OT - NO POLITICS The Dog Days Of Summer.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It's been so rough here. Legit hasn't rained in nearly two months, and we have like 100 fires burning. Air quality is an 11+ on a scale of 1-10.

1691676509961.png

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Those Hawaii wildfires are devastating

I have a colleague that does Feng Shui there. She hasn't had to evacuate yet but things are pretty dire. Praying for them.

Also not Canadian, but would second this, and the staying in Canmore part. Nothing special about the town itself but it has some solid accommodation and food options that are much cheaper than Banff, and the Three Sisters mountain range towering over the town is quite spectacular in its own right.

Banff itself is beautiful and the Rockies deserve their rep as some of the most stunning mountains around, although that also makes them really busy. Heaps of opportunities to get active outdoors but if you want to take things at a more leisurely pace their are also plenty of good places to stop and just take in the views. Few hot springs around too if you're into that sort of thing.

Jasper at the northern end of that part of the Rockies is another option. Haven't been there (yet!) but I believe it is also really nice while being at least a little less super-touristy than Banff.
Jasper and Canmore is what I keep hearing about. I'm not a "hey lets stay where the crowds are" kind of person, so in my research am looking at less popular places.

@Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I got to play that Golf course one day.
I'm hopeful, but it will depend on how long we are there. Next weekend, we are taking a long weekend to Tubac Golf and Spa Resort, and I'll be playing there at least one round. It's where the bulk of the movie Tin Cup was filmed, and I'm really looking forward to playing that one too.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Boston peep, but I highly recommend it. My daughter and I stayed there a few days on our Canada trip in 2019. Stayed in Canmore, which is just a town, about a 20 minute drive to Banff if I recall. Banff was an amazing town. Like North Conway but the shops and restaurants went on for blocks and blocks.

We skated on Lake Louise and Two Jack Lake, and skied Mt. Norquay.

I'd love to go back in the summer, the Rockies are amazing and plenty of space to hike and bike.
Thanks for the recommendation! We are already looking forward to our trip there next year.

But then I got to "skated on Lake" and I was like

So yeah, summer it is!

I contacted a former coworker in Hawaii havent heard from her yet
One of my clients is in Hawaii, but mostly they are based on Kauai. They are still pretty shaken about it though.

• Haha
Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Thanks for the recommendation! We are already looking forward to our trip there next year.

But then I got to "skated on Lake" and I was like

So yeah, summer it is!

One of my clients is in Hawaii, but mostly they are based on Kauai. They are still pretty shaken about it though.

I'm guessing you don't get as much experience skating on frozen ponds in AZ? :laugh:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It's been so rough here. Legit hasn't rained in nearly two months, and we have like 100 fires burning. Air quality is an 11+ on a scale of 1-10.

View attachment 735030
Take care and I wish you the best. How close are you to the fires? Get stuff ready in case you need to evacuate.

My daughter lives in Calif, I always tell her I would much rather have a blizzard...than a fire.

another one gone :(

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Take care and I wish you the best. How close are you to the fires? Get stuff ready in case you need to evacuate.

My daughter lives in Calif, I always tell her I would much rather have a blizzard...than a fire.

another one gone :(

I work in health care so I won't be evacuating unless it gets absolutely insane, and even then, we're re-deployed to another town. The fire isn't really a threat to us here now, but the smoke is just absolutely brutal!

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Forgive my ignorance on the topic but, I've always wanted to travel to Quebec, most importantly, Montreal. And Nova Scotia.

I need a passport for that correct?

Not that I have plans any time soon. But I have dreams of visiting those places for years.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Forgive my ignorance on the topic but, I've always wanted to travel to Quebec, most importantly, Montreal. And Nova Scotia.

Not that I have plans any time soon. But I have dreams of visiting those places for years.
Yes you need a passport.

Years ago you did not.

I have seen Nova scotia (Dad was born there) and some of Quebec. it is beautiful.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Yes. Though you could get the Passport Card which is cheaper but only lets you cross the border to Canada or Mexico via ground, but if you're getting a Passport you should get a real Passport as you may want to travel someplace else in the next ten years.

Reactions: Mione134

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yes. Though you could get the Passport Card which is cheaper but only lets you cross the border to Canada or Mexico via ground, but if you're getting a Passport you should get a real Passport as you may want to travel someplace else in the next ten years.
You can get the book and card at the same time.

I can't believe people don't know that you need a passport to go to Canada.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It started after 9/11. Before that you didn't need one. I've been to Canada 4 times before 9/11 and I never had a passport.

Hmm. This was after 9/11.

In the event, I would very much like to revisit the Hockey Hall of Fame in TO. I haven't been there since 1976.

I would also like to visit Montreal, and Saskatchewan, where my great, great grandmother emigrated from Germany.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Do you?

We traveled from Detroit to Albany through Cananda/Niagra Falls. I don't believe we were ever asked for a passport.

I do recall telling the Canadian officer at a check point that "Z rules!"
I would imagine you would need at least the passport card in that situation. You for sure need it if you are planning to visit the country.

A lot of countries also have rules on traveling with a passport that is set to expire. I had to have a passport that was at least 6 months from expiring when I went to the Phillipines.

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad