GDT: The Deadline is upon us - please don't overpay on anything

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Athletic Chicago:
What we're hearing about the Blackhawks the night before the...
But according to multiple sources, Stan Bowman’s asking price was too high for the rental-wary Hurricanes, who quickly moved on...
... The sense I get is that Carolina still isn’t going to pay a high price — namely, one or both of its two first-round picks — for Lehner. The question then becomes whether Bowman would even be willing to part with Lehner, and lose months of potential contract-negotiation time, for a mere second-round pick.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Do we need a Deadline Thread GDT?

And on another note, it’s somewhat satisfying seeing that Mark Lazerus Athletic article where the sentiment is that CAR refuses to overpay. Other fanbases just flat out refuse to see logic and sense down to the last minute.

I was even more satisfied to see some frustrated Hawks fans in the comments saying they would end up with nothing if they refuse to budge.

There are some realizing Lehner may be great but the market is small.

Reactions: AeroFishOne

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Do we need a Deadline Thread GDT?

And on another note, it’s somewhat satisfying seeing that Mark Lazerus Athletic article where the sentiment is that CAR refuses to overpay. Other fanbases just flat out refuse to see logic and sense down to the last minute.

Done, I'll lock the Trade/Roster building thread down for the rest of the day and re-open tomorrow.

Also just a reminder to verify anything out there about a trade being from credible sources. This is the time of year for fakery as we've already seen with the bunk Hall trade this morning and the bunk Vatanen trade about a week back where the Canes quickly Spiderman meme'd that situation.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
The rumors are that Lehner is looking for 7 years on his next contract. Should/would we be willing to give him that if the AAV isn't unreasonable?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The rumors are that Lehner is looking for 7 years on his next contract. Should/would we be willing to give him that if the AAV isn't unreasonable?

No.

Too long a deal. Most I’d put out there would be something like $6-6.5M x 5yrs, preferably 4. And that then presents you the problem of having to move one or both of Mrazek and Reimer this off-season.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Also just a reminder to verify anything out there about a trade being from credible sources. This is the time of year for fakery as we've already seen with the bunk Hall trade this morning and the bunk Vatanen trade about a week back where the Canes quickly Spiderman meme'd that situation.

DentalHorribleDungenesscrab-size_restricted.gif

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I wouldn't sign any goalie for more than 2-3 years if I could manage it. So much can go sideways with a position where it is all on one guy and every mistake he makes is polarized. No contending team can afford their starting goalie going through a 20-30 game rough patch. Andersen in Toronto is in the midst of one right now it is ugly. Imagine that stretch coming in year 2 of a 7 year deal. It would be like Skinner with Buffalo this year but at least Buffalo can just bury him on a lower line as one of 12 forwards.

Better to collect picks, consistently draft good young goalie talent, keep goalie contract term to a minimum, and always keep some options in your back pocket.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Don't give him that. I'm not opposed to renting Lehner, especially if Mrazek is in the concussion protocol.

I'd be upfront with Lehner that we're not talking extension until after the season ends and figure it out then. But if he wants 7 years then walk away and see if he comes back on July 2 or 3.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Just figured out I get TSN Tradecentre through espn +, score. Much better than the Sportsnet crap on the NHL Network.

OK, finally found something that would make me consider ESPN+.

I'd consider the package (Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+) deal, but I paid upfront for 3 years of Disney+ at about $5/month so the package deal doesn't do anything for me.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
OK, finally found something that would make me consider ESPN+.

I'd consider the package (Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+) deal, but I paid upfront for 3 years of Disney+ at about $5/month so the package deal doesn't do anything for me.

Yeah, we had Disney+ for the 3 year old. Added the ESPN + bundle plus Hulu a month or so ago because I wanted to watch a few more WJC games that weren’t on NHL Network. Don’t use it much, but sometimes, like today, it has its perks.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I had a guy spam my PMs yesterday because I had the gall to say that, given our injuries over the weekend, we aren't in the position to trade a 1st or any valuable prospect for a rental.

I just laughed.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad