HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Except he wasn't developing well prior to the knee injury. :laugh:

this one is a matter of opinion.

Canuck fans actually wanted Brandon Carlo in 2015?
it sure as heck wasn't Boeser.

Much like the Gudbranson trade, many of us who are deemed "anti-Benning" didn't like the move, and all of the Benning Bro's were all for the moves.

yes, this is normal, as the trade is either liked or not. one or the other. McCann is doing too much for Florida, Gudbranson and I will admit, sure has hell isn't doing much for us either.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I remember Travis Konecny's name mentioned a lot prior to the '15 draft. I also remember Carlo's name too but always in a please God Jim don't draft him sort of way.

Reactions: Pip

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
At the time Pouliot was acquired I was ok with taking a gamble in the hopes he would pan out. Obviously, he didn't, but for myself and I think for a lot of others who were ok with his acquisition it had nothing to do with liking Benning.

Except the people who were okay with it were almost unanimously people who praise Benning for almost everything he does.

Most of us recognize that Benning loves throwing away draft picks for garbage, and also understood that Pouliot was a bust so it was a bad trade, and we were proven right.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
this one is a matter of opinion.

An opinion that's apparently shared by a lot of people in the NHL as well, as reported by Botchford.

it sure as heck wasn't Boeser.

I don't think you're remembering correctly. From my memory, and from my own preference, it was between Konecny and Boeser, with some also having interest in Nick Merkley.

yes, this is normal, as the trade is either liked or not. one or the other. McCann is doing too much for Florida, Gudbranson and I will admit, sure has hell isn't doing much for us either.

Jared McCann is playing as good as, if not better, than Jake Virtanen, who a lot of Benning Bro's love to claim as some huge success.

Gudbranson has been trash, pure trash. I remember people saying I was a walking hyperbole when I referred to him as a right handed Sbisa, and called him a bottom pair defenseman. I was proven right. Though I think based on what we have seen I may have been a bit lenient. I wouldn't call Gudbranson an NHL defenseman at this point. If Luke Schenn isn't good enough for the NHL anymore, then Erik Gudbranson certainly shouldn't be. And yet he's making $4M per year. :laugh:

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Except the people who were okay with it were almost unanimously people who praise Benning for almost everything he does.

Most of us recognize that Benning loves throwing away draft picks for garbage, and also understood that Pouliot was a bust so it was a bad trade, and we were proven right.

Eh, I think Benning is terrible and needs to go, but I didn't see the trade at the time as egregious. I'd wager most of the posters on this forum are critical of Benning, and it's a small minority who think he's doing a good job.

member 290103

An opinion that's apparently shared by a lot of people in the NHL as well, as reported by Botchford.

I don't think you're remembering correctly. From my memory, and from my own preference, it was between Konecny and Boeser, with some also having interest in Nick Merkley.

Jared McCann is playing as good as, if not better, than Jake Virtanen, who a lot of Benning Bro's love to claim as some huge success.

Gudbranson has been trash, pure trash. I remember people saying I was a walking hyperbole when I referred to him as a right handed Sbisa, and called him a bottom pair defenseman. I was proven right. Though I think based on what we have seen I may have been a bit lenient. I wouldn't call Gudbranson an NHL defenseman at this point. If Luke Schenn isn't good enough for the NHL anymore, then Erik Gudbranson certainly shouldn't be. And yet he's making $4M per year. :laugh:

JD Burke was on a Halford and Brough..said a Gudbranson was as easily the worst defenseman in the NHL.

Great job on that pro scout, Dim! Don’t worry, it’s ok to bleed assets and add bad players forever because well, Pettersson.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

LOL. I don't agree with people thinking he's a top 6 forward right now.

Gudbranson has been trash, pure trash. I

I will Kindly admit, I was ok with the trade at the time, but he is indeed just that. Pure Trash.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Unfortunately not true.

There is this thing called being objective. You shoukd try it. Its a ****in relief not having to spin everything to fit your preconceived notions.

What? Stating he wasn't developing well is not any sort of objective fact. Definitely had some glaring defensive issues but the top rookie AHL defenceman in terms of scoring and had great zone exits.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Are you actually making this point? Not being sarcastic?

My point is that we currently have five top 10 draft picks on our roster and three of them have not lived up to their draft position, indeed two of them have been complete disasters. Tanking just to draft in the top 10 is stupid and that has been proven quite emphatically by the Oilers. Never mind that no pro hockey player worth his salt would buy into a tank...

Reactions: Momesso

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
My point is that we currently have five top 10 draft picks on our roster and three of them have not lived up to their draft position, indeed two of them have been complete disasters. Tanking just to draft in the top 10 is stupid and that has been proven quite emphatically by the Oilers. Never mind that no pro hockey player worth his salt would buy into a tank...

Yeah this is a good point. Tank time is over.

You do that when you have an old core, now that we have a new one the message has to be clear and the focus has to be solely on developing pro habits and a mindset towards winning.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
You are missing the point...mgmt determines whether we are in tank mode.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
What is Gudbranson's value in the league? I know many people here think he is trash but I've heard rumours about other teams wanting him. What do you think we can get for him realistically?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
What is Gudbranson's value in the league? I know many people here think he is trash but I've heard rumours about other teams wanting him. What do you think we can get for him realistically?

Wasn't there an offer of 1st+Dano from Chicago for an aging Hamhuis rental? I would have to think Gudbranson for 2 years has that kind of value to dummies

I'd say 1st +. It's crazy, I know, but just because we would never pay anything remotely close to it doesn't mean there aren't others who will.

But then you have to consider that the teams that value him suspiciously have significantly more valuable 1st round picks than the rest of the teams, so maybe not.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Wasn't there an offer of 1st+Dano from Chicago for an aging Hamhuis rental? I would have to think Gudbranson for 2 years has that kind of value to dummies

I'd say 1st +. It's crazy, I know, but just because we would never pay anything remotely close to it doesn't mean there aren't others who will.

But then you have to consider that the teams that value him suspiciously have significantly more valuable 1st round picks than the rest of the teams, so maybe not.

Hold on a second; I thought JB was "the worst GM in the NHL" (according to many here). Such a trade flies in the face of such talk. If Guddy REALLY is worth anywhere near what many here are suggesting that tells me that we have a somewhat valuable player/asset who is being very poorly utilized by our coaching staff. If indeed there are teams inquiring about him (and offering actual usable assets for him) then he can't be "the worst defenceman in the NHL" because such a player would have no value whatsoever. He's either terrible (and therefore worthless and JB is a complete idiot) or he's worth something of value (in which case TG is unable to maximize his usefullness and is therefore a lousy coach). You can't have it both ways.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Matthews
Marner
Kadri
Reilly
Marleau

5 top 10 picks on the leafs and they seem to be doing fine

Ehlers
Laine
Schlieffe
Trouba
Wheeler

5 top 10 picks on the jets and they seem to be doing fine

So is it that drafting in the top 10 is useless or the oilers management is useless?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Matthews
Marner
Kadri
Reilly
Marleau

5 top 10 picks on the leafs and they seem to be doing fine

Ehlers
Laine
Schlieffe
Trouba
Wheeler

5 top 10 picks on the jets and they seem to be doing fine

So is it that drafting in the top 10 is useless or the oilers management is useless?

It's certainly not USELESS but it's no guarantee of success. None of these teams has come close to a Cup yet and it doesn't look like any of them will do so in the foreseeable future...

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Hold on a second; I thought JB was "the worst GM in the NHL" (according to many here). Such a trade flies in the face of such talk. If Guddy REALLY is worth anywhere near what many here are suggesting that tells me that we have a somewhat valuable player/asset who is being very poorly utilized by our coaching staff. If indeed there are teams inquiring about him (and offering actual usable assets for him) then he can't be "the worst defenceman in the NHL" because such a player would have no value whatsoever. He's either terrible (and therefore worthless and JB is a complete idiot) or he's worth something of value (in which case TG is unable to maximize his usefullness and is therefore a lousy coach). You can't have it both ways.

Griffin Reinhart got a first. Players can both be terrible and have value to dinosaur GMs like the one currently employed by the Canucks.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Jake Muzzin- 4 mil cap hit, toronto gave up prospects and their 1st round pick.

Erik Gudbrnason, 4 mil cap hit, toronto laughs at the idea of him as their 6th dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->