HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
J.D. Burke of The Athletic on TSN 1040 saying you can make a strong case that Gudbranson is the worst d-man in the entire NHL, based on analytics. Biega is more physical, skates far better and commits far fewer brain cramps in his own zone, yet sits game after game.

I'm of the view that it's a case of the coach having the GM's back. After all, Jimbo against all that passes for talent assessment and common sense, re-upped the guy for another three years at $4m per. Can't sit a contract like that in the press-box and replace him with a journeyman like Biega making not more more than the league minimum.

Canucks need to blow up their right side--trading Tanev who still has some real asset value and unloading Gudbranson on any team desperate for some blueline depth entering the playoffs. They need to sign Hughes, get some young d-men back via the trade route, elevate the best d-man from Utica and then just grow with them.

Surely you could live with the mistakes they'd make when Gudberanson and Pouliot commit the same gaffes night after night anyway.

As bad as Gudbranson is, Pouliot is even worse.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Pouliot is the most *observably bad* in that a 12 year old who just started watching can see the gaffes he's made, whereas Gudbranson makes more mistakes that are more subtle (while he makes plenty of glaring miscues as well.)

But these two players have played together a lot, and Pouliot is a +1 while Gudbranson is a team-worst -20 in the same amount of games. That is some pretty insane results if he's a better player.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
As much as I do like Gudbranson's ability to (sometimes) stick up for teammates, his inability to make plays far supersedes any usefulness to the team's success.

Can you give an actual example of this ever happening?

Probably just the ones who are either not arguing in good faith and/or are clearly idiots.

You are correct.

Talking with the former is toxic. Those people everyone should want to cut out of their life. Talking with idiots is fine with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis scott

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
As bad as Pouliot is, Gudbranson is worse.

At least Pouliot causes the play to not be in his own zone sometimes. Gudbranson is probably the worst player in the NHL.

Pouliot was a 7th defenceman before he got here and is no better than a 7th defenceman now so no real big surprise...or contract.

Gubrandson cost more in assets and was signed for 3 years at 4 million. Much worse problem as well.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Pouliot was a 7th defenceman before he got here and is no better than a 7th defenceman now so no real big surprise...or contract.

Gubrandson cost more in assets and was signed for 3 years at 4 million. Much worse problem as well.

Also BOTH of them were top 10 draft picks (hello! team tank)...

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm not a stats nerd, etc., but not surprised by what JD Burke said. Gudbranson shows up at the bottom of basically every comparable analytics sheet I've seen under most categories. Not to mention he's blatantly bad and doesn't even pass the eye test.

If management can get any sort of return for him it would be a total no-brainer to get rid of the guy. He is basically not NHL quality.

Reactions: Pavel96

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

The Florida/Matheson example qualifies - Matheson hid all night and Haley had to fight for him - and other opponents around the league noticed (like Domi). That it happened during their next meeting doesn't disqualify it to me because in a tight game there are other factors. That's not to say Gudbranson is an effective deterrent. Nor would I say he gives the team a confidence boost, though he seems to be well-liked. We just don't know that sort of information because we aren't in the room (well at least I don't).

What we do know is that he's an exceedingly poor hockey player.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

You are correct.

Talking with the former is toxic. Those people everyone should want to cut out of their life. Talking with idiots is fine with me.

Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes:

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is clearly unarmed.

Target practice, on the other hand . . .

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
That it happened during their next meeting doesn't disqualify it to me because in a tight game there are other factors. That's not to say Gudbranson is an effective deterrent. Nor would I say he gives the team a confidence boost, though he seems to be well-liked. We just don't know that sort of information because we aren't in the room (well at least

I feel that matheson instance is a joke all around, matheson is a joke for not fighting and the team is a joke for going after him because as they said the 2 points were more valuable in the game pete got injured. But suddenly in Jan the points aren’t worth the same. It was them responding to the media/fan backlash

lawrence

May 19, 2012
But but but so many Benning Bro's said he was a steal for a 4th round pick. What happened?

oh cmon a man, a comment like this is not necessary. A lot of us already hate Pouliout. Things change. It's like me asking where are all those Benning bashers that didn't want Elias Pettersson and wanted Gabriel Vilardi.

childish as usual.

Reactions: Zippgunn

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
oh cmon a man, a comment like this is not necessary. A lot of us already hate Pouliout. Things change. It's like me asking where are all those Benning bashers that didn't want Elias Pettersson and wanted Gabriel Vilardi.

childish as usual.

As if we were supposed to see into the future and know that Vilardi would suffer a catastrophic back injury...that's not the same thing as recognizing Pouliot was a bust so giving a pick for him was a bad move. Funny how the Benning Bro's who all say "give him time and let's see what he does in a Canucks uniform" just can't admit that they were wrong and those of us who either follow more than just the Canucks or understand analytics were right all along. To me, that's what's childish.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As if we were supposed to see into the future and know that Vilardi would suffer a catastrophic back injury...that's not the same thing as recognizing Pouliot was a bust so giving a pick for him was a bad move. Funny how the Benning Bro's who all say "give him time and let's see what he does in a Canucks uniform" just can't admit that they were wrong and those of us who either follow more than just the Canucks or understand analytics were right all along. To me, that's what's childish.

as we were supposed to see into the future and know that Juolevi will get into a knee injury like this? Benning Bashers have been trashing him for his injury now. We did give him time, and a lot of us have already trashed Pouliout a good one including myself. What is the issue here? gosh.

like what do you want them to do? say

" I am wrong about the Pouliout trade. ?" like that?

are you actually asking all Canucks fans who defended some of Bennings trades to come out and actually admit they were wrong?

can I ask all Canuck fans that wanted Cody Glass, and Brandon Carlo to admit they were wrong? can I ask that?
f*** sakes.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I feel that matheson instance is a joke all around, matheson is a joke for not fighting and the team is a joke for going after him because as they said the 2 points were more valuable in the game pete got injured. But suddenly in Jan the points aren’t worth the same. It was them responding to the media/fan backlash

I felt bad for the kid at the end of it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
as we were supposed to see into the future and know that Juolevi will get into a knee injury like this? Benning Bashers have been trashing him for his injury now. We did give him time, and a lot of us have already trashed Pouliout a good one including myself. What is the issue here? gosh.

like what do you want them to do? say

" I am wrong about the Pouliout trade. ?" like that?

are you actually asking all Canucks fans who defended some of Bennings trades to come out and actually admit they were wrong?

can I ask all Canuck fans that wanted Cody Glass, and Brandon Carlo to admit they were wrong? can I ask that?
**** sakes.

Except he wasn't developing well prior to the knee injury. :laugh:

Canuck fans actually wanted Brandon Carlo in 2015? I recall the narrative was largely against Carlo.

Much like the Gudbranson trade, many of us who are deemed "anti-Benning" didn't like the move, and all of the Benning Bro's were all for the moves. One side has been consistently right, while the other has been consistently wrong. Maybe it's time the Benning Bro's accept the reality that their GM isn't very good?

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Except he wasn't developing well prior to the knee injury. :laugh:

Canuck fans actually wanted Brandon Carlo in 2015? I recall the narrative was largely against Carlo.

Much like the Gudbranson trade, many of us who are deemed "anti-Benning" didn't like the move, and all of the Benning Bro's were all for the moves. One side has been consistently right, while the other has been consistently wrong. Maybe it's time the Benning Bro's accept the reality that their GM isn't very good?

At the time Pouliot was acquired I was ok with taking a gamble in the hopes he would pan out. Obviously, he didn't, but for myself and I think for a lot of others who were ok with his acquisition it had nothing to do with liking Benning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad