top-pairing defenseman, only then would Gudbranson be capable of playing on a top-2 pairing. Therefore, Gudbranson has top-4 potential and deserves to stay on the team.

Think about how dumb that sounds.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
J.D. Burke of The Athletic on TSN 1040 saying you can make a strong case that Gudbranson is the worst d-man in the entire NHL, based on analytics. Biega is more physical, skates far better and commits far fewer brain cramps in his own zone, yet sits game after game.

I'm of the view that it's a case of the coach having the GM's back. After all, Jimbo against all that passes for talent assessment and common sense, re-upped the guy for another three years at $4m per. Can't sit a contract like that in the press-box and replace him with a journeyman like Biega making not more more than the league minimum.

Canucks need to blow up their right side--trading Tanev who still has some real asset value and unloading Gudbranson on any team desperate for some blueline depth entering the playoffs. They need to sign Hughes, get some young d-men back via the trade route, elevate the best d-man from Utica and then just grow with them.

Surely you could live with the mistakes they'd make when Gudberanson and Pouliot commit the same gaffes night after night anyway.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad