HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks Army reporting that the Gudbrenson-Hutton pairing have been on the ice for most goals against than any defensive tandem in the league. And also among the league leaders in surrendering SOG and defensive zone time. Knew they were bad, but not that bad.

Thank God Green finally broke 'em up. Hutton actually plays a little better when he's paired with Stecher, Tanev or any other decent d-man, and that includes Biega.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Gudbranson had a season low 13.51 ice time today on the 3rd pairing. Lowest total out of all D today. Let's keep it that way

That was probably because he spent 5 minutes in the box after dropping the gloves with the Panthers' goon (which, naturally, everybody here is criticizing; guess if he had declined the invitation everybody here would have cut him slack. As if...). He also had as many hits as all the other d men combined. My question is this: if he's REALLY the worst player ever to play for the Canucks why, oh why does he get so much icetime? Either he isn't as bad as his detractors say or our coach is an idiot. You choose...

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
The last argument a person can make when they run out of excuses is to appeal to authority. But I guess when the person you are defending is such a bad player that you have to do that as there is little to nothing else to grab onto.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
That was probably because he spent 5 minutes in the box after dropping the gloves with the Panthers' goon (which, naturally, everybody here is criticizing; guess if he had declined the invitation everybody here would have cut him slack. As if...). He also had as many hits as all the other d men combined. My question is this: if he's REALLY the worst player ever to play for the Canucks why, oh why does he get so much icetime? Either he isn't as bad as his detractors say or our coach is an idiot. You choose...
Are you saying you want to have players that give up 2 goals for every 1 goal their team scores just because the coach plays them? You want a guy with some of the worst stats, both at face value and the underlying numbers in the whole league, on your top 4? A guy who on nearly 1/4 of his touches results in an icing, penalty, or giveaway? A guy whose d partner's numbers get better by a large amount when he plays away from him? Coaches make mistakes, there's a million examples of that. Doesn't mean the coach is an idiot, it means he's making a poor decision. Looks like he's finally rectifying it.
Hits and grit have their place, it doesn't mean that we should sacrifice winning to get it. He's a 3rd pairing dman who has been playing a 2nd line role he isn't suited for. It's not that there's a slight tilt in the ice when Guddy is out there, he's getting creamed. He is not a top 4 dman and the last 3 years has shown that to anyone willing to look beyond his nice beard and chiselled good looks.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks desperately need toughness and it still time for this guy to go. He needs to be sheltered and this team doesn’t have the horses to be able to do that.

I just don’t think you can get anything for him at this point. I doubt we’ll retain money. Maybe a 4th? 5th? Not sure. Might be one of those things where we take a 4th in the 2020 draft.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Canucks desperately need toughness and it still time for this guy to go. He needs to be sheltered and this team doesn’t have the horses to be able to do that.

I just don’t think you can get anything for him at this point. I doubt we’ll retain money. Maybe a 4th? 5th? Not sure. Might be one of those things where we take a 4th in the 2020 draft.
I wouldnt be surprised if one of the dinosaur gms coughed up as much as a 2nd for him but really he should be seen as an asset with negative value

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

He is not the worst player but he is definitely not a top 4 D. Jb messed up this trade big time. Canucks could of just gave Tryamkin that ice time and resign Hamhuis. Hamhuis as of today is probably number 3 or 4 D behind Tanev and Edler. Maybe Hutton as well. Tryamkin left because of family reasons but I honestly think if Willy gave him the ice time, Tryamkin woild of stay.

I think Gudbranson gets a lot of ice time because the only other player competing for his ice time on the RS is Stecher. Green has never been a fan of Stecher since day 1. Last year Stecher started the season getting 12 to 13 mins, by end of that season when Tanev and Gudbranson were both hurt, Stecher played some solid hockey beside Edler. This season when Tanev and Gudbranson are healthy. Back to the 3rd pairing for Stecher. This year he is 7th in ice time and gets no pp and pk time. No matter what Stecher plays behind Gudbranson.

Also it seem like Green is kind of old school type of coach that prefer stay at home big defensemen.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
What surprises me about him is he’s not very physical. For a monster like him, that is really inexcusable. Maybe its his poor mobility that limits him, or he’s scared of being walked.

Mad props to him though for going against Haley. Haley is one of the toughest hombres in the league no doubt. It kind of redeemed him a bit, but he really doesn’t play with a mean edge enough. He’s like Mr. Nice guy which we have too many of on D already.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldnt be surprised if one of the dinosaur gms coughed up as much as a 2nd for him but really he should be seen as an asset with negative value
I mean I’ll lead the car parade to the airport if that happens. I doubt it but I guess there is a chance. I think the main problem is we can’t hide the guy to pump his tires...

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
The coach is an idiot I guess. He gets the ice time because of what was given up for him in a trade and now to justify his contract (with the hopes that he eventually will become a player worthy of the assets and contract). Was it a coincidence that right when they signed his extension he all of a sudden got to play with edler and showcase himself in the top 4? It was if the canucks had "proven" he was a top 4 d so it justified what they just spent for the next three years on him. Then, they could shut him down for his yearly surgery.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Yes his ice-time is baffling. I don't mind Green as a coach, and to be fair the team's record is certainly better than I expected. But the ice-time given to Gudbranson and to a lesser extend Granlund is bizarre.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Are you saying you want to have players that give up 2 goals for every 1 goal their team scores just because the coach plays them? You want a guy with some of the worst stats, both at face value and the underlying numbers in the whole league, on your top 4? A guy who on nearly 1/4 of his touches results in an icing, penalty, or giveaway? A guy whose d partner's numbers get better by a large amount when he plays away from him? Coaches make mistakes, there's a million examples of that. Doesn't mean the coach is an idiot, it means he's making a poor decision. Looks like he's finally rectifying it.
Hits and grit have their place, it doesn't mean that we should sacrifice winning to get it. He's a 3rd pairing dman who has been playing a 2nd line role he isn't suited for. It's not that there's a slight tilt in the ice when Guddy is out there, he's getting creamed. He is not a top 4 dman and the last 3 years has shown that to anyone willing to look beyond his nice beard and chiselled good looks.

No I didn't say any of that, you did. If he's a 3rd pairing d man (and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you) then why is he getting 2nd pairing icetime? I wish he was better too but he's nowhere as near as bad as so many here think...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No I didn't say any of that, you did. If he's a 3rd pairing d man (and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you) then why is he getting 2nd pairing icetime? I wish he was better too but he's nowhere as near as bad as so many here think...

He’s every bit as bad.

He plays middling minutes, bleeds goals at an astonishing rate, and is possibly the least-skilled regular defender in the NHL. Has the single worst ratio of GF:GA of any defender in the league over the past 3 years.

This is a really, really bad player who if he couldn’t fight and wasn’t a really handsome #3 overall pick would be in the AHL on merit.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The coach is an idiot I guess. He gets the ice time because of what was given up for him in a trade and now to justify his contract (with the hopes that he eventually will become a player worthy of the assets and contract). Was it a coincidence that right when they signed his extension he all of a sudden got to play with edler and showcase himself in the top 4? It was if the canucks had "proven" he was a top 4 d so it justified what they just spent for the next three years on him. Then, they could shut him down for his yearly surgery.

What you are suggesting is that Green is being pressured by upper management to give him more icetime in order to justify the trade for him and his subsequent contract extension. Green didn't trade for him or re-sign him, Benning did and Green's job is to win games. If he doesn't feel that Guddy can help him win games he shouldn't be playing him. But he does and often in key situations.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver

Sunk cost, big contract, GM's trade result, injuries, trying to get him to develop into something better, Stecher not having trust of coach (which is Green's biggest error in judgment imo), probably more.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
What you are suggesting is that Green is being pressured by upper management to give him more icetime in order to justify the trade for him and his subsequent contract extension. Green didn't trade for him or re-sign him, Benning did and Green's job is to win games. If he doesn't feel that Guddy can help him win games he shouldn't be playing him. But he does and often in key situations.
You'd be naive to think that Benning doesn't have sway with the coach he hired. The Canucks haven't been winning the entire time Gudbranson has been on the team so maybe demoting him can help in that regard.
Alain Vigneault thought Tanner Glass was a superstar, doesn't mean he was right.

Green just demoted Gudbranson to the third pairing so if you trust in his decision above all else, he just came to the same conclusion the rest of us had come to earlier.

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
Golly gee, it only took him a year and a half to figure out the Gudbranson/Hutton pairing was crap. Real hockey genius right there.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I dont get the feeling Green is influenced by Benning on his roster decisions much.

I think they discuss where they see players fitting in and maybe this is where the Gudbranson Hutton pairing got more legs than it should have. They probably gave him some leeway after being injured in seasons past but hopefully that is a thing of the past.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Florida media creating a (tweet) storm of how trading Gudbranson made the team lose its identity.

Please trade for him Tallon

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

Florida media creating a (tweet) storm of how trading Gudbranson made the team lose its identity.

The diatribe makes him look kind of dumb (what did the “Computer Boys” even actually get wrong? Anything?), but having Canuck fans repeatedly restate the point that he specifically says he is not making (that Gudbranson is super-good or would have lifted the team to respectability if he stayed) makes our fanbase look just as dumb.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
man... don't make me read that much about the florida panthers. I hope the next panthers-related "tweetstorm" I click on is describing the rules for the dispersal draft after theyre contracted

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Why would we make the same mistake they did? You think we’re as hard to play against without Gudbranson? That’s our identity now whether we like it or not, it’s battling and hard work and being hard to play against. Can’t go against that or risk losing our identity.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Canucks Army reporting that the Gudbrenson-Hutton pairing have been on the ice for most goals against than any defensive tandem in the league. And also among the league leaders in surrendering SOG and defensive zone time. Knew they were bad, but not that bad.

Thank God Green finally broke 'em up. Hutton actually plays a little better when he's paired with Stecher, Tanev or any other decent d-man, and that includes Biega.

Yeah. A little better. Also known as our 3rd best D man.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yeah. A little better. Also known as our 3rd best D man.
Which is pretty sad in that means our 4th best D on the team is only there by default since no other Gillis/Nonis defenders are left on the team. Hamhuis (another guy he inherited but kicked to the curb while getting nothing for him) would be the 4th best D if was re-signed. Benning might himself be better than most of the garbage he acquired on D if he laced up the skates and played.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

The diatribe makes him look kind of dumb (what did the “Computer Boys” even actually get wrong? Anything?), but having Canuck fans repeatedly restate the point that he specifically says he is not making (that Gudbranson is super-good or would have lifted the team to respectability if he stayed) makes our fanbase look just as dumb.

lmao listen NERDS, what your fancy little machines don't tell you is that in the real world you just have to go with your gut. maybe all those years behind that screen going clickity-clack on those keyboards made you resent big tough guys like Gudbranson getting girls but the fact is he is a real good player and that he is the kind of guy you WIN with. not that you LOSERS would know anything about winning! hah!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad