The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I selfishly want Villa because I may end up going to school i Birmingham and it would be cool to be able to go to some game in both the Prem and Championship

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Leeds Regular-Season Record in the Championship up to the "Yorkshire-Spygate" bust: 16W 6D 5L.

Record from post-bust to end of Regular-Season: 9W 2D 8L.

Truth is- after mid-January, The (not Damned but) Cursed United has had the form of middle-of-the-pack'ers.

Except for last weekend, the last time they won a f***Homophobic Slur game was over a month ago.

Reactions: robertmac43

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Leeds Regular-Season Record in the Championship up to the "Yorkshire-Spygate" bust: 16W 6D 5L.

Record from post-bust to end of Regular-Season: 9W 2D 8L.

Truth is- after mid-January, The (not Damned but) Cursed United has had the form of middle-of-the-pack'ers.

Except for last weekend, the last time they won a ******* game was over a month ago.
It also has to do with Bielsa's demanding physical football.
Same thing happenned with Marseille who started like crazy before being on their last legs and missing Europe.
He needs more depth to use this kind of football.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, the Championship isn't really made for that. It is too hard. Every second division team would have to play 46 league games and at least two cup games over the same amount of weeks as the Premier League that plays 38 games. It's ridiculous. Leeds also won one of those cup games and made the playoffs so they played 51 games while playing that style. As an example Manchester United played 53 games and didn't have to do it with second division level players.

That being said I think we can blame the keeper here. Over and over again.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Just turned on Charlton-Donny Rovers in time for old Andy Butler to level the tie.

Andy Butler was a part of my first Scunthorpe squad as manager on the FIFA series.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Promotion finals all set

May 25-League 2: Newport v Tranmere may
May 26-League 1: Charlton v Sunderland
May 27-Championship aka the billion dollar game: Villa v Derby

All kickoff times are 10am ET
I assume all 3 will be on ESPN +

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Awful behavior by a Portsmouth fan yesterday, hitting a Sunderland player who went into the stands.

Disappointing end to the season for Pompey. January killed them.

Still, a bit of silverware isn't a failed season. Need to get out of League 1 next year though.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Crazy some of the clubs that are in League 1 these days considering they're not that far removed from their Premiership days.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Tranmere win the League 2 playoff beating 10-man Newport with a 119th minute winner. It’s back to back promotions for them.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I selfishly want Villa because I may end up going to school i Birmingham and it would be cool to be able to go to some game in both the Prem and Championship

The Black Country isn't that far from Birmingham, so even if Villa don't go up, you could always dead to Molineux.

And while I haven't been to St. Andrews, the reputation of Birmingham fans isn't the best. Admittedly my last trip to the Hawthorns was 21 years ago, but West Brom fans have always been considered a more pleasant set. The quality of football is also likely to be better than the Bluenoses are able to produce.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The Black Country isn't that far from Birmingham, so even if Villa don't go up, you could always dead to Molineux.

And while I haven't been to St. Andrews, the reputation of Birmingham fans isn't the best. Admittedly my last trip to the Hawthorns was 21 years ago, but West Brom fans have always been considered a more pleasant set. The quality of football is also likely to be better than the Bluenoses are able to produce.

Oh I did not realize how geographically close all those teams were to the Uni. My goal is to go to as many stadiums as possible over the 2 years I'll be in England. Nice to have 4 close by to start with!

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
You have a good base from which to strike out. If memory serves, Leeds, London, Manchester, Nottingham (reputedly the city with the best-looking women in the country) and Sheffield are all two hours or less away from the main train station, Birmingham New Street.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You have a good base from which to strike out. If memory serves, Leeds, London, Manchester, Nottingham (reputedly the city with the best-looking women in the country) and Sheffield are all two hours or less away from the main train station, Birmingham New Street.

Yeah it's an awesome spot for being central. My other main option is Sussex which is right beside the AMEX, hard to beat watching Brighton week in and week out :p

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Crazy own goal to start the match too, good to see Charlton in the 2nd tier again but tough for a club like Sunderland to be stuck in League 1 again, aren’t they in financial problems too? They probably still have 3-4 managers to pay :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad