Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

LOL. That is great. I was 12 when he had his rookie year, I thought for sure we finally had a superstar. That didn't last. i have a home movie somewhere of him hitting a home run and the scoreboard graphics they used to play, which at the time, was cutting edge scoreboard technology. Hearing Herb Score on there brought back memories. He was another guy who started off strong for the Indians only to have an injury derail his career. He was before my time. When I played hockey as a kid, Herb would show up at the rink now and then. I think he had a grandson that played. I hope Elvis keeps up his personality. Sports needs more colorful characters like him, they add a lot and make people want to follow the team more.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
LOL. That is great. I was 12 when he had his rookie year, I thought for sure we finally had a superstar. That didn't last...

This should give everyone pause for thought. Andrew Raycroft or Martin Brodeur? Which one will Elvis come closer to when it is all said and done? :dunno:

Reactions: thebus88

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
This should give everyone pause for thought. Andrew Raycroft or Martin Brodeur? Which one will Elvis come closer to when it is all said and done? :dunno:

Since the vast majority of NHL goalies are not future Hall of Famers, it is safe to bet that Elvis is not either. But you never know. Back in 1991, I was with a friend in Mexico and he had bet the under in a Chicago Blackhawks game. The two teams scored a bunch of early goals and only needed 1 more for him to lose late in the game. He managed to hold on by a half goal. We kept joking during the game that to win the bet he needed to rely on some 26 year old rookie goalie that neither of us had ever heard of to bail him out. That Chicago goalie was Dominik Hasek.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madifer

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Interesting read in the thread. This will all play itself out over time. I've thought from when I first saw Elvis that he was our long term answer. I still think that. In the long term this is really Elvis's job to lose no matter how the rest of the season plays out.

What I hope that is that Korp continues to play well and earns a nice contract with someone, even if it's not us, and has a good career. I like how our posters have been a bit nicer to him recently.

It's funny that they are both 25 and RFA's at the end of the season.

I hope that our situation in goal, which we didn't prepare properly for, stabilized quickly enough to save our season and keep our playoff streak alive. To me this was always the question; how long was it going to take before someone in our system starting playing well enough for us to win?

If we can get one of the two to be our long term answer and signed to a longish contract at a reasonable price, this will really pay off for the team moving forward. Not to be shackled by a huge contract in goal. IMO the best case management is to always have your next goalie lined up so you don't have to play 6+ million in goal on a long term deal that takes them into their mid to late 30's.

Reactions: Madifer and EspenK

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
His play gives Korpi time to get back to 100% instead of rushing him back. Once Korpi is activated, he should back up for a few then play the first game of a back to back, Elvis the second, then go from there.

Reactions: thebus88

ScreamingWild

Jobu Mojo
Oct 4, 2006
Ontario
Quick rant about a comment Tortorella made last night. He was rather snarky when he said "this isn't the Elvis show". We all know this isn't all about Elvis - this has been a TEAM effort. No argument. It is rather shitty of him, though, to make that statement in such a way that Elvis should feel not worthy of the attention he is getting. Whether Tortorella likes it or not, right now Elvis is the name, person and personality that has excited the city and fan base in a season that seemed lost only a short time ago. How can Tortorella belittle the effect that Elvis is having on the team and how he's bringing attention to the TEAM and organization from the entire NHL? The team is obviously feeding off the confidence and composure that he is bringing to every game. How many times have we watched and bemoaned that our team would deflate because they had so little confidence in their goalie?? Elvis is always the first to state that each win has been a team effort and was always the first to blame himself for losses. Seems that his head is in the right place. This TEAM and organization has been starved for a larger than life personality that can bring the fans to feet with his play and joy. I, for one, love his attitude, swagger, and style of play that is unlike any goaltender we've had. He can be the biggest marketing tool of this organization. Christ, I live in Toronto so I'm not there attending the games but even when watching a game on TV I can sure as hell FEEL the absolute insanity of the crowd when he makes a crazy save or even a snippet of the true King's music blasts through the arena! Anyway, when reporters are asking questions about Elvis that an excited fanbase is eager to hear perhaps the coach shouldn't criticize the questioner and dispraise the player. Rant off.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Quick rant about a comment Tortorella made last night. He was rather snarky when he said "this isn't the Elvis show". We all know this isn't all about Elvis - this has been a TEAM effort. No argument. It is rather ****ty of him, though, to make that statement in such a way that Elvis should feel not worthy of the attention he is getting. Whether Tortorella likes it or not, right now Elvis is the name, person and personality that has excited the city and fan base in a season that seemed lost only a short time ago. How can Tortorella belittle the effect that Elvis is having on the team and how he's bringing attention to the TEAM and organization from the entire NHL? The team is obviously feeding off the confidence and composure that he is bringing to every game. How many times have we watched and bemoaned that our team would deflate because they had so little confidence in their goalie?? Elvis is always the first to state that each win has been a team effort and was always the first to blame himself for losses. Seems that his head is in the right place. This TEAM and organization has been starved for a larger than life personality that can bring the fans to feet with his play and joy. I, for one, love his attitude, swagger, and style of play that is unlike any goaltender we've had. He can be the biggest marketing tool of this organization. Christ, I live in Toronto so I'm not there attending the games but even when watching a game on TV I can sure as hell FEEL the absolute insanity of the crowd when he makes a crazy save or even a snippet of the true King's music blasts through the arena! Anyway, when reporters are asking questions about Elvis that an excited fanbase is eager to hear perhaps the coach shouldn't criticize the questioner and dispraise the player. Rant off.

I think this was more directed to everyone in the media turning the game into an Elvis vs. Bob game. I was there. Elvis was good when he needed to be but it was a complete team game. I think Werenski should have been #1 star. However, Torts wants to make sure his team is getting credit and not allowing the media to make it all about Elvis.

Elvis is and will be a star and torts might be a bit cautious that the media circus ends up undermining the team. Elvis is always giving his teammates credit so we seem fine there.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
After watching LeBron in Cleveland I get what Torts is saying. LeBron, deserved or not, got all the credit all the time. When they would win that is all it was, LeBron and the other guys. Most playoff games the paper would have the box score, and then a beakdown of every shot LeBron took. This I am sure, wore on the other guys who would get zero credit for anything. Giving one guy all the accolades will most definitely effect team chemistry. Elvis has been spectacular, but the rest of the team has been playing extremely well. They are playing solid defense, and staying out of the penalty box. All of that helps Elvis be better, just like Elvis' playing helps the guys up front. This has been a total team effort, and should be reported as such.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Lets please not forget that Jonas Korpisalo was headed to the all star game prior to tearing his acl. Elvis had not played that well prior to the pressure of having to step in and be the Man. He did, and he has ever since, but isn't there an argument to be made that much of the success is the result of a very developed blue line and defense first offensive nature. If our forwards don't back check they sit, and sometimes even when they do they sit. This is a very focused team, Torts doesn't want the outside world to f*** it up, that is not so hard to understand is it?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I wouldn't have phrased it like Torts, but I do think he has a point.

Korpisalo was headed to the ASG and our 4th string goalie (behind Korpi, Elvis, and VV who is getting most of the starts in Cleveland) has something like a 1.9 GAA and .92 save percentage.

While Elvis was great last night, based on possession and shot quality the Jackets still deserved to win last night.

So at what point do you wonder if much of this is due to team defense and system?

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Elvis has been great in 2020, but this turnaround started the second week of December. In Korpi’s last 10 games he saved 274/291 (.941), and allowed 2 or fewer goals in 9 of those games. Looking at that, along with Kivlenieks stats, it’s clearly not all Elvis responsible for the bonkers goals against average lately.

This situation is going to be pretty interesting as Korpi gets healthy. You have two very viable options to choose from and probably don’t want to get either guy out of a regular playing rotation. Korpi was very much the clear number one and was playing at a very high level when he went down. But Elvis appears to have a big effect on the rest of the team right now.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Elvis has been great in 2020, but this turnaround started the second week of December. In Korpi’s last 10 games he saved 274/291 (.941), and allowed 2 or fewer goals in 9 of those games. Looking at that, along with Kivlenieks stats, it’s clearly not all Elvis responsible for the bonkers goals against average lately.

This situation is going to be pretty interesting as Korpi gets healthy. You have two very viable options to choose from and probably don’t want to get either guy out of a regular playing rotation. Korpi was very much the clear number one and was playing at a very high level when he went down. But Elvis appears to have a big effect on the rest of the team right now.
My worry is even a 50/50 split could throw both of them off. It is possible both play at their best when they are able to string starts together and get in a rhythm.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'll pile on with the haters. Its simple...

Korpisalo > Merzlikins

Merzlikins has been better than I thought he could be after seeing him play at the start of the year. But, Korpisalo is just a much better goalie.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Korpisalo > Merzlikins

Merzlikins has been better than I thought he could be after seeing him play at the start of the year. But, Korpisalo is just a much better goalie.

Bold statement.

How about we just let them fight it out when healthy and hope Torts doesn’t f’ up the goalie management for the rest of the season?

If Korpisalo is that much better than Elvis behind this team, I expect no less than 5 shutouts in his next 8 starts to prove it. :sarcasm:

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
My problem with Korpisalo is like bob he lets in really weak goals from time to time. Elvis seems to be in the right spot all the time. 4 s/o last 7 games shows that. Small sample size tho

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Quick rant about a comment Tortorella made last night. He was rather snarky when he said "this isn't the Elvis show". We all know this isn't all about Elvis - this has been a TEAM effort. No argument. It is rather ****ty of him, though, to make that statement in such a way that Elvis should feel not worthy of the attention he is getting. Whether Tortorella likes it or not, right now Elvis is the name, person and personality that has excited the city and fan base in a season that seemed lost only a short time ago. How can Tortorella belittle the effect that Elvis is having on the team and how he's bringing attention to the TEAM and organization from the entire NHL? The team is obviously feeding off the confidence and composure that he is bringing to every game. How many times have we watched and bemoaned that our team would deflate because they had so little confidence in their goalie?? Elvis is always the first to state that each win has been a team effort and was always the first to blame himself for losses. Seems that his head is in the right place. This TEAM and organization has been starved for a larger than life personality that can bring the fans to feet with his play and joy. I, for one, love his attitude, swagger, and style of play that is unlike any goaltender we've had. He can be the biggest marketing tool of this organization. Christ, I live in Toronto so I'm not there attending the games but even when watching a game on TV I can sure as hell FEEL the absolute insanity of the crowd when he makes a crazy save or even a snippet of the true King's music blasts through the arena! Anyway, when reporters are asking questions about Elvis that an excited fanbase is eager to hear perhaps the coach shouldn't criticize the questioner and dispraise the player. Rant off.

Torts saying that in public doesnt mean that its what he tells to the players or face to face to Elvis.

Personally I think Elvis loves attention and he has been getting lots of it for valid reasons. What I also love about Elvis is that he doesn't shy away from the camera or speaking in a foreign language in front of a sold out NWA. Thats quite the opposite of Bob who was almost always insecure during his interviews, even in Russian.

I think Elvis has it all to become CBJs starting goalie and imo: this guy is not a PO choker like Bob or Cam.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Reactions: ScreamingWild

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Korpisalo > Merzlikins

Bahahahahaha. Stop embarrassing yourself, man.

Elvis: 11-6-4, .929, 2.3, 4 shutouts, 13.28 GSAA
Korpi: 17-10-4, .913, 2.49, 2 shutouts, 4.16 GSAA

By every metric, Elvis is better. Korpi is good, yes, but Elvis has been playing at a level Korpi hasn't been able to match at any point this season over his last 13 starts.

It remains quite the mystery to me about people - their inability to acknowledge simple facts in front of them. Very bizarre.

Reactions: ScreamingWild

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
While Elvis' numbers are clearly better right now, and Korpi's aren't bad, we really shouldn't be comparing anything yet. Every game that goes by, the pressure will just keep going up. At least for me, I am waiting to see what happens when or if we are fighting for our playoff lives how these guys react. I have already witnessed Korpisalo in the playoffs, and lets just say I hope he learned from that experience. A quick look at what Elvis did overseas in the playoffs, his numbers were average. Some good and some bad. We are really going to have to wait and see how it all plays out. One of these guys will end up gone, though, because there is no way either of them accepts a back up role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad