Player Discussion The Eating Crow Thread

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Mike Smith is the only one I really harped on and hated that he was brought back. But it’s 4 games, I’ll give him another month and see what I think

Larsson would be another but I honestly still don’t think he’s been great. He literally can’t move the puck, but it is nice to see him playing with some sort of physicality again

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Nothing yet. Let me know when Kassian does something noteworthy and I'll eat crow then. That contract was terrible the second it was signed.

Well the only noteworthy thing Kassian has done so far this season is make a video cheering on the Flames (I know he was paid to do it but you just don't do stuff like that, especially during the season). Also, why the hell does he even need to make videos for money? Guy is making 3 mil+ per year :huh:

Reactions: Biltmore

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
1. Puljujarvi
2. Smith (so far, it's a small sample size)
3. Lagesson

I've been a pretty consistent Nurse supporter, but his play this year has far exceeded my expectations.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I've been one of the few Mike Smith supporters on this board along with, I believe, @Drivesaitl @bellagiobob and @McFuhryous (just look at how well he performed down the stretch last season, which most people conveniently forgot) so no crow eaten there although nobody expected THIS from Smith and he will likely have some clunkers mixed in at some point.

Puljujarvi is the big one for me. Even as early as this season, I said that he's the master of skating around a lot but not accomplishing much. Really glad to be eating crow on this one.

I think 90% of the board is eating crow in regards to Nurse. He's playing beyond just about all our expectations I'd say. Khaira too although he always seems to have a good stretch of games then fades away eventually.

It seems too early for an "eating crow" thread but it's refreshing to have a thread like this instead of "Fire Tippett" and "Fire Holland" although I'm sure those will get resurrected if they lose tonight. ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Smith could go 15-5, be one of the stars in 10 of them, with 4 of those 5 being stinkers, and those 4 would be all some people would harp on.

When he's on, he gives us a chance any night, and can stack up against the best, IMO.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Glad Smith still has something in the tank, which is nice. Most people who question his competitiveness are proved wrong.

I still think Puljujarvi looks like something between a tank and a car crash on the ice, but he’s making good plays. Yesterday’s goal was a real difference, he got into a good position on the cycle and cashed on a good feed. Up till now almost everything has been with the puck on his stick. He’s definitely improved. Still don’t get the fanboy devotion, someone like Yamamoto is a much better overall player.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Larsson, I thought the game was passing him by.

Khaira. I was really down on him early but he’s done this before where he’s had a good stretch and then reverted back to bad Khaira.

Ennis. Thought he was done.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ennis for me. I said that he looked done when he was waived. He's been awesome since he got back into the lineup.

I guess Turris too. I wasn't a big fan, but I thought he would have stepped into that sheltered bottom six role that Haas had last year and produce some depth scoring. Instead he's filling the Sheahan role of being on the ice for a goal against every game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

662E83DA-09C3-48FC-AA0D-D899761DABE2.gif

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Didn't really care for the Turris signing when it happened, so at least that one feels justified.

Didn't mind the Kahun signing, just not all the hype around it. He's turned out to be what he is. A bottom 6 guy, damn the chemistry.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Every time I shake my head that Smith is starting he plays well. Also did not expect Khaira to play as much or as well as he has. Didn't expect him to be an NHLer after last season

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Russel has been good this year but I think a lot of it is to do with usage. Play him every 2nd night with Larsson and you have a decent low event 2nd pairing

A lot of his struggles was that he was asked to play above his level. That is almost unheard of with this organization but it happened to him

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
How can anyone eat crow on Lagesson? Maybe I'm missing the sense of eating crow, but he never played in the NHL before.

For me:
1. Barrie - not completely conviced yet, but looking good after some expected issues in the beginning.
2. Barrie - I really really did not believe in him ...
5. Turris, thought he'd be a really good 3rd C.

Eating crow, I kind of dislike the idea though. I think I have one or two posts about Barrie in which I questioned if he can/could handle 20+ mins per night. That's it. That's my crow I guess. In general I support our players, no matter what..

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I was really pulling for Turris -- he has thus far proven to be a complete liability. I have to wonder if there is an NHL player still residing in that space or not, because he hasn't looked like one and doesn't appear willing, or able, to adjust his game for a depth role. What an utter disappointment.

Reactions: LaGu

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I was pissed when Puli bolted for Europe despite the fact we had a new coach and GM. He’s been playing good since his return.
Khaira? Nope, trade him while he’s actually doing something cuz we all know his disappearing act is just around the corner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad