Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
LOL fortunately none of us were worried.

Almost like both Elvis and Joonas are really good as #1 goalies, but sub-par as "one start every 10 or so days" backups. If Elvis keeps this up, he makes it both interesting on the coaching staff in early Feb. and on Jarmo this summer.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
31 games for Korpisalo, 10 for Elvis. You left that out. It would be fair if you said Korpi's last 10 games- .942 save%, Elivis' last 10 games- .917 save%.

They have nearly identical stats in their last 4 starts.

-Elvis: .945, 1.76 GAA
-Korpi: .944, 1.69 GAA

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
They have nearly identical stats in their last 4 starts.

-Elvis: .945, 1.76 GAA
-Korpi: .944, 1.69 GAA
Elvis has been playing well since Korpi went down. Hopefully he does good and holds the fort down until Korpisalo comes back. I'll feel better with Joonas and Elvis healthy. I like Kiv, but I don't think he gets a chance unless Elvis stinks it up. They aren't really travelling between Anaheim and LA, so I see no reason Elvis doesn't get the back to back.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Elvis has been playing well since Korpi went down. Hopefully he does good and holds the fort down until Korpisalo comes back. I'll feel better with Joonas and Elvis healthy. I like Kiv, but I don't think he gets a chance unless Elvis stinks it up. They aren't really travelling between Anaheim and LA, so I see no reason Elvis doesn't get the back to back.

Portzline heavily speculated that if Elvis needed a break they would call up VV.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I can see that but not until they get back to Columbus. I'm thinking its Elvis for all 4 games out west. If he needs a break its going to be Kiv.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Portzline heavily speculated that if Elvis needed a break they would call up VV.
He is probably right. If they don't trust Kiv that much, I hope Elvis doesn't get hurt early in a game. Even though Kiv is much improved, I would still get a little nervous when he would play.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I can see that but not until they get back to Columbus. I'm thinking its Elvis for all 4 games out west. If he needs a break its going to be Kiv.

Agreed, but I think Elvis is getting every game on this trip unless he's injured.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Elvis has been very good to spectacular!

Can he continue to grow? Is he strong mentally? It seems that both answers are cautious yes..

What do we do when Korpi is back if Elvis can still play on this level? Do we do 50/50 or +-70/30 in favour of Elvis?

Since its a rebuild year Id give Elvis many chances to prove that he can be a legitimate n1 goalie, while Korpi, possibly much to his contempt, finds himself as a backup again next year..

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'd personally go with 70/30 or 50/40 to start to work Korpisalo back in and eventually work back to 50/50 if his play warrants it. I know Torts will probably just throw him right back in there when he gets healthy but if you play the game where you ride the hot hand I don't see how you can just take Elvis out when Korpisalo gets back.

We've sen how both can play with consistent playing time and we've seen how bth can play without getting regular playing time. They'll probably make choice between one of them in the off season and the other will get a starting job somewhere else. I'm personally on team Elvis in a tie between them because he just has a personality that will make him a marketable star in Columbus.

Reactions: Madifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I'd personally go with 70/30 or 50/40 to start to work Korpisalo back in and eventually work back to 50/50 if his play warrants it. I know Torts will probably just throw him right back in there when he gets healthy but if you play the game where you ride the hot hand I don't see how you can just take Elvis out when Korpisalo gets back.

We've sen how both can play with consistent playing time and we've seen how bth can play without getting regular playing time. They'll probably make choice between one of them in the off season and the other will get a starting job somewhere else. I'm personally on team Elvis in a tie between them because he just has a personality that will make him a marketable star in Columbus.

What I dont like here is the idea of parting with a possible future Vezina winner while keeping the worst of the two. I hope it won't happen

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Same complaints were shot down for YEARS involving Korpisalo. The point is that Korpisalo has been a better goalie than he has gotten credit for and deserved MORE starts this year and years past. Much closer to Bob and much farther from Merzlikins than what a lot of people think.

Merzlikins is literally the same age and is literally a MUCH worse goalie. For whatever reasons, I don't really care, he's nowhere near Korpisalo's level. I was trashed not even 2 months ago for saying that, and its absolutely TRUE.

The season is essentially now over with Korpisalo out. AKA its essentially over with Merzlikins as the starter. But the continued "whole CBJ team sucks"....will now hit hyperdrive....whoopeee.

Meh, he is decent.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Same complaints were shot down for YEARS involving Korpisalo. The point is that Korpisalo has been a better goalie than he has gotten credit for and deserved MORE starts this year and years past. Much closer to Bob and much farther from Merzlikins than what a lot of people think.

Merzlikins is literally the same age and is literally a MUCH worse goalie. For whatever reasons, I don't really care, he's nowhere near Korpisalo's level. I was trashed not even 2 months ago for saying that, and its absolutely TRUE.

The season is essentially now over with Korpisalo out. AKA its essentially over with Merzlikins as the starter. But the continued "whole CBJ team sucks"....will now hit hyperdrive....whoopeee.

One is a .915 and one is a .913. ‍♂️

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

This aged well.

Reactions: Reynys

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
One is a .915 and one is a .913. ‍♂️
This aged well.

It aged fine. Merzlikins has looked not terrible and has not single handedly ruined the CBJ season..... congrats.

Korpisalo is still a MUCH better goalie. Korpisalo is better at literally every aspect of the position.

Korpisalo will start the majority of the games when he is healthy enough.

Last edited:

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
It aged fine. Merzlikins has looked not terrible..... congrats.

Korpisalo is still a MUCH better goalie. Korpisalo is better at literally every aspect of the position.

Korpisalo will start the majority of the games when he is healthy enough.

This is quite radical to be honest.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Korpisalo is better at everything and gives the team a much better chance to win games. Merzlikins looks very uncomfortable most of the time he's on the ice, even after winning 5 career games.

Its clear some people want to see different things than what there is to see with both Merzlikins and Korpisalo.

1 guy is a "starter", the other guy is a "backup".

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Clearly, Mr. Korpisalo's agent.

Its.... Mr. "All Star" Korpisalo, thank you very much.

Truth is, 1 guy has a 5-6 record with a 2.7 gaa, the other has a 17-10 record with a 2.5 gaa.

They are not the same quality goaltender, looking at the "numbers" or looking at their play on the ice.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

I think a lot of what thebus is looking at is the differences in mechanics between the two. Korpi started off the year picking up some improvements from last year. As he got more starts he solidified.

Elvis had been great as a fill in but his mechanics are not as sound. It's things like his angles, depth, glove and overall body noise. Korpi had some of the same issues (especially the body noise and over playing) in the past. These can be overcome but right now korpi is the better goalie mechanically.

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Truth is, 1 guy has a 5-6 record with a 2.7 gaa, the other has a 17-10 record with a 2.5 gaa.

They are not the same quality goaltender, looking at the "numbers" or looking at their play on the ice.

You do realize GAA is driven by the # of shots given up by the defense and W/L record relies quite heavily on the offense, right?

There's a reason you didn't include their save percentages - the one stat they have the most control over - because you're here in bad faith, instead of simply admitting you were wrong about Elvis. Plenty of us admitted we were wrong about Korpi.

Reactions: Viqsi

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
You do realize GAA is driven by the # of shots given up by the defense and W/L record relies quite heavily on the offense, right?

There's a reason you didn't include their save percentages - the one stat they have the most control over - because you're here in bad faith, instead of simply admitting you were wrong about Elvis. Plenty of us admitted we were wrong about Korpi.
This makes no sense. GAA has nothing to do with # of shots given up by the defense. It also has nothing to do with save %. Goalies can give up 3 goals on 9 shots and win, and they can give up 3 goals on 40 shots and lose. They will have a better save % in the loss. You can lose a bunch of games you score 4 or more goals in, and win more games you score 3 or less in. Last time I checked, hockey is a team game. Comparing Elvis to Korpi is unbelieveably stupid right now because of the games played difference. I don't get why anybody even cares. They are winning games right now as a team. It doesn't matter who is playing, just that they play as a team.

Reactions: thebus88

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

Its Elvis's first year in the NHL so what do you even expect? Perfection without experience?

Elvis is showing that he can grow, that he can be relied on when shit hits the fan such as Korpi gets injured.

Him being nervous on the ice doesnt tell much, maybe its how becomes when he has to perform. Vasi sweats a lot (disgusting lol), Rask and Lundqvist break their sticks out of anger etc.

I also never said that Elvis is "the man", I simply said that all of us may have reasons for cautious optimism regarding Elvis.

Im not saying "Im right and you are wrong", Im only saying that you are opinion is radical.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This makes no sense. GAA has nothing to do with # of shots given up by the defense. It also has nothing to do with save %. Goalies can give up 3 goals on 9 shots and win, and they can give up 3 goals on 40 shots and lose. They will have a better save % in the loss. You can lose a bunch of games you score 4 or more goals in, and win more games you score 3 or less in. Last time I checked, hockey is a team game. Comparing Elvis to Korpi is unbelieveably stupid right now because of the games played difference. I don't get why anybody even cares. They are winning games right now as a team. It doesn't matter who is playing, just that they play as a team.
It's pretty much exclusively because of @thebus88's continued obsession with singing the praises of Korpisalo (okay) and tearing down and dismissing anyone who isn't him (less okay).

Frankly, I think the real issue is that Elvis has a personality and will celebrate things, and that's triggering some sort of unconscious "OMG ABOVE THE TEAM PROBLEM PROBLEM HE'LL DESTROY US ALL" reflex reaction. If you look closely, you'll note that all the guys he's hated have "stood out" in some way such that folks pay attention to them, or have been perceived as doing so:
  • Bobrovsky - Vezina trophy, The Hug
  • Werenski - pre- and post-draft hype, then the facial injury and his subsequent "hero" status
  • Merzlikins - he celebrates things and has quirky interviews
  • Wennberg - supposedly his physical attractiveness
  • Wisniewski - high-profile acquisition alongside The Former #7 (who I imagine would also have been on the hate list if he'd stayed)
  • Johansen - a few quirky moments that came out around the ASG (basketball court, "we didn't want him anyways"); was widely considered the team's star player
The only exception to this rule I can recall seeing is Panarin, who was also a very visible star player.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
It aged fine. Merzlikins has looked not terrible and has not single handedly ruined the CBJ season..... congrats.

Man this here is just :facepalm:
This season cant really be ruined. This season is all about the young, their development, the upcoming trades, a realistic look at the old and finding the bottom.

Things like sweeping Tampa and dreaming about more isnt on the table this season.

Personally I think this season is showing to be spectacular. The best I could hope for given the reality of today. CBJ seems to be heading in the right direction, with many unanswered questions ahead, yet the direction doesnt seem to be becoming another Detroit for a decade "which was plausible and even seemed likely in October/November" as even our admins here thought that this team was done.

So no, Elvis could not had ruined the season. And getting 6 points during the trip, including giving the finger to Vegas surely deserves more praise than "has looked non terrible".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad