Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Almost like not starting at home for three months is bad for a rookie goalie.
Well considering how he is playing now, it seems he was handled correctly. Torts didn't do anything I would consider brilliant, he basically did what any good coach would do. The credit for playing better falls directly on Elvis, but Torts being able to read his ego and push the right buttons helped. Not playing him in situations that he probably should have played him, I think, lit a fuse in him and he was going to prove to Torts, and everyone else that doubted him that he could play in this league. Back then he was still making mistakes, like in Winnipeg when he should have dumped that puck in the corner, that were killing him. He was his own worst enemy. Not playing, and seeing the team do good without him, made him focus more and be more determined that when he got his chance again, things would be different. Like I said, not brilliant coaching, but being able to read a guys ego and get him going. Any good coach will do that.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Well considering how he is playing now, it seems he was handled correctly. Torts didn't do anything I would consider brilliant, he basically did what any good coach would do. The credit for playing better falls directly on Elvis, but Torts being able to read his ego and push the right buttons helped. Not playing him in situations that he probably should have played him, I think, lit a fuse in him and he was going to prove to Torts, and everyone else that doubted him that he could play in this league. Back then he was still making mistakes, like in Winnipeg when he should have dumped that puck in the corner, that were killing him. He was his own worst enemy. Not playing, and seeing the team do good without him, made him focus more and be more determined that when he got his chance again, things would be different. Like I said, not brilliant coaching, but being able to read a guys ego and get him going. Any good coach will do that.

"His mistakes in not giving him a home start for three months were good, actually, because that pissed off his goalie" reads essentially as Torts' burner account. Even poor coaching decisions get twisted into "pushing the right buttons." Amazing.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I would expect an analytic guy to not understand anything about ego or character. Its only numbers with people like you. It will be a sad day when Columbus gets a coach that relies only on stats. You know, the way the early season schedule worked also had a little to do with him not getting starts at home. And you know what, if you can't play good on the road, what would tell you that they will be good at home. Oh, probably some thing like expected goals against. He is a little above average against the league save % so he should be fine. Doesn't matter the team coming in has an axe to grind, or is pissed they blew a big lead the night before, the stats say he should only give up 1 goal because thats what the analytics say. I would love to see how a person like you that just goes by analytics would do coaching. They would probably fail.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

Brilliant.

And yes, Torts knows how to play the right melody on most players. Its obviously one of his strengths.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monstershockey

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I would expect an analytic guy to not understand anything about ego or character. Its only numbers with people like you. It will be a sad day when Columbus gets a coach that relies only on stats. You know, the way the early season schedule worked also had a little to do with him not getting starts at home. And you know what, if you can't play good on the road, what would tell you that they will be good at home. Oh, probably some thing like expected goals against. He is a little above average against the league save % so he should be fine. Doesn't matter the team coming in has an axe to grind, or is pissed they blew a big lead the night before, the stats say he should only give up 1 goal because thats what the analytics say. I would love to see how a person like you that just goes by analytics would do coaching. They would probably fail.

Again brilliant. Some people understand the basics of psychology even without having studied it, as managing others is one of their talents. While others do not. You seem to be among the first group, based on your reactions here.
You and me also know that there are things which many out there wouldn't understand, not simply by lack of own experience or knowledge but simply not being able to look at things since their ignorance is preventing them even from knowing that certain doors exist along the corridor, let alone open them to see whats there.

But yes, managing players, especially young hotheaded millionaires isnt easy at all and requires talents and skills

Reactions: thebus88

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Being able to find out what makes people tick is a huge part of coaching, as well in other areas of work where you have to rely on the performance of other people. You have to figure out what it is that gets them going. There are people you can yell at all day and it won't make a lick of difference, but then you can calmly challenge that same person, or maybe imply that they are not as good as they think they are, and boom, just to prove you wrong they do what you have been trying to get them to do all along. Everybody is different. If these guys were robots then you could go by the numbers. But when you put pride, ego, stubbornness, or whatever into the equation, it is up to the authority figure, in this case the coach, to figure out how to get the best out of someone. I think this is an ongoing thing with Milano also. These two have been butting heads for a few years now, and I don't think Torts has been able to figure him out. It's always been known they don't see eye to eye. I think Milano is just going to do things his way, and no amount of yelling, talking to, or benching him is going to make a difference. Sonny is just as stubborn as Torts and for Sonny to buy in, its going to be because he decides to, not anything that Torts will do or say. I meant to reply to you Sadifier, but I forgot to hit the reply button.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Another positive and yes very premature observation about Elvis is that he seems to thrive when given attention and pressure. While Bob was always somewhat insecure and even shy. I think one can speculate that Elvis could do well in the PO when handling pressure and be the opposite of a choker (not sure whether Americano has a word for it :Р)

Reactions: Martin Sloan

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Korpisalo is better at everything and gives the team a much better chance to win games. Merzlikins looks very uncomfortable most of the time he's on the ice, even after winning 5 career games.

Its clear some people want to see different things than what there is to see with both Merzlikins and Korpisalo.

1 guy is a "starter", the other guy is a "backup".

Bolded is true lmao

Reactions: Reynys

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Its.... Mr. "All Star" Korpisalo, thank you very much.

Truth is, 1 guy has a 5-6 record with a 2.7 gaa, the other has a 17-10 record with a 2.5 gaa.

They are not the same quality goaltender, looking at the "numbers" or looking at their play on the ice.

Want to re-rack these numbers and maybe admit your "season is over" posts were a touch premature?

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Light up for dumdum. He has one year contract is there a chance we lose him after this year?

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Last season with all the Bob The Goalie soap opera a good hockey mind said that Merzlikins was the best goalie outside of North America.
His struggles early from what I saw was his lack of rebound control.
Something to watch for is his stick handling of the puck. He could finish seasons with 2-3 goals.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Last season with all the Bob The Goalie soap opera a good hockey mind said that Merzlikins was the best goalie outside of North America.
His struggles early from what I saw was his lack of rebound control.
Something to watch for is his stick handling of the puck. He could finish seasons with 2-3 goals.

This something I think he still has some issues with. big difference has been the guys in front of him doing a great job of clearing the crease which they weren't doing early in the season.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
As as a Detroit Tigers fan who is old enough to remember when Mark "The Bird" Fidrych took baseball by storm back in 1976, these last couple of weeks have brought back some happy memories from my childhood. Here's hoping that Elvis has a longer and more successful career than The Bird did, though.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
As as a Detroit Tigers fan who is old enough to remember when Mark "The Bird" Fidrych took baseball by storm back in 1976, these last couple of weeks have brought back some happy memories from my childhood. Here's hoping that Elvis has a longer and more successful career than The Bird did, though.

"We want the Bird. We want the Bird." Sold out the park every time he pitched. Fans wouldn't leave until he took the curtain call. Won 19 games on a pretty horrible team. Agree with everything you stated and more. Great memories from growing up in Detroit.

His career was cut short. Hope Elvis has a much longer career.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
"We want the Bird. We want the Bird." Sold out the park every time he pitched. Fans wouldn't leave until he took the curtain call. Won 19 games on a pretty horrible team. Agree with everything you stated and more. Great memories from growing up in Detroit.

His career was cut short. Hope Elvis has a much longer career.
I remember that year. He was unbelievable, talking to the ball and all his quirkiness. Also reminds me of Super Joe Charboneau. They wrote songs about him, and the stories about him opening beer bottles with his eye socket. One good year, and that was it. Although I think he had a bad back injury that didn't help.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad