The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Derby beat West Brom 3:1 and secure 6th place and will face the out of form Leeds in the playoffs. Leeds lost to Ipswich today and haven't won their last four matches

Leeds United (3) vs. Derby County (6)
West Brom (4) vs. Aston Villa (5)
I actually like all these teams. I feel Aston Villa are a proper premier league team and should always be in it.
I've been to Elland Road during Leeds purple patch ...great place to be when the team is doing well. When they went down I thought they would be right back.

West Brom...Having gone to Birmingham to watch them play I have a soft spot for them too.

Derby County? meh, go Leeds.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Salford City vs. AFC Fylde is the Conference National playoff final (to be played May 11). During the season both teams won the away game. Regardless who wins, it will be the first time for either side in the football league

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Just went looking for cheap jerseys for lower division teams on eBay. My first purchase:
20190506_171617.jpg

Chesterfield Town.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It must be brutal to be a Leeds fan right now. They had the season in the palm of their hand almost the whole way and just crumbled down the stretch. Now it's no guarantee they'll even make it in.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Derby beat West Brom 3:1 and secure 6th place and will face the out of form Leeds in the playoffs. Leeds lost to Ipswich today and haven't won their last four matches

Leeds United (3) vs. Derby County (6)
West Brom (4) vs. Aston Villa (5)

I've never had the chance to see Leeds United in the Premier League, so that's what I'm hoping for the most.

In order: Leeds > Derby > Aston Villa >>>>> West Brom. I hope Norwich isn't a joke this time because, otherwise, I yawned when I saw them get promoted again. Happy to see Sheffield United in the top flight. Hope Leeds follow suit, Bielsa in tow and everything.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Bolton ave entered administration and will start next season in League One with a 12 point deduction. The Bassini takeover has fallen through

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
One fun thing to look out for next year is the South-Wales derby heating up again. It's been over 5 years since Swansea and Cardiff played each other. It was one of the reasons I was hoping Swansea would have stayed up last year.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Bolton ave entered administration and will start next season in League One with a 12 point deduction. The Bassini takeover has fallen through
Why are point deductions handed out to teams who enter administration? I mean if I see some guy down and out in the middle of the street I don't run over to him and start kicking the guy in his freaking head.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Salford City vs. AFC Fylde is the Conference National playoff final (to be played May 11). During the season both teams won the away game. Regardless who wins, it will be the first time for either side in the football league
Can this game be seen via a (legal) streaming service in North America?

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Salford City is in the football league, they won 3-0.

The 2nd championship semi-final has been lacking in excitement and chances. Neither side wants to make a mistake.

Reactions: sabremike

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Deserved win for Leeds and Derby was flat. However with no away goals rule tie is still open but I think Leeds owned Derby during the season

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Why are point deductions handed out to teams who enter administration? I mean if I see some guy down and out in the middle of the street I don't run over to him and start kicking the guy in his freaking head.

Because in the past clubs abused the administration process in pretty gross ways, shafting both local businesses and government (and volunteer organisations such as St. John Ambulance) while allowing themselves to restructure and resume borrowing while scarcely breaking step.

Leicester City's administration in 2002 was a watershed moment that prompted the penalty to be introduced a year later.

David Conn: Leicester's tax deal indicates easier way out for crisis

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Because in the past clubs abused the administration process in pretty gross ways, shafting both local businesses and government (and volunteer organisations such as St. John Ambulance) while allowing themselves to restructure and resume borrowing while scarcely breaking step.

Leicester City's administration in 2002 was a watershed moment that prompted the penalty to be introduced a year later.

David Conn: Leicester's tax deal indicates easier way out for crisis
But couldn't they come up with some way to prevent that without doing the type of damage to a club that leads to them becoming extinct? It just feels like punishing clubs like that is punishing the supporters who don't deserve that instead of the shady owners who do deserve it. My view on this is based on my personal experience of seeing a team I loved more than anything (the Hartford Whalers) die and it is something I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Salford City is in the football league, they won 3-0.

Saw this was their 4th promotion in 5 years, wonder if they can continue this, they have some money behind them with Peter Lim (billionaire). They are part owned by the “Class of 92” of Manchester United but have no idea how much they put into the club

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad