Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
While Elvis' numbers are clearly better right now, and Korpi's aren't bad, we really shouldn't be comparing anything yet. Every game that goes by, the pressure will just keep going up. At least for me, I am waiting to see what happens when or if we are fighting for our playoff lives how these guys react. I have already witnessed Korpisalo in the playoffs, and lets just say I hope he learned from that experience. A quick look at what Elvis did overseas in the playoffs, his numbers were average. Some good and some bad. We are really going to have to wait and see how it all plays out. One of these guys will end up gone, though, because there is no way either of them accepts a back up role.

Finally some rational wisdom.

And when of one of them leaves, I expect a good return for him. So let them both gain more value while competing against each other.
I think Korpi might become very upset if he was forced to be n2 again, after years of being behind Bob..

Reactions: Monstershockey

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Finally some rational wisdom.

And when of one of them leaves, I expect a good return for him. So let them both gain more value while competing against each other.
I think Korpi might become very upset if he was forced to be n2 again, after years of being behind Bob..
If that happens I'd be horribly tempted to send him to the Preds. Yes, Saros is there to be the heir apparent already, and yes Ingram is waiting in the minors, but I'm getting the feeling that Korpi may be better.

Of course, I'm sure that'll be about as well received there as my suggestions for bringing back Joey are here. :D

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Since the vast majority of NHL goalies are not future Hall of Famers, it is safe to bet that Elvis is not either. But you never know. Back in 1991, I was with a friend in Mexico and he had bet the under in a Chicago Blackhawks game. The two teams scored a bunch of early goals and only needed 1 more for him to lose late in the game. He managed to hold on by a half goal. We kept joking during the game that to win the bet he needed to rely on some 26 year old rookie goalie that neither of us had ever heard of to bail him out. That Chicago goalie was Dominik Hasek.

& Chicago wishes they had held onto that Goalie named Hasek. Haunted them when he was at Detroit

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
There's no reason to move on from Korpi or Elvis for another 2 years. We control both RFA rights. No reason to move on unless you get blown away.

2021 expansion draft is a reason as I believe both are not exempt. Then again maybe one is our sacrifice ala Penguins with Fleury.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I hope you’re right but where are you seeing Elvis is exempt?

Can't find it from a better source but

Two notes: Texier has accrued a professional season, so that means he needs to be protected after his impressive foray into the lineup late in the season. If he keeps that up, he’ll be worth protecting, too, and you can understand why scouts had him as one of the Blue Jackets’ top prospects. Also, the Blue Jackets can get away with protecting Korpisalo and keeping Elvis Merzlikins, who will only have two seasons under his belt and thus be exempt. That’ll do.

Expansion Plan: Projecting the Columbus Blue Jackets’ protection list for the 2021 expansion draft - TheHockeyNews

Reactions: Toe Pick

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Merzlikins?

More like Merzlovins, the way he's been playing lately.....am I right?

upload_2020-2-8_10-26-0.jpeg

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Hi all, very curious about this goaltending situation (picked up Elvis in fantasy lol).

What is happening when Korpisalo gets back? Is Torts gonna split starts 50/50?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hi all, very curious about this goaltending situation (picked up Elvis in fantasy lol).

We don’t really know. Someone - Torts, Jarmo, Legace? - said Korpi is the starter when he’s healthy. But that is not a clear indication of percentage balance of starts.

Some of us are guessing the ‘hot hand’ approach but that’s just a guess. Some of us are guessing the 50/50 you asked about, but that’s a guess too.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014

Tort's will have two aces in his hole. We will learn what happens as it unfolds.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
I'm hoping the first three games Korpi is back he backs Elvis up, then maybe go with a 2 on 2 off run. If someone gets hot or cold, you go with the right goalie. But the more I watch...I just want Elvis to run the table with the exception of back to backs and an odd night off.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
2. Elvis on fire

OK, this is getting stupid.
Merzlikins is only the fourth rookie in NHL history to record five shutouts in the span of eight games, joining Tiny Thompson (1928-29), Dolly Dolson (1928-19) and Frank Brimsek (1938-39).
Put another way: It hasn’t happened in 81 years.
Over those eight games, Merzlikins is 8-0-0 with a .967 save percentage and 1.00 goals-against average. He’s stopped 236 of 244 shots.

Portzline: Red-hot Elvis Merzlikins, Blue Jackets avoid trap...

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
small sample size but there is a huuuuge difference between Home Elvis and Away Elvis.

Home:

7-3-2
1.31 GAA. .957 save percentage.
4 shutouts.

Away:

5-6-4
3.05 GAA, .899 save percentage.
1 shutout.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
small sample size but there is a huuuuge difference between Home Elvis and Away Elvis.

Home:

7-3-2
1.31 GAA. .957 save percentage.
4 shutouts.

Away:

5-6-4
3.05 GAA, .899 save percentage.
1 shutout.
But his first 8 games were road games when both he and the team in front of him played like crap. What are the road numbers since 12/31?

Reactions: Lumbus

Ingus

Feb 8, 2020
Guys, can we consider that Elvis will be #1 GK ? Or whoever won last game, will play next, unless its back to back, then it mean a chance for other to take over ?

Also question for those who consider them just as talanted. Korpisalo have spent much more time in NHL, 5 seasons vs Elvis doesn`t have a full season. Wouldn`t that mean he potentially have much more to show us ?

Ingus

Feb 8, 2020
Guys, can we consider that Elvis will be #1 GK ? Or whoever won last game, will play next, unless its back to back, then it mean a chance for other to take over ?

Also question for those who consider them just as talanted. Korpisalo have spent much more time in NHL, 5 seasons vs Elvis doesn`t have a full season. Wouldn`t that mean he potentially have much more to show us ?
Cont. Do you also think that Elvis is much better with media and a golden goose for Marketing people, which would give him huge advantage over Korpisalo if they both would be equely good ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad