Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Among qualified goalies (which NHL.com lists as playing in 16+ games), Elvis's stat lines with league rank are as follows:

.928 save % (3rd -> both 1st and 2nd are .929), 2.36 GAA (8th), 3 shutouts (T-2)

And this coaching staff is going to relegate him to backup status in a few weeks? Uhhhh.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Among qualified goalies (which NHL.com lists as playing in 16+ games), Elvis's stat lines with league rank are as follows:

.928 save % (3rd -> both 1st and 2nd are .929), 2.36 GAA (8th), 3 shutouts (T-2)

And this coaching staff is going to relegate him to backup status in a few weeks? Uhhhh.
I think if he is still this hot when Korpi comes back, they will stick with the hot goalie. If he is just ok, they will go back to Korpi.

Reactions: Madifer

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

I don't think it's quite like this. Korpi needs to get back into the rotation (no disrespect to Kivlenieks). What the rotation structure will be (who on paper is considered the starter vs. backup) is yet to be determined. The good thing is with the recent play of our goalies, they don't need to rush Korpi back before he's completely healthy. Getting Korpi back makes for a great competition between the pipes although I'm sure both goalies would prefer to play the majority of the games.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Does it get any hotter than a .969 save percentage and a 1.00 GAA?

Our bus friend still thinks that Korpi urgently needs to return as the team is way better with him on the ice. Im sure one is more or less allowed to form rather radical opinions yet I simply fail to follow his thought.

Elvis will have a losing streak eventually and then we will see. I cant imagine Torts putting Korpi in net until Elvis has had at least one very bad start.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
First I hear Jonas is the starter, Elvis the Backup, then I hear who must we trade? Columbus has tended to ride the hell out of their #1 goal tender and really has no experience with having two really effective backstops. Recently Pitt played with MAF & Murray, Washington has Holtby and Samsonov, both found themselves in playoff races where the backup came in and saved the series. Neither Elvis or Jonas have contracts that are prohibitive, relax.

Insert Grubauer for Samsonov (thanks D&S)

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
First I hear Jonas is the starter, Elvis the Backup, then I hear who must we trade? Columbus has tended to ride the hell out of their #1 goal tender and really has no experience with having two really effective backstops. Recently Pitt played with MAF & Murray, Washington has Holtby and Samsonov, both found themselves in playoff races where the backup came in and saved the series. Neither Elvis or Jonas have contracts that are prohibitive, relax.

Small nitpick - it was Grubauer who they started a couple years ago and then Holtby came in and took them to the Cup.

I wouldn't trade either Korpisalo or Elvis during the season unless it's a huge package. If Jarmo really wants to move one out ("strike while the iron is hot" or whatever), then the Draft would be a better time.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't think it's quite like this. Korpi needs to get back into the rotation (no disrespect to Kivlenieks). What the rotation structure will be (who on paper is considered the starter vs. backup) is yet to be determined. The good thing is with the recent play of our goalies, they don't need to rush Korpi back before he's completely healthy. Getting Korpi back makes for a great competition between the pipes although I'm sure both goalies would prefer to play the majority of the games.

Manny Legace told Portzline that Korpisalo is the starter when he comes back. Now, if that's a 55/45 starter or a 75/25 starter, he didn't say. I'd be fine going 1a/1b if they can perform consistently, or just riding the hot hand if that works better.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
When Korpi comes back (if he is same level) we have unbealivible great tender situation. Think about backtoback games we have two goalies who can make 40saves and allows only 1 or 2 goals. Both have energy cause dont have play 20games row. Of course both will have bad game at some point but still, situation is amazing

Reactions: Madifer and Lumbus

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
When Korpi comes back (if he is same level) we have unbealivible great tender situation. Think about backtoback games we have two goalies who can make 40saves and allows only 1 or 2 goals. Both have energy cause dont have play 20games row. Of course both will have bad game at some point but still, situation is amazing

Its this competition between two rested goalies thats supposed to take CBJ to the PO this year. If they both fail to be absolutely on top of their game then we are doomed yet I still wouldnt blame either.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I wouldn't trade either of them until there is a solid backup in the organization. The other thing that might influence a trade is salary demands and cap issues.

Reactions: Madifer

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I wouldn't trade either of them until there is a solid backup in the organization. The other thing that might influence a trade is salary demands and cap issues.
I wouldn’t trade either one of them PERIOD.

I know we’re all ecstatic over the way things are going, but let’s also not forget that neither Korpi nor Elvis got off to good starts. They were both somewhere between average and dreadful, depending on who you ask. Now there are explanations for that, but we can’t lose track of reality here. Neither one of these guys has any history of sustained success as a number one goalie. Trading one and hitching our wagon to the other is entirely premature.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What do you guys predict the split will be % wise when Korpi comes back?

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
. Trading one and hitching our wagon to the other is entirely premature.

This. I mean nobody knows just how good or bad they can be, so ditching one for a pick and watching him get a Vezina would be very ouch.
Its a way safer bet to let them finish the season first, to see how they manage playing in March and more. And god that Match schedule + pressure to get into PO..

March will separate men from boys.

Interesting times await us :)

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What do you guys predict the split will be % wise when Korpi comes back?
I think the goalies will dictate that. With what Elvis has done how can you take him out? I think like the other poster stated Elvis will get more of the starts off the start and that will continue until he falters or Korpi just straight up takes his net back

Reactions: Reynys

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Attachments

• 52193.jpg
    52193.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I remember that year. He was unbelievable, talking to the ball and all his quirkiness. Also reminds me of Super Joe Charboneau. They wrote songs about him, and the stories about him opening beer bottles with his eye socket. One good year, and that was it. Although I think he had a bad back injury that didn't help.
Loved watching Joe Charboneau in the old rat hole stadium back in my post college days......Short but colorful career.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Manny Legace told Portzline that Korpisalo is the starter when he comes back. Now, if that's a 55/45 starter or a 75/25 starter, he didn't say. I'd be fine going 1a/1b if they can perform consistently, or just riding the hot hand if that works better.

Fire Manny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad