GDT: The Draft Lottery Sucks - Coyotes Get #5 Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Keller can play RW and has more experience there anyway. Martinook is a career 4th liner and shouldn’t be given much consideration. Crouse at this point will be lucky to be Martinook.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That’s illogical. But I’m right there with you. I probably like Quinn Hughes 4th best in this draft. But he’s a left shot LD. I like Dahlin 1st best and I don’t care that he’s a left shot because he’s a RD. How dumb is that? I even like Svechnikov 2nd and Zadina 3rd and they’re LHS but they’re RW. Why is Tkachuk being LW so off putting? I don’t know, but I’m right there with you.
Ah, the temptation of putting need over BPA. Please, follow the draft board and go BPA.

Reactions: Jakey53 and hbk

rt

May 13, 2004
He's not like his brother in being a **** disturber. He's just physical without the antics.
Brady? I don’t know man. I’ve watched a handful of BU and USA games this year and other teams definitely want to murderlize him. I’m trying to remember which game it was (maybe Quinnipac?) where he looked exactly like Cory Perry looked against us in that game early this season that ruined our team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Brady? I don’t know man. I’ve watched a handful of BU and USA games this year and other teams definitely want to murderlize him. I’m trying to remember which game it was (maybe Quinnipac?) where he looked exactly like Cory Perry looked against us in that game early this season that ruined our team.
Does Perry have 1 or 2 Stanley Cup rings?

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Because

Domi
Keller
Perlini
Martinook
Crouse

Where as RW is
Panik

I still think Domi is gone. Perlini is great, but not a consistent contributor by any means. Will anyone be shocked if he doesn't put it together? Crouse tops out as a great third liner. Why in the world would you factor Martinook at the draft? He's a fourth liner. Maybe third if he gets his act together or second lined if Tippett gets a job. You wouldn't not add a right wing because you have Rinaldo on the roster. You shouldn't weigh any of that anyway, but even if you ignore BPA, I don't see a compelling reason to not take a good LW prospect.

Add the best player available. My vote is Wahlstrom or Tkachuk.

I'm biased against D selections in the first half of the first round because I think it's harder to add impact forwards past that than it is for D which is less predictable. Sort of an extension of my "never draft a goalie on the first two rounds"-rule, but far softer. I would still take a D if I thought he was clearly BPA, but if the margin is razor thin, the toss up goes to the forward on opportunity cost.

I trust the scouting brain-trust far more than years past, so it will be easy to get excited even if they take Bouchard, Boqvist, etc. I have watched very little this year, so my opinions are pretty soft.

rt

May 13, 2004
Does Perry have 1 or 2 Stanley Cup rings?
I don’t dislike Tkachuk. I would never argue that Perry isn’t an effective player. I’d consider taking Perry 1st overall in this draft probably if I was guaranteed the next Perry exactly. I wasn’t saying Tkachuk is a bad player and I wasn’t saying Perry is a bad player. The BeSeeingYouSeattle said that Brady didn’t stir the post like Matt. I’m saying he does. Matt was not THIS much of a rat as an amateur either. I’m sure Brady will be exactly as nasty as Matt. That’s all I’m saying.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yes, Brady will be just as nasty as Matt. But we have some nasty, could use a little more, but we're missing goal scoring by a landslide and a couple prospects in this draft score goals at a better rate than anyone else.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don’t dislike Tkachuk. I would never argue that Perry isn’t an effective player. I’d consider taking Perry 1st overall in this draft probably if I was guaranteed the next Perry exactly. I wasn’t saying Tkachuk is a bad player and I wasn’t saying Perry is a bad player. The BeSeeingYouSeattle said that Brady didn’t stir the post like Matt. I’m saying he does. Matt was not THIS much of a rat as an amateur either. I’m sure Brady will be exactly as nasty as Matt. That’s all I’m saying.
Matt is a rat. Brady is a bull.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yes, Brady will be just as nasty as Matt. But we have some nasty, could use a little more, but we're missing goal scoring by a landslide and a couple prospects in this draft score goals at a better rate than anyone else.
What we’re missing most is elite talent. Tkachuk isn’t that, I don’t think. Is Dobson? I don’t know. Hughes could be. Wahlstrom maybe. Possibly Bouchard.

STHLM

Jun 30, 2017
Stockholm
Greetings from the Rangers board,
Would you guys be open to trading your pick to NY and if so, for What? Ex Zucc (retained) + TBL/BOS 1st, or is more needed?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Who? Maybe Crouse, if he's in the NHL. I think Fischer is closer to mild than wild.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
Greetings from the Rangers board,
Would you guys be open to trading your pick to NY and if so, for What? Ex Zucc (retained) + TBL/BOS 1st, or is more needed?
Wait? What? You’ve got a 31 year old winger with a single year left on his contract you’d like to pair up with the 31st overall pick for one in the Top 5?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Man...this is a tuff one.

Absolutley loved Tkachuk's game at the WJC. He was fantastic. The rest of his year was not as impressive. Wahlstrom has shot up everyone's list as one of the best goal scorers available. His play away from the puck at the U18 was a bot concerning. Tendency to float. And that whiff with 1 second on the clock in the gold medal game :ha: He is a goal scorer and those are hard to find.

Then there is the group of Dmen. I probably favour Bouchard. ATM.

I feel one of Montreal or Ottawa are going to go a bit off the board and maybe make the decision easier for Chayka ie Montreal taking Tkachuk and Ottawa taking Boqvist (the next Karlsson?) leaving Zadina available.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Man...this is a tuff one.

Absolutley loved Tkachuk's game at the WJC. He was fantastic. The rest of his year was not as impressive. Wahlstrom has shot up everyone's list as one of the best goal scorers available. His play away from the puck at the U18 was a bot concerning. Tendency to float. And that whiff with 1 second on the clock in the gold medal game :ha: He is a goal scorer and those are hard to find.

I’ve read similar criticism of Zadina regarding his off puck play. Very few 17-18 year olds are refined products in those areas.

You can significant develop and improve play away from the puck, but you can’t really develop goal scoring to the same extent. With few exceptions, you either have it or you don’t.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

rt

May 13, 2004
I definitely like Zadina a whole he’ll of a lot more than Wahlstrom. Completely different class of prospect.

I really can’t decide between Wahlstrom, Hughes, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Boqvist and Dobson, though.

Last edited:

STHLM

Jun 30, 2017
Stockholm
Wait? What? You’ve got a 31 year old winger with a single year left on his contract you’d like to pair up with the 31st overall pick for one in the Top 5?
I’m just trying to understand how high the offer would be, what would you want from the Rangers for the 5th?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I definitely like Zadina a whole he’ll of a lot more than Wahlstrom. Completely different class of prospect.

Zadina is more refined overall than Wahlstrom, although both are opportunistic scorers. I like Zadina a bit more but the gap between him and Wahlstrom is smaller than the gap between them and Svechnikov.

Reactions: Matias Maccete
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad