HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
My favorite skill of Gudbranson is his ability to finish every shift he takes in the defensive end. That look up at the scoreboard with a sheepish "welp" look on his face while slowly meandering over to the bench for a line-change after the goal/high-end chance.

Reactions: MS

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't think Gudbranson is a coward, I just don't think he's engaged. His fights are after he gets called out. He's apathetic, IMO. Bare Minimum Gudbranson. Mr. Collect His Pay Cheque.
Man this sure ain’t the hill I want to die on (defending Guds) but I wonder if it’s Green’s directive for him to not initiate a fight (though if he has to defend himself that’s a different situation)?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Ahh the “tough guy” on the internet calling out the fake tough guys
HAH, the internet toughies call out the internet roughies over calling out the Canucks toughies. This is getting weird.

member 290103

are you supporting the claim that he's a coward then?

Context or you guys are both pathetic. And i would be glad to offer an apology if you could put a decent argument together other than he didnt attack so and so which would garner a massive suspension and fine.

I would not call him a coward, I would just say......he sucks. He has the potential to be a physical, imposing d-man that makes life miserable for the opposition, but he plays almost soft. If he was belligerent and dropped the gloves more than once in a blue moon and actually stood up for his teammates more often than saying it's "not just me" that should be doing it, I could accept the fact that he is a garbage player otherwise. Problem is, he plays passive and sucks in all areas of the game.

I don't need your apology and don't really care if you think otherwise. I don't like anything about "Guddy's" game. Nothing. Zero.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Ahh the “tough guy” on the internet calling out the fake tough guys

Well, for one, and I know reading comprehension is super challenging for you, I'm not being a "tough guy". I've made no assertion about it.

It's just tragic and stupid that people look at a human and forget they're human. As much as I hate having Gundbranson as a Canuck, i do not ever see him as obligated to fight. Or, I guess I do as much as I do anyone else on the team. (Which I think is Gundbranson's point about 'other players needing to stick up for Boeser, etc' comment.)

But also, I'm watching the game at Blarney Stone and will be there in about 25-30 if you'd like to come by. :)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From all reports players like Gudbranson and Sutter are stand-up guys who are 'good in the dressing-room and I have doubt are decent human beings. Much as the same as Del Zotto. It's just too bad they can't play.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Man this sure ain’t the hill I want to die on (defending Guds) but I wonder if it’s Green’s directive for him to not initiate a fight (though if he has to defend himself that’s a different situation)?

This is also the exact type of realistic possibility that has to force us to remove labeling him as a coward. Pretty simplistic to say he's a coward for not going ape-shit after every cheap shot that happens to our players. He's one dude.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Asking someone to fight every night is a whole different game. You're a goon and he didn't get involved in the NHL for that. It takes miles off your game and life and is a hard way to make a living. Maybe the way he is playing that's the only way he will ever make a decent living in the NHL after this contract, but I doubt it.

There in lies the problem. Gudbranson's sees himself, as a top 4 veteran dman. A view formed from being a high ranked prospect, expectations of top pairing Dman. Too valuable to fight. He's cutting back on physical play to provide quality positional defense.

OTOH fans see someone who is low skill and has had to stop the physical play because he's too slow to get back into position. If you never knew where he was drafted you'd see a low minute goon that isn't physical and doesn't fight much.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

Maybe... I like me2's reasoning... Maybe he's not apathetic, but instead delusional. Regardless of what inflicts him, be it cowardness, apathy, Green, delusion, etc... Something ails him. Dude needs to be gone.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Asking someone to fight every night is a whole different game. You're a goon and he didn't get involved in the NHL for that. It takes miles off your game and life and is a hard way to make a living. Maybe the way he is playing that's the only way he will ever make a decent living in the NHL after this contract, but I doubt it.
Noones asking him to fight every night.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It's unreal how bad this guy is at playing hockey.

Edit:

Now up to 33GF 74GA, overtaking Ceci for the worst GF/GA differential.

Last edited:
Reactions: PG Canuck

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
This guy is probably the biggest knob I've ever watched in a Canucks uniform. Someone made the comment in a GDT about Gudbranson and I paraphrase

"Gudbranson does nothing when our star player takes a dirty hit. Then the next shift, takes a penalty 100 feet from the puck when he loses his temper and takes a stupid penalty after receiving a hit."

Just a dumb selfish pregnant moose knob. I can't think of a single player I ever disliked as a Canucks. I even love the pests like Cooke and Ruutu. But this guy is just a knob.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
this is garbage and you know it? but i guess if you want to argue it im not gonna convince you that its not something a NHL player that cares about his reputation should be doing.

So you ask for the reasoning behind calling him a coward.
I give you my take and your response is "Im not gonna convince you"?

Also... what reputation does Gudbranso have at this point that he should worry about maintaining?

Every ****ing player should care about his self first and foremost, without any form of preservation they are not gonna have a life after hockey and absolutely Gudbranson should not have to attck Matheson or some middleweight non fighting punk to protect the honor of our stars. 100% they are gonna turtle and he's gonna get suspended fined and called out by others for being a joke tough guy beating up defenseless smaller player.....make sense?

So by your logic no player should ever block a shot because they might get injured.

Its not about the "honor of the stars" its about being a close knit group that looks after each other. That is the culture that these supposed "culture carriers" we over pay should bring, right???

In the moment players can attck guys and thats where it ends. If they dont want to fight Gudbranson after that its basically a Bertuzzi Steve Moore incident all over again...think about it.

People calling him a coward for not doing this are idiots

He is doing the bare minimum at this point. Someone could call it being a coward. I'd say he is just dellusional about what he brings to the table for the Canucks. Part of that is on the coaches for not benching him / sitting him in the press box when he is hemmed in his own end night after night throwing horrible passes that end up as icings.

I just wanted to play devil's advocate for your question.

Does that moog guy expect people to take him seriously with the stupid ass avatar mocking the Sedins? Dear lord.

I find him adorable in a obvious troll kind of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad