Player Discussion The Eating Crow Thread

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Not going to eat the whole bird just yet, but I should start getting the plate ready for a few people I've been knocking over the past 2 seasons:

- Tippett - Not completely out of the water with me, but goddamn, he has these guys looking like a good f***ing hockey team. I mean he's still stubborn as a mule but the job is getting done.
- Khaira - I have no idea what's happened in the past few weeks, but man he looks good. Smart plays with the puck, engaged. If he keeps playing like this he can be on my team any day. I used to call him Khairible because he was such a bum stain.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Where did the meaning "to eat crow" come from?

For your edification and education...

Eating crow is a colloquial idiom,[1] used in some English-speaking countries, that means humiliation by admitting having been proven wrong after taking a strong position.[2] The crow is a carrion-eater that is presumably repulsive to eat in the same way that being proven wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.[2] The exact origin of the idiom is unknown, but it probably began with an American story published around 1850 about a dim-witted New York farmer.[3] Eating crow is of a family of idioms having to do with eating and being proven incorrect, such as to "eat dirt" and to "eat your hat" (or shoe), all probably originating from "to eat one's words", which first appears in print in 1571 in one of John Calvin's tracts, on Psalm 62: "God eateth not his words when he hath once spoken".[2]
A similar British idiom is to eat humble pie.[2] The English phrase is something of a pun—"umbles" were the intestines, offal and other less valued meats of a deer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Where did the meaning "to eat crow" come from?

For your edification and education...

Eating crow is a colloquial idiom,[1] used in some English-speaking countries, that means humiliation by admitting having been proven wrong after taking a strong position.[2] The crow is a carrion-eater that is presumably repulsive to eat in the same way that being proven wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.[2] The exact origin of the idiom is unknown, but it probably began with an American story published around 1850 about a dim-witted New York farmer.[3] Eating crow is of a family of idioms having to do with eating and being proven incorrect, such as to "eat dirt" and to "eat your hat" (or shoe), all probably originating from "to eat one's words", which first appears in print in 1571 in one of John Calvin's tracts, on Psalm 62: "God eateth not his words when he hath once spoken".[2]
A similar British idiom is to eat humble pie.[2] The English phrase is something of a pun—"umbles" were the intestines, offal and other less valued meats of a deer.

slander....pffft

;)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Turris. But his leash is pretty long so we got the rest of the season for me not to eat crow just yet :sarcasm:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
And I have never made a knee jerk statement in my life. Said no man ever.;)

I love it when the crow feathers come flying out of peoples mouths unaware while they take an equal and opposite position to something they claim is irrational in their own comments.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Dylan Holloway - was worried about his lack of offence

Mike Smith - thought he was old and broken

Reactions: Aerchon

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Evan Bouchard - I wanted Dobson. Course I haven't really followed Dobson much lately. Is there any consensus on who's projecting better?
Phillip Broberg - I wanted Zegras. Not sure about this one either frankly other than Broberg looks to be trending well at least. I was worried he'd be an offensive black hole. You can't draft a 15 point d-man in the top 10 imo.

Nurse - I didn't think he'd take enough of the wtf mistakes out of his game. I loved his ability to take the puck out of his zone to the red line.. but also thought he may be one of the worst I've seen from the red line to the opposition goal I've ever seen considering the volume of times he does it. His head seems to have caught up to his athletic gifts.

Kharia - God I'd love to eat some serious crow on this one. He's put 10 or so consistent games together.. please please continue as I thought he was a lost cause.

Amateur Scouting - They've been so bad for so long. I'm even scared to trust them now but they seem to be hitting quite regularly. something they never did before.. Defensemen! We've been so god awful at drafting and developing dmen for decades. Now I'm really liking these young guys. Nurse, Bear, Bouchard, Lagesson, Marino, Jones. They need to work on finding goaltending through the draft.. it's the new weakness imo.

I'm still Jaded and short of winning the cup this year I'll be nervous for the next year. memories of 2016-2017. Though that's getting harder as I really like the way the defensive depth is coming along.

Reactions: Biltmore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad