GDT: The Draft Lottery Sucks - Coyotes Get #5 Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Zadina is more refined overall than Wahlstrom, although both are opportunistic scorers. I like Zadina a bit more but the gap between him and Wahlstrom is smaller than the gap between them and Svechnikov.
I disagree. I think Zadina is an elite prospect and Wahlstrom is a prospect.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think both Zadina and Walhstrom have 30-35 goal upside if they develop as intended. And I think Forsberg is a solid comparable for Zadina, so a 65-70 point winger. Wahlstrom is Boeser 2.0.

Svechnikov has 40-45 goal upside, IMO.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I think both Zadina and Walhstrom have 30-35 goal upside if they develop as intended. And I think Forsberg is a solid comparable for Zadina, so a 65-70 point winger. Wahlstrom is Boeser 2.0.

Svechnikov has 40-45 goal upside, IMO.

Isn't Zadina quite slow?

I agree that Zadina and Wahlstom are fairly close. I'd love to take Wahlstrom I just don't have the patience to wait for him to contribute to the team.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Isn't Zadina quite slow?

I agree that Zadina and Wahlstom are fairly close. I'd love to take Wahlstrom I just don't have the patience to wait for him to contribute to the team.

I would say Zadina’s skating is similar to Laine’s when he was a prospect. Doesn’t have a top end afterburner and will need to work on first step acceleration and crossovers, but his overall agility is fine and he’s strong on his skates too.

If I had to give numeral ratings I’d probably give Zadina a 7-7.5/10 on his skating, Wahlstrom an 8-8.5/10, Svechnikov a 9/10.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, Brady will be just as nasty as Matt. But we have some nasty, could use a little more, but we're missing goal scoring by a landslide and a couple prospects in this draft score goals at a better rate than anyone else.
Who do the Coyotes have that is nasty? Schenn and Rinaldo will probably be gone.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Correct. Or offer a young player under contract that we’d actualky want. Or both.

Aw, as a Norwegian I am very unhappy to hear this verdict over Zucc. My hometown hero is one of the guys who can make people fall in love with hockey. Only one year left, but that would be enough to make him grow roots in another town, and he is not known as a troublemaker come contract day. Well well.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’m not sure you look for nasty and secondary scoring/limited offensive upside with a 5th overall pick. You look for skill, scoring and top end potential. This team is more short on offensive skill than anything else and nasty can be found elsewhere.

Tkachuk’s scoring ability is being undersold here.

Reactions: Jakey53

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Just want to give a kudos to this forum in general in regards to prospect discussion. The main boards prospect section is essentially every prospect is meh besides the top two.

Reactions: Yandover

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Does the 5OA + Domi and another add get us to 2OA? I want Svech. Especially with what I have read about him on here.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That’s illogical. But I’m right there with you. I probably like Quinn Hughes 4th best in this draft. But he’s a left shot LD. I like Dahlin 1st best and I don’t care that he’s a left shot because he’s a RD. How dumb is that? I even like Svechnikov 2nd and Zadina 3rd and they’re LHS but they’re RW. Why is Tkachuk being LW so off putting? I don’t know, but I’m right there with you.

Well, for me, power forwards have a much smaller window of effectiveness over their careers than snipers and scorers because of how they play, so if you pick a power forward before a scorer you need to make sure that said power forward is worth the added risk and can compensate for that smaller window with quicker impact. I don't know if Brady Tkachuk can do that. And I'm also scared of the "name factor" with the Tkachuks, to be honest. Then add all that to the fact that we are so overloaded with left shot players, and I land on Wahlstrom before Tkachuk.

None of my opinions on this make sense or are probably even valid, but that's where I am.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Does the 5OA + Domi and another add get us to 2OA? I want Svech. Especially with what I have read about him on here.

I don't think we have any combination of assets that would interest Carolina. Carolina is like us in that they need talent. And they really need it at center but aren't in a position to be picky.

Keller straight up I think is the only thing they'd actually trade us 2OA for short unloading half the roster.

There are some twitter rumblings from various checkmarks that Carolina would entertain trading it, so maybe their prices aren't as high as I would demand. But I think if you're a team like the Canes (or Coyotes) and you are in the position to take the highest level of talent out there from a good draft like this one, you take it. They haven't had a top two pick since Staal.

Reactions: SR

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think we could make a trade with Carolina, but not related to 2OV. They're going to hire a yes-man GM and I'd like to see GMJC take advantage. Both Lindholm and Skinner are interesting adds.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I think there is a good chance he can be a 60 point or so guy that provides a presence on the ice but I’m not sure when or where he has shown he can be much more.

I don’t dislike him, if he’s the pick I would support it. I’d just prefer they went with higher skill and potential.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I think with the current state of ownership, the Coyotes will want to keep spending low. But if there was a way, I would like to see them strike a deal with the Jets for Trouba who will no doubt have trouble signing him again, and then we could spend our pick on some fire power up front. I realize the cost for Trouba would be high but Chayka could work it out somehow.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

As stated before, I think Brady is better than a 6% shooter but other than skating my eyes don’t see any other area where he’s better than Matthew was as a prospect.

If he can end up like his brother as a 25g/60 point power winger, anyone would be happy. But I do think that although he has a high floor there’s reasonable uncertainty about his upside. And to be blunt, his puck skills and shot are inferior to Wahlstrom’s.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Dahlin goes #1. Is there any chance at all that Montreal goes defense, given that they are in such need? Perhaps we offer a swap, our #2 and Wood or Capobianco. That way Montreal can grab one of the big 3 defensemen at #5 knowing that we will be taking Svechnikov. Pipe dream, I know.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Will take a helluva lot more than Wood and/or Capo to move up.

My guess is the Habs take one of the guys who can step into the lineup right away, because Marc Bergevin likely won't be around to see guys like Hughes, etc. He's toast if it's another lost season in Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->