The English Lower League thread (Part 2)

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Just found out today that Sunderland is playing Tranmere in the finals of the prestigious Papa John's Trophy :eek:

And I thought NCAA football bowl games had ridiculous names; I guess this is the EFL Trophy which has a new sponsor every couple years, used to be the Johnstone Paints Cup or something like that :laugh:

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Just found out today that Sunderland is playing Tranmere in the finals of the prestigious Papa John's Trophy :eek:

And I thought NCAA football bowl games had ridiculous names; I guess this is the EFL Trophy which has a new sponsor every couple years, used to be the Johnstone Paints Cup or something like that :laugh:

Yep...it was the Leasing.com trophy last year. It hasn't even been handed out yet....Portsmouth is yet to play the match. :p

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Brentford slumping recently, lost 2-0 to strugglers Coventry.

Edited: they will still be in a promotion spot because Swans have played 2 less games

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Norwich go 7 points clear at the top after slip ups from Brentford and Swansea (Swansea do have two games in hand though). Brentford surprisingly lost at Coventry while Swansea were hammered at Huddersfield and for USNT fans it appears Morris suffered a bad knee injury. Watford hitting good form at the right moment and currently joint 2nd with Brentford. Below those four who seem to be clear candidates for automatic promotion there will be a fight for the final two playoff spots between roughly seven clubs I would say though in this league you never know...Cardiff and QPR the inform teams out of the playoff spots (Cardiff have won 5 in a row and unbeaten in 8)

some key results at the bottom half, Coventry with a massive win against Brentford while Birmingham go out of the bottom three beating fellow strugglers Sheffield Wednesday away. With three wins in five, Forest are inching their way out of relegation problems

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
EFL: League One and League Two salary cap plans withdrawn - League One & Two salary caps withdrawn

Really happy to hear this. I don't think it ever made sense to impose salary caps for lower leagues without doing it for the higher ones as well.

Conveniently, Sunderland being taken over by billionaire French family Louis-Dreyfus (former owners of Marseille) allows them to make big invests there.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
If Barnsley were to win their game in hand, they would be in the final playoff slot

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Ipswich article in the Athletic again confirms the dysfunction and the fact that Paul Lambert is a bellend

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Championship side 1st place Norwich 1-0 over 2nd place Brentford late in the 2nd half

I semi-follow Bradford City in League 2. They've gone from about 21st to 10th with still some matches in hand and have won 5 straight. They play 6th place Bolton this weekend, the only other club with 5 straight wins in the league

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Swans win again and have games in hand. Sunderland continues to rocket up the League 1 ladder by virtue of the fact they seldom lose their games. A strong month for them will all but guarantee being at top of the league or close to it as they've got Pompey, Lincoln City AND Peterborough by April 5th.

I'd be so happy to see both teams get their promotions

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Swans win again and have games in hand. Sunderland continues to rocket up the League 1 ladder by virtue of the fact they seldom lose their games. A strong month for them will all but guarantee being at top of the league or close to it as they've got Pompey, Lincoln City AND Peterborough by April 5th.

I'd be so happy to see both teams get their promotions

Posh are the only team of those 3 playing well in League 1 at the moment, so that bodes well for Sunderland.

Swans got thumped this afternoon by Bournemouth, but then Brentford could only draw after having a 2 goal lead so not the worst day for them but Watford won again. Big game tomorrow may actually be at the bottom where Wednesday plays Huddersfield, Wednesday going to want to pick up points given they are 7 points from safety as of now but only have 1 game in hand on Birmingham while Rotherham are 3 points from being safe, but have an incredible 3 games in hand.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Pompey appoint the Cowley Brothers on a short contract until the end of the season.

Will be interesting to see if they can turn the club around.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Watford have stormed their way into the automatic promotion spots with a pretty impeccable run of form at the right time. They seem to be ready to join Norwich - who have a 14 point cushion - in coming right back up. Swansea have lost two on the bounce, which is bad timing.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I plan on buying a Pompey kit just to express my sheer hatred and contempt for that asshole Ralph Kreuger and the misery he inflicted on me. May he land on his feet with CFG, Sevco or the DC Scum.

Reactions: GabeTravels

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Couple of Championship managerial changes in the past week

- Karanka resigns as Birmingham manager after a torrid time, apparently there was a massive falling out with the players. Replaced by Lee Bowyer who left Charlton to take the job
- Preston sack Alex Neil after nearly four years in charge which these days is already a minor miracle; replacement hasn;t been named, early favorites are Ainsworth (Wycombe), Appleton (Lincoln) and McCann (Hull)

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad