HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In trader Jim we trust.

<communistflagfeaturingJimbo’sface>
You know if Jimbo has just admitted the Gudbranson trade was mistake and then let him walk as a UFA this off-season, you could resign yourself to it and move on. But by re-upping him to a $4m a year contract for three more years, he just doubled down on the original mistake.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Who cares McCann is a liability, god forbid he ever plays center for us in a bottom 6 role, look at what Florida fans are saying about him! He’s playing himself off a terrible Florida team!. He’s got no grit no toughness and question marks on his character. He would be immediately benched by Travis Green and rightfully so!

So what was worse than, drafting a player as bad as McCann, or trading him with a second round pick for a "defensive" defensemen with a team leading -20?

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
You know if Jimbo has just admitted the Gudbranson trade was mistake and then let him walk as a UFA this off-season, you could resign yourself to it and move on. But by re-upping him to a $4m a year contract for three more years, he just doubled down on the original mistake.

Sure but Bennings not really been accountable for any of his actions so its in HIS best interest to sign him. You saw that IMac quote hes literally supporting Bennings actions. Gudbranson is a 4mill 6th defence-man at best, yet apart from a small vocal minority on HF-boards and some peeps on twitter nobody else is questioning why Gudbranson hasn't sat for a game yet. The guy is -5 in the Toronto game and he gets 20 minutes of ice the next game and looks pretty bad with his -2. At some point you expect people to notice but I think apathy has set in. Benning is benefiting from the apathy.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sure but Bennings not really been accountable for any of his actions so its in HIS best interest to sign him. You saw that IMac quote hes literally supporting Bennings actions. Gudbranson is a 4mill 6th defence-man at best, yet apart from a small vocal minority on HF-boards and some peeps on twitter nobody else is questioning why Gudbranson hasn't sat for a game yet. The guy is -5 in the Toronto game and he gets 20 minutes of ice the next game and looks pretty bad with his -2. At some point you expect people to notice but I think apathy has set in. Benning is benefiting from the apathy.
Tsn podcast that someone posted here noticed.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Who cares McCann is a liability, god forbid he ever plays center for us in a bottom 6 role, look at what Florida fans are saying about him! He’s playing himself off a terrible Florida team!. He’s got no grit no toughness and question marks on his character. He would be immediately benched by Travis Green and rightfully so!

Bae, goldobin, granlund, eriksson have no grit and toughness but seem to be getting ice time.

Jake has question marks about his character as well but has ice time so your points are flawed.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
“He really isn’t”

You saying Virtanen isn’t good defensively / without the puck or McCann is?

Also Wing is the more important position to add to on a team with EP40 Bo Sutter and Beagle but nice try
Ehhh Center is a more important position than wing, you can get by with decent wingers if you got good centers. I said nothing about defense I said that McCann scored at a higher pace.

Pay attention to the post you are quoting
[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Well at least Benning isn't a good enough scout to draft Pastrnak to trade or RMB's head would start smoking trying to figure out how to convince people he thinks it was a good trade

It must be true if Botchford said it.

?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My thoughts on Guds hasn’t changed much over the past three months. He has lots of warts, but has some unique skill sets that extend beyond advanced analytics that are important to a team.

Given how anemic our right side D is and was, extending Gudbranson was a necessary evil unfortunately. The Canucks really couldn’t afford to let Guds walk, which just goes to show how pathetic our right side D was (I won’t go into a Mike Gillis tirade here as it’s not the right thread for that).

However - if any of Woo, Chatfield, etc., step up over the next few years and earn a roster spot, guys like Gudbranson will be gone.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
This team would honestly be better off if you took gudbranson out of the lineup and replaced him with nobody. Just 5 dmen and 1 less contract. Replacing Jimbo with a potato would also help.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
My thoughts on Guds hasn’t changed much over the past three months. He has lots of warts, but has some unique skill sets that extend beyond advanced analytics that are important to a team.

Given how anemic our right side D is and was, extending Gudbranson was a necessary evil unfortunately. The Canucks really couldn’t afford to let Guds walk, which just goes to show how pathetic our right side D was (I won’t go into a Mike Gillis tirade here as it’s not the right thread for that).

However - if any of Woo, Chatfield, etc., step up over the next few years and earn a roster spot, guys like Gudbranson will be gone.

Biega does pretty much everything Gudbrandson does but better. Would rather have him in on a nightly basis than Gudbrandson.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
In trader Jim we trust.

<communistflagfeaturingJimbo’sface>
46.gif

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Bae, goldobin, granlund, eriksson have no grit and toughness but seem to be getting ice time.

Jake has question marks about his character as well but has ice time so your points are flawed.

Bae has grit. Loui and Granlund are defensively sound. Goldobin is meant to play in the top six and doesn’t need to have grit or toughness. Jake HAD question marks about his character, those are gone, and his physical presence and defensive ability make him a way more effective bottom six player than McCann.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Good to see you back hope you’ve been well!

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This has to be the beginning of the end for Gudbranson. Plays 14 minutes, Canucks win big, and Hutton/Stecher looked great.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Is Benning actually smart enough to tell Green to limit RealAmazing's icetime vs the one team that might actually want and be scouting him? In order to "showcase" him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad