HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

How is it not a pathetic take?

The guy fights like twice a year. His physical play has been hugely disappointing. He is quite honestly nothing more than a big handsome moving pylon.

Not interested in debating otherwise. It’s absurd.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Why does he talk so much **** then? He’s not “tough as hell”, that’s delusional.
If Gudbranson isn't tough then Getzlaf isn't tough either because Getzlaf landed two punches than turned away and accidentally on purpose, lost his balance. He didn't want to fight Guds at all and when Guds was about to land his patented, Bolo style uppercut Getzlaughs lost his balance accidentally on purpose just like the Virtanen contact. He's a great actor, should have been a comedian with a name like getzlaughs.

Reactions: sting101

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
If Gudbranson isn't tough then Getzlaf isn't tough either because Getzlaf landed two punches than turned away and accidentally on purpose, lost his balance. He didn't want to fight Guds at all and when Guds was about to land his patented, Bolo style uppercut Getzlaughs lost his balance accidentally on purpose just like the Virtanen contact. He's a great actor, should have been a comedian with a name like getzlaughs.
He’s not tough because out of all the situations he could have stood up for his teammates he only does it like 10% of the time.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Why does he talk so much **** then? He’s not “tough as hell”, that’s delusional.
you're kidding right?

Absolutely demolished Kassian and broke Hamonics jaw....he's one tough hombre'

Notice how everything i have been saying has nothing to do with what i think of him as a hockey player? This pathetic attempt at running down Gudbranson as a human being and teammate is disgusting and quite frankly im enjoying it as i get to identify who has terrible opinions not worth engaging. And just to be clear i havent followed your opinion on this matter was just venting and responding to your notion he's not tough

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
you're kidding right?

Absolutely demolished Kassian and broke Hamonics jaw....he's one tough hombre'

Notice how everything i have been saying has nothing to do with what i think of him as a hockey player? This pathetic attempt at running down Gudbranson as a human being and teammate is disgusting and quite frankly im enjoying it as i get to identify who has terrible opinions not worth engaging. And just to be clear i havent followed your opinion on this matter was just venting and responding to your notion he's not tough
He stands up for his teammates a very low number of times.

If you’re going to do that, then don’t run your mouth. We’d be okay with it.

But he talks as if he’s Mike Tyson on skates.

So based on that, he’s not that tough.

Reactions: Pavel96

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He stands up for his teammates a very low number of times.

If you’re going to do that, then don’t run your mouth. We’d be okay with it.

But he talks as if he’s Mike Tyson on skates.

So based on that, he’s not that tough.
How does he talk like he is Mike Tyson on skates? The one time he was mad at Martin? He fights more than enough. His teammates should share the load, he isn’t a 4th line specialty goon

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

Uhh... He is tough as hell. I don't know what you need to do to get the mantle in your world. He broke some guy's face this season and he really doesn't fight a lot. Breaking faces = tough as hell.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
How does he talk like he is Mike Tyson on skates? The one time he was mad at Martin? He fights more than enough. His teammates should share the load, he isn’t a 4th line specialty goon
When he told his teammates they should’ve stood up for Boeser, but then EP gets choke slammed and he doesn’t do anything.

Then that situation against Tampa with Stecher and he didn’t do anything until after virtanen got physically engaged with the guy.... then he decided to jump in as the 3rd man.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Uhh... He is tough as hell. I don't know what you need to do to get the mantle in your world. He broke some guy's face this season and he really doesn't fight a lot. Breaking faces = tough as hell.
He may be a good fighter when he wants him o actually fight but he’s not ‘tough’ in my opinion

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
When he told his teammates they should’ve stood up for Boeser, but then EP gets choke slammed and he doesn’t do anything.

Then that situation against Tampa with Stecher and he didn’t do anything until after virtanen got physically engaged with the guy.... then he decided to jump in as the 3rd man.
They didn’t see the EP hit. And EG can’t be attacking a little guy like that. It’s called f***ing assault. A few of our middleweights went after him. That’s not his job. He can take on the larger guys like Martin and Getzlaf

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Gudbranson has fought the likes of Martin and Wilson in his time here. The list of ex-fighters and their subsequent mental issues is long and sordid; I have no problem with someone fighting only when they feel that they really must. Don't want anyone else going down the path of Rypien and many others.
Except when Gudbranson was injured, he calls out his own teammates for not fighting enough. Then he gets healthy and rarely answers the bell because, "coach wants us to hurt them on the scoreboard". It's okay to see Petterson get demolished, but Virtanen - there's a guy you really need to protect right? I have no problem with someone not fighting, but not when they run their mouth about their teammates being soft. And when it's the most useful (and pretty much only) way he can actually contribute to this team- why not. Everyone knows the team does better with him off the ice anyways so its a win win.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I just find he picks his spots too much, and last year when he called out the team after Boeser got hurt it pissed a lot of people off. Then we have the Matheson incident and other such instances.

He's a strong guy though and can handle himself against most of the leagues tougher guys. I think the "fake tough" thing is more about the tag that he's this physical beast who makes the game hard for the opposition due to his physicality. He isn't that kind of tough stay at home player at all. Smaller guys regularly win board battles against him.

Some fair commentary I guess in some ways. I think a lot of his shortcomings in the regard that you are speaking about has a lot to do with his mobility or lack thereof though. I think guys just slip off him around the boards. I am only going to assume the Matheson thing had to do with coach's wishes, but then the next game everyone wanted a go at him so I have no idea what exactly what to make of it.

I just don't see the player in the lens where he is your goon and he fights every time someone needs to fight. He is supposed to be a guy who can play and also wreak some guys when he needs to. I know he doesn't play very well lately but...he is not a straight up goon and never has been.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
He injured himself, on holidays in Mexico (no this is not the jet ski incident with florida) and missed 8 games. Injuring yourself whilst on holidays = not tough as hell.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Gudbranson gives off the impression that he only fights because it makes him look good. Say what you want about Dorsett but at least that guy fought for his teammates. For Gudbranson every fight seems like it's about himself and the perception around him. Only after Canucks social media absolutely threw a fit the size of Vancouver itself did they respond to the Mathesson hit. I mean how else do you explain this from Gudbranson.

When Gudbranson himself is hit there isn't a hesitation about defending himself. But when it comes to other players on his team? Well... "[He's] not the only guy that should do it on this team."

I mean, to me all this is rather irrelivant. He's a bad hockey player, period. So he shouldn't even be taking shifts for the Canucks.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
And he doesn’t fight a lot... Why? Because he needs to stay out of the box because of his solid play on the ice?

:laugh:

Asking someone to fight every night is a whole different game. You're a goon and he didn't get involved in the NHL for that. It takes miles off your game and life and is a hard way to make a living. Maybe the way he is playing that's the only way he will ever make a decent living in the NHL after this contract, but I doubt it.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
He injured himself, on holidays in Mexico (no this is not the jet ski incident with florida) and missed 8 games. Injuring yourself whilst on holidays = not tough as hell.
How did he get injured? If you get hit by a bus and get injured you're not tough?

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
wow bad posts just keep raining in on the Gudbranson thread.

Why is it so hard for people to just leave it at he's bad at hockey or something you can quantify or use context for.

This is has been eye opening today....definitely a lessen in how spiteful people can become over affecting the Canucks on ice negatively.

Time for some people to check themselves

Reactions: timbermen

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Uh oh, here comes the stats brigade.

Stats...... those things used to quantify and measure a player's ability and contributions.

Gudbranson is terrible and every piece of information, statistically, visually says so. Unless you have any sort of piece of information that says he's good that isn't just your opinion ?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Why is it so hard for people to just leave it at he's bad at hockey or something you can quantify or use context for.

This is has been eye opening today....definitely a lessen in how spiteful people can become over affecting the Canucks on ice negatively.

Lol what a joke of a post. Good one!

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Also... I absolute despise Gunbranson as a player, but when all you sit-at-home-behind-computer guys are telling someone they need to fight more.

It kinda makes me want to meet you in person and see how willing you'd be to throw your fists at another human being, while they tossed theirs at you.

While he's a tragic hockey player, he's not a coward, nor is he obligated to jump on every player that hits or hurts one of our star players. That expectation is delusional and sounds like a bunch of unempatheic kids who think this is a version of NHL 19.

In short, Gundbranson sucks terribly. But he can sure be classified as tough. He doesn't need to fight and contriving this garbage, "he talks a lot so needs to fight a lot" nonsense, is nonsense.

Not even to mention we don't know what's said by the coach, what he's been mandated with.

Reactions: Nomobo

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
This pathetic attempt at running down Gudbranson as a human being ...

Not sure what you are going on about . You Are right, and so are others. Is he tough in the sense of physical strength: yes absolutely. He's large and relatively mobile, he knows how to punch. Now is he tough in the sense of people are intimidated by him: no probably not, he doesnt fight enough or make enough physical plays, and in general his disposition is more friendly than salty.
So you're both right. Perhaps you need to spend some more time evaluating under what context Travis scott was making his assertion.

member 290103

Wow.

Reactions: timw33

member 290103

Not sure what you are going on about . You Are right, and so are others. Is he tough in the sense of physical strength: yes absolutely. He's large and relatively mobile, he knows how to punch. Now is he tough in the sense of people are intimidated by him: no probably not, he doesnt fight enough or make enough physical plays, and in general his disposition is more friendly than salty.
So you're both right. Perhaps you need to spend some more time evaluating under what context Travis scott was making his assertion.

Id agree with this. He has the potential to be physical but refuses to engage. He basically just sucks.

Reactions: timw33

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Also... I absolute despise Gunbranson as a player, but when all you sit-at-home-behind-computer guys are telling someone they need to fight more.

It kinda makes me want to meet you in person and see how willing you'd be to throw your fists at another human being, while they tossed theirs at you.

While he's a tragic hockey player, he's not a coward, nor is he obligated to jump on every player that hits or hurts one of our star players. That expectation is delusional and sounds like a bunch of unempatheic kids who think this is a version of NHL 19.

In short, Gundbranson sucks terribly. But he can sure be classified as tough. He doesn't need to fight and contriving this garbage, "he talks a lot so needs to fight a lot" nonsense, is nonsense.

Not even to mention we don't know what's said by the coach, what he's been mandated with.

Ahh the “tough guy” on the internet calling out the fake tough guys

Reactions: travis scott
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad