GDT: The Deadline is upon us - please don't overpay on anything

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Lebrun said Dundon hates the ideas of rentals(Vatanen), but did approve it. Have to think they make a run a signing him even if that means someone is shipped out to recoup assets.

You'd think he could be a bit of a steal signing with his injury season.

Ship out Gardiner and give the money to Vats.

Damm good D-man when healthy.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
So who would have picked us to having to get "creative" with LTIR to solve our cap issues. (the order of the trades was important apparently.). so we can maximize our relief with Hamilton and Pesce...

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
As DW just said, they need to get to the playoffs again for the business aspect. It would really stink financially and morale wise, for the entire organization to put so much time and effort into the season to come up short especially in our fickle market. Even if injuries are the primary reason, it would be a lost opportunity with no certainty that fans would come back next year even with the great marketing and promotions. No guarantees the playoffs will happen but you can't really blame them for taking some calculated risks.

Poor Checkers though. Wow, they had a good thing going and players loved by the market.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Canes D next year, if Hamilton is dealt and no RHD brought in:

Slavin-Pesce
Gardiner-Skjei
Bean-Fleury

If Hamilton is dealt and Vatanen extends:

Slavin-Vatanen
Skjei-Pesce
Gardiner-Fleury
Bean

If Hamilton stays and Vatanen leaves in UFA:

Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Pesce
Gardiner-Fleury
Bean

Pretty nice situation to be in. Vatanen is only really needed short-term unless Hamilton is dealt.
Option 1: :help:
Option 2: :ha:
Option 3: :confused:

Option 4:
Slavin-Hamilton
Skjei-Pesce
Fleury-Vantanen

:thumbu:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So is Reimer expected back quickly? Because all the F/D deals in the world won't fix that we have an AHL goaltending duo stepping in for NHL goalies (as meh as they can be at times).

Vatanen was the deal we HAD to make (and I think we got the best value from). A goalie seemed imminent even if just a Dell/Miller type move. Skjei seems to be the odd one giving us another Faulk/CDH scenario. Trocheck was a bit steeper than I like, especially because the injury concerns could turn out to be the forward version of Gardiner (or a termed Haula)...I think we overpaid by Luos/Wallmark, which isn't the end of the world. AND if he is back to 50-60 or form then it's a win likely for both teams.

The big loser today is my Checkers, who are now short Goat, Luos, Kooks, Claesson, Priskie, Ned, & Forseberg with only Keane coming in (and Booth + Helvig recalls)

Reactions: MinJaBen

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Whoever does the most wins the day. That doesn’t necessarily translate to actual success
Barnaby loved the moves we made. We added 3 really good players without giving up that much in actual value. The Trochek trade alone is one he heaped praise on that the best Florida might be able to say about it in the long term is that it evens out.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Saturday proved this isn’t necessarily true...
I’d love to believe this team is capable of playing like that every night, but they certainly haven’t been that this year much at all imo.

Still, I’ve gotten the feeling Haula was a negative in the room and with fresh blood may come some consistency that way. These are three pretty solid players.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
So, tomorrow's lineup?

Svech-Aho-TT
Nino-Staal-Foegele
Dzingel-Trocheck-Necas
McGinn-Martinook-Williams

Slavin-TvR
Gardner-Skjei
Fleury-Edmundson

scratches: Vatanen, Hamilton, Pesce, Mrazek, Reimer

Reactions: zman77

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
You'd think he could be a bit of a steal signing with his injury season.

Ship out Gardiner and give the money to Vats.

Damm good D-man when healthy.

One caveat, Vatanen has never played more than 72 games in a season....and in many of those, significantly fewer.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So is Reimer expected back quickly? Because all the F/D deals in the world won't fix that we have an AHL goaltending duo stepping in for NHL goalies (as meh as they can be at times).

Vatanen was the deal we HAD to make (and I think we got the best value from). A goalie seemed imminent even if just a Dell/Miller type move. Skjei seems to be the odd one giving us another Faulk/CDH scenario. Trocheck was a bit steeper than I like, especially because the injury concerns could turn out to be the forward version of Gardiner (or a termed Haula)...I think we overpaid by Luos/Wallmark, which isn't the end of the world. AND if he is back to 50-60 or form then it's a win likely for both teams.

The big loser today is my Checkers, who are now short Goat, Luos, Kooks, Claesson, Priskie, Ned, & Forseberg with only Keane coming in (and Booth + Helvig recalls)

I would presume Mrazek back before Reimer based on what I'm hearing/seeing. I imagine the question is how bad Mrazek's concussion is. No idea what happened with Reimer (I mean I know what happened but not what could physiologically be wrong with him)

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad