HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
This guy gets blazed night in and night out. 22 GF 43 GA.
To his supporters, I have to ask. How do you justify this? Do you just ignore the fact the team gets outscored 2-1 when he is on the ice? How do you even justify him as a NHL player?

Sure a valid question to ask his supporters, but what about the coaches and management. Why isn't anyone asking them those questions? Thats the part that most baffling to me.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Canucks sign Erik Gudbranson to 3-year extension - Sportsnet.ca

Green said Gudbranson, who is called Guddy by his teammates, is a physical player who makes life difficult for opponents.
"I don’t think skill players enjoy playing against him," said the Canucks’ rookie coach.

"Stuff like that gets me going. It excites me making guys’ nights miserable. I have been able to do that, and I feel comfortable out there." - Erik Gudbranson.

Reactions: dim jim

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Gudbranson's days are numbered. Another 14 minute game stuck with Pouliot on the 3rd pairing while Stecher is thriving with Hutton on the 2nd pairing.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I think Green would fit in seemlessly if the WH press secretary job ever becomes vacant again.

To be fair, I'm sure some skill players really do hate being on the ice with Gudbranson

f0d7b2f015.png

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Is Gudbranson that bad

havent watched much canucks games

cant be worse than Luke Schenn or Dion Phaneuf?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Is Gudbranson that bad

Oh boy... Trust me he can.

His reputation is night and day different from his actual play. A casual fan wont notice anyhting else but the occasional big hit or the meaningless fight (that never is about defending team mates). Truth is he hits as often as Edler and fights 2-3 times a year. Loses most of the puck battles along the boards. Routinely misses his assignment in front of the net. Cannot move the puck at all. And talks shit about his team mates to the media.

Every time the Nucks are hemmed in their own end for an extended period you can be sure 44 is on the ice for that.

All that would be easier to swallow if he was deployed as the 7th D man he is or if he wasnt paid as much as Roman Josi.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Is Gudbranson that bad

I'm not sure. I think he can have the occasional game where he plays like he (just barely) belongs in the NHL. I thought of him as a #6 guy on good nights but should be a #7. Then someone said he's the worst, I said Pouliot is worse, and he said no. I decided to think about it because, as we all know here, I'm a high IQ deep thinking kinda guy... Well educated. Totally graduated. Watch out intellectual lightweights, the big dawg is here.

I started to wonder if Pouliot is just "loud" bad while Gudbranson is quietly bad. Like I think low-event players are super underrated and you could load up a bottom line/bottom pairing with real solid guys on the cheap that will eat up tough minutes and not get chewed up. Gaunce is an example of this, Tanev used to be completely underrated as well for the same reason. The thing is Pouliot is a turnover machine, he feeds the other team's forwards in the slot from behind the net like we're watching prime Henrik.

Then I thought about the whole Sutter vs Bonino thing. Sutter was "better" defensively, but Bonino just had the puck more in the offensive zone because, you know, he was able to gain possession. Gudbranson does not get the puck, when he does he either 1. Ices it. 2. loses it 3.it goes to Hutton to get it out

Pouliot might actually do better than Gudbranson if he wasn't used as a guy to lead the breakout. I cannot imagine Gudbranson in that role, it's a pretty dark place.

It's like comparing rotten apples to rotten oranges.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017

FAKE NEWS !!!
He says Gudbranson was taken off the puck rather easily, which is misleading. He dropped his stick went to pick it up and Yamamoto slew footed Sutter. Yea, what a beast. Did anyone actually watch the clip because it's a nothing play. He then goes on to say Gudbranson was batting 1,000 zone exits and then follows it up with a bunch of stat mumbo jumbo no one understands or cares about. Clearly a tweet constructed to disparage in any way he could the fact that the zone exits were 100%. Clearly a stat he's been watching and indignantly reacted when he was batting 1000.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
FAKE NEWS !!!
He says Gudbranson was taken off the puck rather easily, which is misleading. He dropped his stick went to pick it up and Yamamoto slew footed Sutter. Yea, what a beast. Did anyone actually watch the clip because it's a nothing play. He then goes on to say Gudbranson was batting 1,000 zone exits and then follows it up with a bunch of stat mumbo jumbo no one understands or cares about. Clearly a tweet constructed to disparage in any way he could the fact that the zone exits were 100%. Clearly a stat he's been watching and indignantly reacted when he was batting 1000.

First of all Gudbranson looks ridiculously bad on this one. Dropping is stick is issue number one, leaving Yamamoto alone to pick it up is number two. This isnt even to mention that he should never get into a situation like this where he loses a board battle against a guy half his size.

Secondly, it is Nugent Hopkins who slew footed Sutter. Seems you didnt even watch the clip yourself after complaining about others not doing it.

Number 3 I better not say to avoid an infraction but to put it nicely, you surely could have put a bit more thought into your post.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
First of all Gudbranson looks ridiculously bad on this one. Dropping is stick is issue number one, leaving Yamamoto alone to pick it up is number two. This isnt even to mention that he should never get into a situation like this where he loses a board battle against a guy half his size.

Secondly, it is Nugent Hopkins who slew footed Sutter. Seems you didnt even watch the clip yourself after complaining about others not doing it.

Number 3 I better not say to avoid an infraction but to put it nicely, you surely could have put a bit more thought into your post.

Did you notice who you are replying to?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I admit Gudbranson has had some awful games, he's not as bad as people make out on here though.

He has stepped up the physical play, which makes up for the bad defensive play. A lot of people here were ripping him for letting Martel skate by and Virtanen went at him. If you actually watched that clip you'd see that Gudbranson went to the puck and had no idea who was behind him. He was looking at the puck after the icing, watch the clip.

I guess you see what you want to see, like 153 pound Yamamoto beast mode-ing and rag dollying Gudbranson.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I admit Gudbranson has had some awful games, he's not as bad as people make out on here though.

He has stepped up the physical play, which makes up for the bad defensive play. A lot of people here were ripping him for letting Martel skate by and Virtanen went at him. If you actually watched that clip you'd see that Gudbranson went to the puck and had no idea who was behind him. He was looking at the puck after the icing, watch the clip.

I guess you see what you want to see, like 153 pound Yamamoto beast mode-ing and rag dollying Gudbranson.

Gudbranson gets beat in front of his own net for goals all the time. He sucks. He's soft. He's garbage. He can't pass. He gets bullied by guys half his size. He has no IQ. He's always stuck watching the play in front of his net while losing his man. He's an old-school type player who has been left in the dust of the new NHL. He can't process jack-shit, even if the game was going at half the speed. He's the worst defensemen in the league.

Watch the f***ing games. There's too much evidence to bring up, that would make you never open this thread again for the next 3 weeks because you'll be put in your place. We all know what you're doing, so just stop before you get shown the facts, again.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Not like we haven't seen it time and time again. Tavares easily outmuscled Gudbranson in front of the net which I remember vividly. But I suppose there's an excuse for that as well?

He's not an NHL player. He has stretches of 5 horrific games, followed by maybe 2 games where he acquits himself adequately as a 6th defenceman. He's hot garbage and I will be ecstatic when he get rid of him.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It sort of baffles me that we can't even get agreement on Gudbranson being a terrible D-man on this board. There isn't a stat in the world that suggests he is at all good at his position.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It sort of baffles me that we can't even get agreement on Gudbranson being a terrible D-man on this board. There isn't a stat in the world that suggests he is at all good at his position.

It’s astonishing, to be quite honest. How can you watch Gudbranson get beat in front of his own net for goals against and not even realize it? The ones who think he is a serviceable defensemen are obviously trolling because you don’t even need experience in playing hockey to know how useless he is.

I really wish I was able to clip all the times he has been beaten in front of his own net but I’m not the most experienced at doing that. I may even just go through the games and note which goals he’s been constantly beat on - then I can use that as a guide to show how bad he is until this buffoon is off this roster.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
It’s astonishing, to be quite honest. How can you watch Gudbranson get beat in front of his own net for goals against and not even realize it? The ones who think he is a serviceable defensemen are obviously trolling because you don’t even need experience in playing hockey to know how useless he is.

I really wish I was able to clip all the times he has been beaten in front of his own net but I’m not the most experienced at doing that. I may even just go through the games and note which goals he’s been constantly beat on - then I can use that as a guide to show how bad he is until this buffoon is off this roster.
Does Don Cherry have enough hockey experience for you? He said Gudbranson is worth his weight in gold and mentioned him twice on coach corner this season alone. I know he was beat a few times in front of the net, that'll happen to a young D. His game is still rounding out and those things will get ironed out of his game. Don't fret. Believe. Canucks are in playoff position near the end of January, enjoy it. Or don't, i really don't care if you hate JB,Gudbranson and the rest of the Canucks. I'll be enjoying the playoffs if not this year, then next.Alot of posters here pretty much remove themselves from enjoying any success the team will have because they would then have to admit JB was successful. They would rather tank,have a high draft pick and JB get fired than win any games. Then they single players out for bad play while the Canucks are winning. It makes no sense. If you want the Canucks to tank and JB get fired, why are you so mad?

Reactions: Zippgunn

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Losing net front battles and board battles aren't even the real problem with him. The problem is his inability to pass out of the zone even when he has complete control and nobody is pressuring. This COMPLETELY destroys any and all flow by the team and negatively affects every other player on the ice. It increases the risk of injuries because the team has to defend more and take way more punishment.

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad