Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Maybe Korpisalo’s first goal the other night was a little too soft.

Who knows. I guess we’ll find out.

Lol.

Not that I'm against it or anything. I just wonder if we're negotiating with Korpi too. I don't see any reason to trade Korpi/Elvis unless someone knocks your socks off with an offer. They're both RFA's, both had injuries, both showed they could be a capable starter, and both went through rough patches in play (with Elvis being the highest and lowest of the bunch). I'd roll with both of them again next year.

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Heading into next season — whenever that may start — do you need to know that you’re the starter, could you be happy sharing the net with Korpisalo, or would you accept a backup’s role?

You give me now three options, which are really different options. It’s a difficult thing to talk about right now, with all that’s going on. I will keep working hard with Manny because I believe that one day he’s not going to make me just a great goalie, he’s gonna make me an awesome goalie. I really believe in Manny. I would not kind of accept being the backup because I know that I am better than that. Obviously there are no goalies who like to share the net. Everybody wants to be a starter. I don’t think even Korpi would agree that we have to share the net. It’s nothing against me and nothing against him. We are very good friends. I love Korpi, so I really have nothing against him. But that’s the situation. We really can’t control those things. We really don’t have to think about it. So let’s see when there is going to be a result to this, an answer to your question. Then you can maybe think and say something. Otherwise, the best we can do is shut up and sit and watch.

Elvis Merzlikins Q&A: Blue Jackets goalie dishes on his...

Other important tidbits:

1. According to Elvis' mother, Elvis had a very tough time in the locker room at the start of the season. Firstly, with not being the starter he felt like he failed. Secondly, when he was losing games at the start of the season he felt he had failed his mother, his girlfriend, and himself. He began doubting he could play at the NHL level.

2. He didn't feel like he belonged in the locker room, so he kept all of his thoughts and frustrations to himself. He said he didn't deserve their friendship with the results he was putting out there.

3. When Korpi got injured he told himself it was his last chance to make it in the NHL. If he fumbled this opportunity he was going back to Switzerland after the year was over.

4. In saying that, he felt a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He knew he was going to play, so the pressure was off and he felt free again. He just wanted to go out and enjoy playing hockey and let the results speak for themselves.

5. Doubled down on being an outsider in the locker room at the start of the season. His mom would say nobody would even shake his hand. He felt like nobodies friend and just another guy you would say good morning to, but wouldn't actually know their name. This feeling started going away when the season started, using a bonding example of him bailing out David Savard if he makes a mistake, and Savard bailing out Elvis if he made one, and how that would bring them closer together.

6. Loves Torts as a coach because he values honesty a lot. He will tell you when you mess up and he won't beat around the bush about explaining it to you. Elvis also doesn't like to be complimented very much, and Torts respects that, but when he does compliment him it has meaning to it.

7. He received a lot of nasty hate mail, messages, and comments from people back home during his losing skid to start his career. But he tried his best to tune it out, even though it was mounting on top of the pressure he was putting on himself to succeed.

8. Believes he belongs in the NHL now, and his goal is to break the records of great goalies before him (mentions Rask, Fleury, Price) and believes Manny Legace can help get him there. He raves about Legace and how much trust he has in him. His ultimate goal is to get the most career shutouts in NHL history.

9. Lived downtown for almost a full year now, and didn't like it very much. Spends a lot of his free time at Easton. Now that he has moved to a home in Dublin outside of downtown, he loves it. Prefers Ohio to a place like New York because the people are friendlier, the traffic isn't as bad, and naturally a calmer atmosphere. Prefers the beaches of LA to both.

Last edited:

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA
Sorry for the bump but I was wondering if you guys knew when Elvis might be coming back. I don't want to drop him in my 16 team league but I'm getting hit really hard by the postponements this week. I would love some insight.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Sorry for the bump but I was wondering if you guys knew when Elvis might be coming back. I don't want to drop him in my 16 team league but I'm getting hit really hard by the postponements this week. I would love some insight.

Should be activated off IR tomorrow

Reactions: Madifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Elvis Merzlikins Q&A: Blue Jackets goalie dishes on his...

Other important tidbits:

1. According to Elvis' mother, Elvis had a very tough time in the locker room at the start of the season. Firstly, with not being the starter he felt like he failed. Secondly, when he was losing games at the start of the season he felt he had failed his mother, his girlfriend, and himself. He began doubting he could play at the NHL level.

2. He didn't feel like he belonged in the locker room, so he kept all of his thoughts and frustrations to himself. He said he didn't deserve their friendship with the results he was putting out there.

3. When Korpi got injured he told himself it was his last chance to make it in the NHL. If he fumbled this opportunity he was going back to Switzerland after the year was over.

4. In saying that, he felt a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He knew he was going to play, so the pressure was off and he felt free again. He just wanted to go out and enjoy playing hockey and let the results speak for themselves.

5. Doubled down on being an outsider in the locker room at the start of the season. His mom would say nobody would even shake his hand. He felt like nobodies friend and just another guy you would say good morning to, but wouldn't actually know their name. This feeling started going away when the season started, using a bonding example of him bailing out David Savard if he makes a mistake, and Savard bailing out Elvis if he made one, and how that would bring them closer together.

6. Loves Torts as a coach because he values honesty a lot. He will tell you when you mess up and he won't beat around the bush about explaining it to you. Elvis also doesn't like to be complimented very much, and Torts respects that, but when he does compliment him it has meaning to it.

7. He received a lot of nasty hate mail, messages, and comments from people back home during his losing skid to start his career. But he tried his best to tune it out, even though it was mounting on top of the pressure he was putting on himself to succeed.

8. Believes he belongs in the NHL now, and his goal is to break the records of great goalies before him (mentions Rask, Fleury, Price) and believes Manny Legace can help get him there. He raves about Legace and how much trust he has in him. His ultimate goal is to get the most career shutouts in NHL history.

9. Lived downtown for almost a full year now, and didn't like it very much. Spends a lot of his free time at Easton. Now that he has moved to a home in Dublin outside of downtown, he loves it. Prefers Ohio to a place like New York because the people are friendlier, the traffic isn't as bad, and naturally a calmer atmosphere. Prefers the beaches of LA to both.

Could CBJ hire me to be his shrink please?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I think having Manny Legace as his goalie coach gives him a guy that has been there and knows the territory. Elvis needs to cut down on the high risk low return moves and focus on stopping pucks. He is very good at stopping pucks.. when he stays in the net. I do love his personality - and when he gets on a roll this guy is really special.

Reactions: I3LI3

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think having Manny Legace as his goalie coach gives him a guy that has been there and knows the territory. Elvis needs to cut down on the high risk low return moves and focus on stopping pucks. He is very good at stopping pucks.. when he stays in the net. I do love his personality - and when he gets on a roll this guy is really special.

It sounds like you want Elvis to play like Korpisalo and never take any chances. That just isn't his style and personality.

I prefer Elvis be Elvis and just get comfortable playing in the NHL. He has a personality where he needs to be the man and is perhaps trying too hard at times to "win the job" but we've seen how he plays when he is in the net for a consistent length of time. His confidence and comfort level goes to another level. It doesn't matter if you are an NHL goalie or work in a mailroom, living in fear of making a mistake is never good for anyone.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
As a one time goalie you have to take chance. You want to challenge the shooter and never be passive. When I think of great netminders Tretiak, Esposito, Roy and Hasek are the guys. These men took chances and would use their face to stop the puck if necessary.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
As a one time goalie you have to take chance. You want to challenge the shooter and never be passive. When I think of great netminders Tretiak, Esposito, Roy and Hasek are the guys. These men took chances and would use their face to stop the puck if necessary.

As a onetime not so old goaltender you have to play the %. Playing goalie now is you take the best % play that is in front of you and roll with it, sometimes its challenging the shooter or sometimes its playing passive and sometimes you Hasek it.

Reactions: OldGoaltender

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
fWIW, it looks like Elvis was on the ice before practice and according to his IG that is traveling with the team to Dallas. Hopefully he’s back sooner rather than later.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
fWIW, it looks like Elvis was on the ice before practice and according to his IG that is traveling with the team to Dallas. Hopefully he’s back sooner rather than later.

That's good but hopefully Korpi can string a few solid games in a row so his return isn't a pressing need and Torts throws him out there before he's ready.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Elvis now has 7 shutouts in 51 career NHL starts. That's T-3rd in the entire league since the start of 2019-2020, though he's done it in far fewer starts. Put another way, he has the greatest # of his starts resulting in a shutout than any other goalie in the league since he started playing in the NHL.

His NHL career save % is now .920, T-8th since he came into the league.

Pretty damn good.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Elvis now has 7 shutouts in 51 career NHL starts. That's T-3rd in the entire league since the start of 2019-2020, though he's done it in far fewer starts. Put another way, he has the greatest # of his starts resulting in a shutout than any other goalie in the league since he started playing in the NHL.

His NHL career save % is now .920, T-8th since he came into the league.

Pretty damn good.
And he I thought he was a sh*tty goalie. :sarcasm:

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Elvis.. you gave me a little bit of joy last night watching you get the shutout. Let me remind you that our intentions are to lose so that we draft higher. The little balls in the hopper have not been kind to the CBJ. That said, it was really fun to watch you play last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad