OT - NO POLITICS The Dog Days Of Summer.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Always trust the locals............................ currently in Niagara Falls, ON

Got a great night's sleep so I am good to go

Screenshot 2023-08-09 071138.png

Screenshot 2023-08-09 071002.png

Screenshot 2023-08-09 070757.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
@caz16 My mom's Persian cucumbers have been prolific. Because you harvest when they are smaller, it allows it to continue to produce. She's had a number of tomatoes but they weren't ready to eat when I was there. Her basil was out of control and some went to flower so I gave them quite the "haircut". The caprese skewers with balsamic glaze I made with the harvest was amazing.

I started my click and grow indoor gardens 9 days ago and within 3 days I had germination. I had a dud green lettuce pod and one of my lemon basil's failed to germinate so I replaced them with romaine and another lemon basil.

I've got 2 grow anything pods with 2 dwarf zinnia varieties and my Thumbellina's are thriving. I may actually get a flower in 35 days. My Lilliput variety is growing a little slower. I also have a mini red cherry tomato, lavender, regular basil, 2 lemon basil and 2 romaine lettuce going. I will likely need to transplant my basil plants and ask my aunt to watch them while I am away.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
@caz16 My mom's Persian cucumbers have been prolific. Because you harvest when they are smaller, it allows it to continue to produce. She's had a number of tomatoes but they weren't ready to eat when I was there. Her basil was out of control and some went to flower so I gave them quite the "haircut". The caprese skewers with balsamic glaze I made with the harvest was amazing.

I started my click and grow indoor gardens 9 days ago and within 3 days I had germination. I had a dud green lettuce pod and one of my lemon basil's failed to germinate so I replaced them with romaine and another lemon basil.

I've got 2 grow anything pods with 2 dwarf zinnia varieties and my Thumbellina's are thriving. I may actually get a flower in 35 days. My Lilliput variety is growing a little slower. I also have a mini red cherry tomato, lavender, regular basil, 2 lemon basil and 2 romaine lettuce going. I will likely need to transplant my basil plants and ask my aunt to watch them while I am away.
That's awesome! My daughter also grows lots of herbs and flowers, along with the veggies and strawberries. She brought me a flower bouquet with lots of herbs included in it and it was so beautiful - just passing by it and rubbing the leaves was heavenly! Lavender is one of my favourites!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Made a peach and raspberry smoothie with a coconut milk based greek yogurt. Added some lactaid milk and some old fashioned oats. Yummy. The nuttiness of the yogurt and oats really balances the sweetness of the peaches. It is nice to finally find a yogurt alternative that tastes good.

It was roughly 3 cups of peaches, 1 cup raspberries, 1/3 cup old fashioned oats, 1 cup of peach coconut milk yogurt and lactaid to cover everything. In total it took about 3 1/2 cups of milk.

It makes roughly 48 oz of shake which you can refrigerate or freeze the extra for shakes over the next few days. I had a 24 oz shake as I used it to sub for breakfast and lunch and saved the rest for tomorrow.

Reactions: caz16

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Made a peach and raspberry smoothie with a coconut milk based greek yogurt. Added some lactaid milk and some old fashioned oats. Yummy. The nuttiness of the yogurt and oats really balances the sweetness of the peaches. It is nice to finally find a yogurt alternative that tastes good.

It was roughly 3 cups of peaches, 1 cup raspberries, 1/3 cup old fashioned oats, 1 cup of peach coconut milk yogurt and lactaid to cover everything. In total it took about 3 1/2 cups of milk.

It makes roughly 48 oz of shake which you can refrigerate or freeze the extra for shakes over the next few days. I had a 24 oz shake as I used it to sub for breakfast and lunch and saved the rest for tomorrow.

This is so bizarre. I just finished my own shake:

1 cup green (plant-based) protein
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon black raspberry powder (google it)
1 teaspoon lionsmane mushroom (google it)
1 tablespoon hemp hearts
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 cup frozen avocado

Reactions: Kovi and Alicat

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Just took a quick call about being on a podcast series with a lady from NY.
She asked me about my business and when I started talking she exclaimed, "I know who you are!"

She had seen me speak online in March. so I'll be on sometime in the Fall.

This felt good, I've been really disjointed these past two weeks because energy is moving around and I've been battling some sort of tummy bug.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Heading home from Italy on Friday but I cannot get over how amazing Sorrento, Capri and Anacapri are.

I’ll share a couple of pics but trust me they won’t scratch the surface of how amazing this part of the world is!

IMG_5181.jpeg
IMG_5056.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5130.jpeg
    IMG_5130.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 5

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
My company is being featured on chronicle tonight for using AI to generate a beer recipe and can art concept. Check it out if you’re into that kind of stuff.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Heading home from Italy on Friday but I cannot get over how amazing Sorrento, Capri and Anacapri are.

I’ll share a couple of pics but trust me they won’t scratch the surface of how amazing this part of the world is!

View attachment 734826View attachment 734827

Amalfi on the southern coast of the peninsula is like the crown jewel of that area but everywhere around there is truly beautiful with amazing cuisine, culture, architecture and Med lifestyles. Gotta have goat cheese stuffed and fried Med sardines with a local white before you go. I don't recall the name of the dish but it was amazing last time I was in the area.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
We are looking at Banff area for next year to celebrate our 5 year.

Where my Canada peeps at?
Boston peep, but I highly recommend it. My daughter and I stayed there a few days on our Canada trip in 2019. Stayed in Canmore, which is just a town, about a 20 minute drive to Banff if I recall. Banff was an amazing town. Like North Conway but the shops and restaurants went on for blocks and blocks.

We skated on Lake Louise and Two Jack Lake, and skied Mt. Norquay.

I'd love to go back in the summer, the Rockies are amazing and plenty of space to hike and bike.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Boston peep, but I highly recommend it. My daughter and I stayed there a few days on our Canada trip in 2019. Stayed in Canmore, which is just a town, about a 20 minute drive to Banff if I recall. Banff was an amazing town. Like North Conway but the shops and restaurants went on for blocks and blocks.

We skated on Lake Louise and Two Jack Lake, and skied Mt. Norquay.

I'd love to go back in the summer, the Rockies are amazing and plenty of space to hike and bike.

Also not Canadian, but would second this, and the staying in Canmore part. Nothing special about the town itself but it has some solid accommodation and food options that are much cheaper than Banff, and the Three Sisters mountain range towering over the town is quite spectacular in its own right.

Banff itself is beautiful and the Rockies deserve their rep as some of the most stunning mountains around, although that also makes them really busy. Heaps of opportunities to get active outdoors but if you want to take things at a more leisurely pace their are also plenty of good places to stop and just take in the views. Few hot springs around too if you're into that sort of thing.

Jasper at the northern end of that part of the Rockies is another option. Haven't been there (yet!) but I believe it is also really nice while being at least a little less super-touristy than Banff.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Amalfi on the southern coast of the peninsula is like the crown jewel of that area but everywhere around there is truly beautiful with amazing cuisine, culture, architecture and Med lifestyles. Gotta have goat cheese stuffed and fried Med sardines with a local white before you go. I don't recall the name of the dish but it was amazing last time I was in the area.
Thankfully we’re walking an average of 5 miles per day, otherwise this trio would have added a solid 10 lbs.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Well I'm super glad it has cooled off some (low 80s 50s at night). Our house through the wall AC (28000 BTU) decided to kick the bucket. First it wouldn't turn off, even with the power button. Was using the GFCI on the cord to turn it on and off, now no cold air.

Same size replacement is like $2500. Smaller size $1000. Problem is it weighs 203 lbs and AC places won't remove it or install the new one.....200 lbs is above my ability now.

Having someone from Home Depot come next week, according to them a heat pump will cost about the same, and they will take out and remove the old one. They said they would patch the wall (believe that when I see it). We have log siding and I do have some that is close to patch the hole. I will likely do that part myself inside and out

Seeing that we are selling in less than 2 years, heat pump is best idea and should add some value

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad