The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Bet @Stray Wasp was amused watching the broadcast of the Sunderland-Portsmouth match and the announcer pointing out all the Mackems refusing to fill the place for a playoff and then talking about how if things go pear shaped they make it incredibly difficult on their own team. Only way I'd defend them not showing up is if the club went and charged stupid prices, in which case I wouldn't blame them. Match itself was the drizzling shits, like watching two bad USL teams. The irony is that while this was such an awful match the goal that won it was one for the highlight reels.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
But couldn't they come up with some way to prevent that without doing the type of damage to a club that leads to them becoming extinct? It just feels like punishing clubs like that is punishing the supporters who don't deserve that instead of the shady owners who do deserve it. My view on this is based on my personal experience of seeing a team I loved more than anything (the Hartford Whalers) die and it is something I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy.

You ask a reasonable question.

The problem stems from the ease with which people who have form for being failed business directors and bad debtors can acquire control of clubs. Whether there's a legally enforceable, tight regulatory system that could be implemented I don't know.

But the sad truth is that too many people in football bend over backwards for anyone who gives the illusion of flashing the cash. And that includes some fans.

Reactions: sabremike

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Bet @Stray Wasp was amused watching the broadcast of the Sunderland-Portsmouth match and the announcer pointing out all the Mackems refusing to fill the place for a playoff and then talking about how if things go pear shaped they make it incredibly difficult on their own team. Only way I'd defend them not showing up is if the club went and charged stupid prices, in which case I wouldn't blame them. Match itself was the drizzling ****s, like watching two bad USL teams. The irony is that while this was such an awful match the goal that won it was one for the highlight reels.

Thank goodness I didn't watch - I enjoyed your summary enough as it is, without suffering 90 minutes of staring at bad football and empty seats against a soundtrack of intermittently howling mackems.

(It's ironic that for years sunderland fans cultivated the image of being The Humble Fans Who Knew Their Place Unlike Those Geordies With Their Unrealistic Expectations, when in fact - as borne out by both your description, and descriptions I've heard of the horror, sorry documentary series that was made about them during the season when they were relegated from the Championship after losing 2-1 at home to Burton having led 1-0, at the end of a campaign they'd begun shouting the odds about how they were going to walk the league unlike the Mags the year before because Simon Grayson was a better manager than Rafael Benitez (having before that said Benitez wouldn't cope with a Championship campaign at all) they are as bad for losing patience during games as NUFC supporters).

Reactions: sabremike

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
League Two playoff final will be between Tranmere Rovers and Newport County. Tranmere defeated Forest Green Rovers while Newport defeated Mansfield on penalty kicks. Final is on May 25

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
League Two playoff final will be between Tranmere Rovers and Newport County. Tranmere defeated Forest Green Rovers while Newport defeated Mansfield on penalty kicks. Final is on May 25
Anyone know the last time in a EFL playoff a team had guys sent off in both legs like Forest Green did?

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Leeds being Leeds as usual. You just knew they were gonna bottle it in the playoffs when they weren't able to secure top 2. Losers. When im typing this they makes it 2-3 though and being back in business :D

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Would be a fitting end for Leeds if they get eliminated after how they threw away their advantage during the season

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Has Leeds keeper ever actual played before? I've only been watching for about 20 minutes and he's been absolutely atrocious in terms of when to challenge and when to stay in his goal.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
I remember Leeds excitement at signing Casilla in the January window too; something tells me that honeymoon is over now.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I want Derby to go up so that a few of our young guys who aren't yet ready to come to Chelsea can keep developing under Lampard and Morris - I want Tomori back at Chelsea next year, but I think Mount needs a year of regular EPL minutes and continuing at Derby would be great for that

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Sad day for football.

Look on the bright side - at least the playoff final sets John Terry and Frank Lampard on opposite sides. Hopefully this will usher in a bitter personal enmity between them that lasts for the rest of their lives. (Assuming they already don't secretly hate each other's guts).

Reactions: Evilo

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Was hoping Leeds would win since it's been so long since they've been in the premium league. Derby sucked the last time they were up and a lot of their top players are on loan so I can't see them being good if they go up again. Villa has some decent talent and are more likely to spend so they would be a bit more competitive unless they go full Fulham and buy horribly.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Look on the bright side - at least the playoff final sets John Terry and Frank Lampard on opposite sides. Hopefully this will usher in a bitter personal enmity between them that lasts for the rest of their lives. (Assuming they already don't secretly hate each other's guts).

If the final goes to penalties Terry can step up to take one and end up sending it into row zed.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

They both probably want to manage Chelsea at some point, so there's bound to be a bit of tension between them in the future.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
oh Leeds....when will they get back? So many opportunities pissed away over the years, Fans must be gutted.

Sets up an interesting final but I am partial to Villa...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad