OT - NO POLITICS The Dog Days Of Summer.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It started after 9/11. Before that you didn't need one. I've been to Canada 4 times before 9/11 and I never had a passport.
It used to be a birth certificate. Same with Bermuda.

I got both when I renewed my passport and I carry my passport card with my license especially traveling out of state. I am not getting the Real ID until I renew my license next year.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

I got both when I renewed my passport and I carry my passport card with my license especially traveling out of state. I am not getting the Real ID until I renew my license next year.

Got the real ID when I changed my address.

Hmm. This was after 9/11.

In the event, I would very much like to revisit the Hockey Hall of Fame in TO. I haven't been there since 1976.

I would also like to visit Montreal, and Saskatchewan, where my great, great grandmother emigrated from Germany.

I checked. It's since 2009 (technically after 9/11, lol). So I misremembered.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
That makes complete sense. Unless I move between now and next October, I am just going to wait.

I had heard horror stories. So I opted for hard copy gas/electricity bills in the new place. Had my passport, old license, 2 bills, bank account, birth certificate, mortgage, everything I could think of. After the 4th thing I handed the clerk, she said "Aright, you are done! I don't need your whole life!" It was funny.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I had heard horror stories. So I opted for hard copy gas/electricity bills in the new place. Had my passport, old license, 2 bills, bank account, birth certificate, mortgage, everything I could think of. After the 4th thing I handed the clerk, she said "Aright, you are done! I don't need your whole life!" It was funny.
When I got mine, as soon as I walked up to the DMV worker she was pretty grumpy. "Do you have all your documentation? Is it stapled together?" I said I had everything and no, it wasn't stapled together. That actually made her happy, apparently a lot of people stapled it together and she had to take it apart to scan everything.

Once she realized I had my act together she was much more pleasant lol

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My great-Aunt used to run booze down from Canada to the United States during Prohibition. She'd drive to the border, they'd ask her why she was there & she'd say something like "visiting relatives" and then head straight for the nearest Canadian equivalent of a package store. She'd buy the liquor, drive somewhere quiet and then put the bottles inside the back of the car's seats (she'd cut them & sewn them back up) and back to America she'd go. She never got caught. True story.

I want to be like her when I grow up :yo:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It started after 9/11. Before that you didn't need one. I've been to Canada 4 times before 9/11 and I never had a passport.
June 1, 2009, is the date listed where a passport was needed to travel to Canada.

I need to renew my license in Dec and will get the "real ID" then

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I would go going in blind in Quebec and Montreal. But I love the old buildings and restaurants. I love all that stuff. I need to do my re-search. Definitely would be traveling by Amtrak or train.

I just really want that type of experience. I love a good train ride.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I would go going in blind in Quebec and Montreal. But I love the old buildings and restaurants. I love all that stuff. I need to do my re-search. Definitely would be traveling by Amtrak or train.

You would be better with a car so you can see more.

Reactions: rfournier103

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Old City Quebec is the coolest, I'd recommend that.

Montreal's alright, but I enjoyed Quebec more.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Recently got my TSA clearance.
I tried last year and the clown at this particular office said my divorce decree wasn't official. :laugh: We had just used it to get our marriage license in June, so I knew it was fine. (this gives proof of name change)

went into the airport in AZand the girl was fantastic. all my paperwork was fine. in addition, I couldn't extend my left thumb for fingerprints because of my paralysis on that side....she was amazingly kind, patient and accommodating. TSA was happy to give me clearance.
I'm convinced sky harbor is the friendliest airport in the country.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hmm. This was after 9/11.

In the event, I would very much like to revisit the Hockey Hall of Fame in TO. I haven't been there since 1976.

I would also like to visit Montreal, and Saskatchewan, where my great, great grandmother emigrated from Germany.
The U.S. State Dept. announces all citizens of Canada, the U.S., Mexico and Bermuda will need passports by Jan. 1, 2007, to enter the U.S. by air, and by Jan. 1, 2008, to enter by land and sea.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Good heavens lol

My teeth are vibrating just reading that

Screenshot_20230810_220511_Facebook.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad