The English Lower League thread (Part 2)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
And Swansea is 4th, they were up in 2018
Reading is 5th, they were up in 2013
Brentford is 6th...they've never been in the PL....I'll root them on

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
And Swansea is 4th, they were up in 2018
Reading is 5th, they were up in 2013
Brentford is 6th...they've never been in the PL....I'll root them on

Right after Brentford you got Middlesbrough and Stoke who were in the premier league recently and Cardiff also in the top 10. Of the top 15 only Brentford, Bristol and Luton haven't been in the premier league. Maybe Preston too I think.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I'd bet my house that the top 3 have never came right back up...ever. Championship is a fascinating league...Watford has the team to bounce right back...lots of experience. The Cherries have been doing better than i expected...thought they may have some issues with players looking to jump ship. Norwich terrorized the league 2 years ago and seem to have picked themselves up although they will be challenged.

Brentford should have made it up last year so i would be fine with them making a run and getting there.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Has that ever happened before, all three being promoted right back? I really can't even remember the last time two bounced back right away?

Hasn't happened in the 2000s, can't comment anything before that. Looking it up, it almost happened in the 06-07 season (Birmingham and Sunderland went straight up while WBA lost in the playoff final). Last time two went up was 15-16 (Hull and Burnley). Lately what's happened is usually a club that goes down completely falls off the map (Hull, Sunderland, Boro, Huddersfield and if we go a bit more back Blackpool, Blackburn and obviously due to financial reasons Pomey, Bolton)

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
They are still hovering around the relegation zone but Rooney is actually doing a decent job at Derby so far, only one loss in their last 8 games. Birmingham sinking like a stone and conceding tons of goals last few games. No real surprises top of the table so far with the exception of Barnsley who are up to 8th

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Portsmouth hasn't played for over two weeks due to a Covid outbreak at the club.

They were supposed to play tomorrow against Accrington... But the match has been called off due to a frozen pitch.

I miss watching them darn it!

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Back to back wins for Wednesday since Pulis' firing, pretty harsh words from Wednesday's owner about him calling Pulis the worst manager he ever hired, though their owner isn't exactly a model one. Former Wigan manager Paul Cook seems to be the favorite but some foreign managers are in the discussion (Gus Poyet, Thorsten Fink, Jose Morais and even former DC United manager Ben Olsen)

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Portsmouth with their 6th league clean sheet in a row. Most goals scored, least conceded...ahead by 6 in GD.

In 3rd, one point behind Hull and Lincoln. They play both of them in the next week, and 6th place Charlton the following week.

Massive 14 days coming up.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Bournemouth who have lost four in a row but still remain in the playoff spots sack Tindall after only five months in charge

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
True, but expectations are high for Bournemouth and they were 2nd around Christmas time to now slipping out of the playoff spots. I guess especially now its ultra important to gain promotion due to finances

Jonathan Woodgate is the interim manager (ironically he was hired as assistant manager only two days before), John Terry seems to be the early favorite for the job but usually it never works out like that. Other candidates include Lampard (doubtful), Howe returning, Cowley, Cook, Wagner

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Cowley would make sense, Cook wouldnt be sexy enough for them, and I hope they dont go down the Howe route.

Brentford pulled into 2nd last night with their 3-2 win over Bristol City.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad