HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
We can only hope this sort of analysis builds momentum in South Florida.

I honestly think if Benning wants to trade Gudbranson, it can be done. They were close to trading him for Demers in the off-season but Demers exercised his NTC.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
lmao listen NERDS, what your fancy little machines don't tell you is that in the real world you just have to go with your gut. maybe all those years behind that screen going clickity-clack on those keyboards made you resent big tough guys like Gudbranson getting girls but the fact is he is a real good player and that he is the kind of guy you WIN with. not that you LOSERS would know anything about winning! hah!

The posts here tend to go way overboard far to often Guddy isn't ever going to be a #1 or 2 but he certainly can be a piece and a good one if used and paired effectively it isn't difficult to see this team has mostly 2nd and 3rd pairing level D.
The success this season is a surprise and part of building a solid future line up and regardless of how mean or nasty Guddy plays he does stand up for his team .
The NHL game isn't same playing on that edge isn't as simple refs are so inconsistent cheap shots are more common than ever retaliating punished worse than the offences often.
Those things make players really pick spots they have to .
As for Guddy a 3rd pair with right partners can fit a role and right now this team does not have that depth.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The posts here tend to go way overboard far to often Guddy isn't ever going to be a #1 or 2 but he certainly can be a piece and a good one if used and paired effectively it isn't difficult to see this team has mostly 2nd and 3rd pairing level D.
The success this season is a surprise and part of building a solid future line up and regardless of how mean or nasty Guddy plays he does stand up for his team .
The NHL game isn't same playing on that edge isn't as simple refs are so inconsistent cheap shots are more common than ever retaliating punished worse than the offences often.
Those things make players really pick spots they have to .
As for Guddy a 3rd pair with right partners can fit a role and right now this team does not have that depth.

When has he stood up for any of his team mates?

Reactions: racerjoe

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I honestly think if Benning wants to trade Gudbranson, it can be done. They were close to trading him for Demers in the off-season but Demers exercised his NTC.
Haven't seen Demers play recently but I remember him being a good defenseman.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
When has he stood up for any of his team mates?
He yells at them and hurt their feelings. :sarcasm:

I like how he made short work of Harmonic earlier in the season (think that player is still wearing a partial cage from the resulting injury in that fight) but that altercation came as a result of him throwing a hit at another Flames player rather than Guds getting revenge for something a Flames player did to a Canucks player.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

There were apparently two other trades over the past year that the Canucks turned down, 2nd and 4th around the deadline last year and another deal involving Miles Wood.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I agree. But given the state of our D, Benning's mindset seems to be that if he trades away a Dman he needs to get a Dman back. That's why he was reportedly willing to trade Gudbranson for Demers but has reportedly turn down other deals that likely involved picks.

I actually would like to see Gudbranson traded. He hasn't taken any steps forward since he left Florida and I think Stecher is the better Dman. For whatever reason, Green still plays Gudbranson more than Stecher so factor that in to any potential trade offers Benning might get for Gudbranson.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He yells at them and hurt their feelings. :sarcasm:

I like how he made short work of Harmonic earlier in the season (think that player is still wearing a partial cage from the resulting injury in that fight) but that altercation came as a result of him throwing a hit at another Flames player rather than Guds getting revenge for something a Flames player did to a Canucks player.

Exactly. Hamonic was the one standing up for his team mate in that situtation.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Florida media creating a (tweet) storm of how trading Gudbranson made the team lose its identity.

Please trade for him Tallon

I said this on the main board, but I can’t believe how much Florida loved this idiot. Either he has gotten TERRIBLY worse for us, which I doubt, or he is actually good.

What the hell do they see in this dude. Don’t care though, give us a pick and have your god back.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
What the hell do they see in this dude. Don’t care though, give us a pick and have your god back.

At least they have an excuse, they don't see him play now. They are just living in the idea of the type player he is, not the actual player. There are fans of this team that WATCH him play and still deem him to be a number 4 to number 6 d-man. It is astounding and honestly kind of disappointing.

Reactions: Pip

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
At least they have an excuse, they don't see him play now. They are just living in the idea of the type player he is, not the actual player. There are fans of this team that WATCH him play and still deem him to be a number 4 to number 6 d-man. It is astounding and honestly kind of disappointing.

I went and asked about him on their message board here erlier.
They remember him like he is for us now.

Anyone who looks beyond the occasional big hit should know what he is.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
I said this on the main board, but I can’t believe how much Florida loved this idiot. Either he has gotten TERRIBLY worse for us, which I doubt, or he is actually good.

Would Matt Cooke be a good comparison?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
lmao listen NERDS, what your fancy little machines don't tell you is that in the real world you just have to go with your gut. maybe all those years behind that screen going clickity-clack on those keyboards made you resent big tough guys like Gudbranson getting girls but the fact is he is a real good player and that he is the kind of guy you WIN with. not that you LOSERS would know anything about winning! hah!

Agreed. It's not like Marchessault or Reilly Smith went on to do anything of importance once they left the team! Computer boys probably would have kept them! Tallon was right to give Smith to Vegas on the promise of taking the loser Marchessault.

I have no idea why Tallon gets the love in Florida that he does.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
This just reminds me – I still remember Don Cherry during the Vote for Rory campaign getting mad at "nerds on e-mail" because in 2007 he still hadn't heard of the World Wide Web. :laugh:

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
This just reminds me – I still remember Don Cherry during the Vote for Rory campaign getting mad at "nerds on e-mail" because in 2007 he still hadn't heard of the World Wide Web. :laugh:
When Don Cherry thinks of cell phones, he still think of this:

SimilarDeadGrebe.webp

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
There were apparently two other trades over the past year that the Canucks turned down, 2nd and 4th around the deadline last year and another deal involving Miles Wood.

Benning wants a Dman back. Halford said as much in his podcast with Botchford. He doesn't want to sell purely for picks.

I think a deal with FLA can be worked out with Pysyk as the placeholder coming back, but Pysyk sucks too so...?

Has to be a heavy addition from them I think. Something along the lines of Heponiemi. I mean, VAN gave up McCann, who had a decent 1st rounder pedigree at the time. Him and the 33rd overall. Is Heponiemi worth that right now? Doubt it.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Gudbranson is terrible and has a fresh extension. I don't see how one can even think that the other team would have to add let alone multiple prospects and picks. Florida might given Tallon loves this bad D-man in particular, but even that seems a stretch. Gudbranson's value is far lower than it was when the canucks traded for him and even at that time it was only high in the minds of a handful of GMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Every 1 in 4 touches Gudbranson either turns the puck over/ices the puck/takes a penalty.
Gudbranson has the worst GF% ratio in the league for defenseman that have played 500 minutes with 33.85%.

This guy gets blazed night in and night out. 22 GF 43 GA.
To his supporters, I have to ask. How do you justify this? Do you just ignore the fact the team gets outscored 2-1 when he is on the ice? How do you even justify him as a NHL player?

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Every 1 in 4 touches Gudbranson either turns the puck over/ices the puck/takes a penalty.
Gudbranson has the worst GF% ratio in the league for defenseman that have played 500 minutes with 33.85%.

To his supporters, I have to ask. How do you justify this? Do you just ignore the fact the team gets outscored 2-1 when he is on the ice? How do you even justify him as a NHL player?

Everyone admits that the Canucks do not have a very good defense. So what I want to know is where is the bad play coming from if it is not him? Do they really think Derrick Pouliot is the one player dragging the entire defense down?

Edler has been great since his return from injury. Hutton has been having a good season and has stepped his game up. Stecher has been serviceable and has barely made any glaring mistakes over the last few months. Tanev has struggled compared to his game before but he is still solid in the defensive zone.

Reactions: WTG

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016

Joke's on you pal. When he was traded from Florida, Willie Mitchell tweeted an emoji of a frowning alligator or something. Checkmate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->